TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my drivers side seatbelt wont retract itself back when i take it off i have to do it manually...and i am lazy and tired of having to do it everytime...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I asked a simlar question not too long ago... I was told to wash the seatbelts :) Its still on my to do list but its gettin up there towards the top. When it warms up i am gonna pull the bench out anyway and cleap the carpet really good, figure i can do the seatbelts at the same time. If washing them does not work there is some other little trick but i can't remember the link to the webpage... do a quick search you'll find it.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
me too

toubabokoomi said:
my drivers side seatbelt wont retract itself back when i take it off i have to do it manually...and i am lazy and tired of having to do it everytime...
welcome to the club.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
both my trucks seatbelts wont retract.i got my own club.lol

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Warranty

Hello Guys,
My wifes car "MAzda 626" had a similar problem. I tried a few things but nothing was a great fix. I was talking to the dealership about it and they told me that in the " United States " a law required them to warranty the seat belt for the life of the vehicle. They changed out hers without a question. So it may be worth a call to the dealership to see if in fact this is covered on any year Toyota. They made reference to the liability issue regarding seatbelts. Maybe someone will try this route and post back. It does make sense that if you mess with or alter the seatbelt in any way, you could relieve them from any sort of liability in case of a wreck and injury resulted from seatbelt operation.
I'm not an expert at all , just know that if there is a way they could get out of coverage they will use it.. Either auto mfg. or insurance company.

·
Registered
84 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
There's probably a lot of gunk built up in the top loop that the seat belt passes over. If you scrape that off, it will help a bit.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Well ya gotta told me before I went and did mine for no good reason. Damn, guess I'll have to try rear steer next. Something has just gotta get these friggin seat belts to work right.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah mines been doing it since about 5K miles, took it to the dealer twice for it, basically said nothing we can do (tried clean and I think they oiled something) it really pisses me off to no end, I had an echo rental car and the seat belt in that thing snapped back fast enough to take a finger off. Why is it a 10K dollar car has better seatbelts than my 23K tacoma

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
If it makes you feel any better it is not restricted to the Tacoma. I know the Tundra has the same problem and I think it is Toyota generic. You'd think they would get their supplier to toe the friggin line after so many years or just change suppliers. The auto industry is so damn reluctant to change anything because of all the qualification test expense involved. I don't know who supplys the seat belts and retractors. It could be any one of a number of suppliers TRW, Valeo, Bosh, Delphi, Johnson Controls etc. etc. Someone needs to find out and start raising hell. It's a wonder that NTSB or some other government saftey agency hasn't crawled their backsides over it by now. I suppose that your tax dollar at work. They only do shit you don't want them to do and won't do the obvious stuff you want or need them to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having a similar problem with the seat belt, but mine is pulled out ALL the way and wont retract at all. Is there anything I can do? How hard is it to exchange one of the back seatbelts (96 tacoma) with the drivers side? Any instructions?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I had a new at the time 94 pickup and seatbelt refused to work right after about 50 K miles. As of yet my new taco doesnt have this annoyance.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Probably 1/3 of the time I come back out to my truck from somewhere, the seatbelt is sticking out of the damn door.. oh well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
DocTaco said:
Hello Guys,
My wifes car "MAzda 626" had a similar problem. I tried a few things but nothing was a great fix. I was talking to the dealership about it and they told me that in the " United States " a law required them to warranty the seat belt for the life of the vehicle. They changed out hers without a question. So it may be worth a call to the dealership to see if in fact this is covered on any year Toyota. They made reference to the liability issue regarding seatbelts. Maybe someone will try this route and post back. It does make sense that if you mess with or alter the seatbelt in any way, you could relieve them from any sort of liability in case of a wreck and injury resulted from seatbelt operation.
I'm not an expert at all , just know that if there is a way they could get out of coverage they will use it.. Either auto mfg. or insurance company.
My Toyota dealerships know nothing of this law.
Do you know what it's called, or any further way to look it up?

·
Registered
107 Posts
i know for a fact that the tundra has that porblem, my naighbor has an 01' and we both have tried to find out ways for it to work. I tried to wash mine but i think that retracts even slower...i dont know what to do with it. :mad:

Dick Foster said:
If it makes you feel any better it is not restricted to the Tacoma. I know the Tundra has the same problem and I think it is Toyota generic. You'd think they would get their supplier to toe the friggin line after so many years or just change suppliers. The auto industry is so damn reluctant to change anything because of all the qualification test expense involved. I don't know who supplys the seat belts and retractors. It could be any one of a number of suppliers TRW, Valeo, Bosh, Delphi, Johnson Controls etc. etc. Someone needs to find out and start raising hell. It's a wonder that NTSB or some other government saftey agency hasn't crawled their backsides over it by now. I suppose that your tax dollar at work. They only do shit you don't want them to do and won't do the obvious stuff you want or need them to do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts