TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister's boyfriend is looking at a 90 4Runner SR5 4x4. It's got 160k miles on it and appears to be pretty clean. The only drawback is that the transmission is going out on it. The price doesn't seem too far off for one with transmission woes, so he's going to look at it today and see what he thinks.

Do any of you have any experience with rebuilding an auto transmission in a second gen? Any idea what it would cost? He's in NW Arkansas, so anybody have any recommendations for shops to consult?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Auto transmissions behind the 3.0 are so undesirable and common, it'd probably be much cheaper and easier to find a used one and swap it in. Depends on how long he wants to keep the truck, but I - being cheap and more into swapping than rebuilding given the money involved - would much rather try a different trans.

Or, he could always hit up a junkyard for a 5-speed swap. More likely to find the 5-speed stuff he needs in a 3rd gen 4WD pickup than a 2nd gen 4Runner. They seem to be predominantly automatics.

Good luck with whatever he decides to do!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Like Jordan said, he's better off gettin a used one in better condition swapped in than rebuilding the current one. To me though, it sounds like a perfect opportunity for a 3.4L and A340 swap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I realize it has been awhile since this has been posted, but, I have an auto out of a 95 that I can give away. 314-496-6756. If you want it, Justin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Taildragon
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing