TTORA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stole this from my friend Craig Micek's post on another board. I think it is very appropriate right now!

"With the unfortunate death of a fellow wheeler over the weekend, I think this needs to be talked about and rammed down peoples throats.

NEVER START YOUR RIG AND DRIVE, WITHOUT YOUR SEATBELT ON! ESPECIALLY TO AND FROM THE TRAIL HEAD!

An even better idea is to fully HARNESS UP! Heck, wear a helmet while your at it.

There are lots of new wheelers in our community who haven't heard... and some of the veteran wheelers may have forgotten, all the injuries and deaths that have occured over the last few years. Many of which, may have been preventable.

Most of the major injuries seem to occur, not on the trail but on the way to and from the trail. We all put our harness's on when we try that 4.5+ rated obstacle but the most dangerous time, truly, is on the way back. Think about it... This is when you are the most tired and anxious to get back to camp/parking. Its dusty, maybe dark and driving fast on dirt roads is fun! Prime accident time.

I can think of at least 7 different people who have died or been seriously injured when wheeling in the last 5 years. (I am sure there are more) In each case the occupants either were not wearing any belt or weren't fully harnessed up. Of the 7, only 2 were actually on the trail the rest were on the way back.

Why take the chance? Watch out for your fellow wheeler. If you see someone without their belt on, call them out. It could save their life! We install safety equipment for a reason. It works if you use it!"

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Here's my post from the other boards, the names have been changed to protect the guilty;

Good call Craig/Mike, and while we're at it before we harness up we need to give the rig a quick look over to make sure everything appears hooked up and tight. While in Moab on our second day we took the highway north of town and one of us was gettin the deathwobble real bad, we get to the trailhead and we look at his steering stuff and his lower track bar bolt is loose, got about 3 turns out of it. after the trail we all decided to check steering stuff out and all but one of us got a little turn on the pitman arm nut, one was even just finger tight, and another one of us had a lower track bar bolt that was finger tight...... we were just about to get on the highway and got 50+ MPH back to camp........ it takes 20 seconds to look it over, could save your life. We checked our stuff after every run up there, all was well, but we still got a little turn on out pitman arm nuts??????

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I got my 5 pts from Cole at 4wheelers, I got the 2" version all around. I also have the pads in the shoulder restraint portion makes it very comfortable, I also have the latch kind with the velcro.

I got them primarily for difficult obstacles and highway use after a trail, I ALWAYS wear the lap and crotch belt (So it doesn't slide up under my feet while driving). I'll be wearin the shoulder restraints more often now.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
It's interesting how and why we do things. The safety culture at work has rubbed off on my everyday life most of the time. At work a vehicle does not move without a seatbelt, it's a condition of employment. It has been habit to check all the lights on the truck in the morning and I do circle checks after the truck has been parked, especially when you parked in a residential neighbour hoods, kids can be anywhere. I find it interesting that more people do not adopt the saftey leasons that they learn at work when they are at home (seatbelts, eye and ear protections etc), I am guilty of breaking rules, but find I do it less and less as I consider the consequences. Basicly seat belts save lives, there're plenty of accidents around here where people are thrown form cars.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I was on the fence with harnesses. Ive never had them in any of my past rigs, I have been lucky enough never to have a roll. lots of close calls but never gone all the way over. I am guilty of cruising back to camp faster than I should cause its fun and you never think about it at the time. I do have a very good habit of wearing my factory belts but I think we are all guilty at one time or the other of not doing it. I have been on far too many recoverys on rollevers. The worst was a bronco that rolled down the switch backs on martinez canyon. He went over countless times and ended up at the bottom upside down. He was wearing his belt but thats not saying much with it being a 79bronco and no cage. He was still in the rig at the end and walked away with only a couple cuts. I still remember seeing the rig and thought no way he walked.

I think this summers project is going to get a push on getting my cage started and finshed.(planned anyway) This situation has sealed the fact of getting harnesses in the plans for my cage.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
it's cheap insurance we all hope we never need. Your welcome to look at mine for ideas if you want to Rocbronc.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
yeah man, Ive got my cage ideas but no idea on harness. like I said not ever running them Ive not put much thought in mounting and location. Ive also got factory sr5 seats too so might need to upgrade. Ill take you up on that offer, Ill bring my rig by and you can check out my bed. Let me know when you get time.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
seat belts have, literally, saved my life 5 times.
one nasty roll was a good test, as was getting hit head on while we were both doing 40mph.
fucking drunk/drugged drivers....glad a sheriff was behind me and saw it all.
dude got to wear AZ bracelets, but after 9 months, i'm still fucked (in the head) up from "not having control" when i got head ended- no time to act/react/honk/brake/think.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
:bump:
Just thought I'd remind anybody wheeling this weekend to wear your harness. About a year ago we all lost Kevin(Ski4x4) because of not wearing his harness in a bad roll. It was very unfortunate for him and his family so would like to remind all my wheeling buddies to be safe out there.:xbeer3:

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Excellent reminder Uriel. I also will take it one step further to ask that each of you challenge your wheeling buddies when you see them without their belts on. I understand that technical spots require you to move in the seat to see outside the drive window, but pay close attention to the surroundings. If a potential flop could result in multiple rolls, put that sucker on! Being the new President of AzTtora, and being a Safety guy by trade, I don't want to see anyone hurt on my watch. Take care of yoursleves and your buddies, and come home safe!
Happy wheeling!

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Thanks for bringin this up U-kid....... Monday is the 1 year Anniversary of the accident that we all should never forget.....

BTW, Kevins death happened on an exit road back to camp, Not on a trail...... buckle up ALL the time the rig is moving.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
as much as harnesses are sorta a hassle to get used too I have made it a point to wear at all times. now its almost just as fast and easy as using a stock belt.

Glad to hear the offroad community has not forgotten kevin....

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Well, we all have our own opinions about what is appropriate regarding safety, but the fact of the matter is that seatbelts save lives. Please don't think that bailing out of a moving vehicle is the best solution. Your best chance for survival is to stay buckled up, and I am sure if you lost someone you loved from an accident where a seatbelt was not used, you might change your tone. Considering the circumstances surrounding this thread, it is hardly appropriate to make comments of that nature.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
The only time I dont wear my seatbelt is when I see a drop I might fall off of, and when I need to bail, hell Its faster to bail without a seatbelt. but hey I wear my seatbelt to the trail and mostly threw the trail and back home. good post;)
ON that note...... I should remind you that the reason why this thread started is because a fellow wheeler died without his seatbelt on...... HOW? he slide off the edge of the road, rolled several times, was ejected (like your trying to accomplish here) and was crushed by his own rig......I'm bettin you'll suffer the same fate as Kevin...... Your call, hope I'm not with ya when it happens.

·
Registered
63 Posts
thats the dumbest idea ever! why in the hell would you take your seat belt off so you could jump out of a out of control vehicle only to get smashed by it??? you cant be serious?

go drown youself in the bath tub while your at it.

wear your belts period!!! depending on application harnesses are a requirement! I do not take my belts off for anything besides getting out of my rigged once parked! I have had roll overs if I would have "bailed out" I would have been dead.
you make a very great point! I thnk im going to wear my seatbelt no matter where I am on the the trail now Thanks for knocking some sense into my dumb head! :saw:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
21 Replies
26 Participants
Kaistie
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing