TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy just traded my 15lb tank for an aluminum 20lb tank, just curious about how you guys secure your CO2 in the bed! :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
The best way would be to buy a heavy duty fire extinguisher bracket. Be careful though, there are 2 sizes (diameters) of 20lb tanks.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of just making a bracket to mount to my bed bar but I don't even have a clue on what to do. Good idea for the fire extinguisher bracket, where can I find them?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I got mine at a fire extinguisher shop, I think it was $55 or something. If you do get one, you should be able to use two or three small u-bolts drilled through the bracket to attach to your bed bar. That way, you could the remove the bracket when you didn't need it.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
generalee7 said:
My buddy just traded my 15lb tank for an aluminum 20lb tank, just curious about how you guys secure your CO2 in the bed! :D
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/mods/CO2 tank,bracket/

should be a snap for you ;)

I just cut strips of 12g sheet and bent them around the tank to make the bands, cut out a circle for the base and used 1" sp tube for the vertical. ...all made from scraps lying around ;)

'course the torch makes it a little easier.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks pretty good Chris, I'll have to do something like that. Check out my new bedbar!

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
generalee7 said:
That looks pretty good Chris, I'll have to do something like that. Check out my new bedbar!

yea, saw that the other day when you posted the pics ;) I figured it would be easy to fab up something like what I did that would clamp on to your new bar. for a 20# tank just use burlier material and a larger knob on the clamp.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I just got a 20# tank myself. Although this may not be practicle for some I'm gonna put mine inside a truck box secured in foam. (like a rifle case)

That way I don't have to take it in and out of the truck every time I go wheel. It'll be locked and secured.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I have probably the most ghetto way of securing it. I loop a 1" cam-buckle strap twice through one of the corner tiedowns. One loop of the strap goes around the body of the tank, the other around it's neck, then cinch it tight. My tank is only 5lb, but it should work for a 20lb tank.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Stock02 said:
I just got a 20# tank myself. Although this may not be practicle for some I'm gonna put mine inside a truck box secured in foam. (like a rifle case)

That way I don't have to take it in and out of the truck every time I go wheel. It'll be locked and secured.
just make sure the tank is upright when in use. And, you'd better hope you never have a leak while it's in the cab; the gas is not poisonous but if your windows are closed and it leaks the CO2 will displace the oxygen and you will pass out...not good.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
not2XS said:
I have probably the most ghetto way of securing it. I loop a 1" cam-buckle strap twice through one of the corner tiedowns. One loop of the strap goes around the body of the tank, the other around it's neck, then cinch it tight. My tank is only 5lb, but it should work for a 20lb tank.
there is a huge difference between a 5 and a 20. that one tie-down loop won't hold a 20 through rough trails. When an item like that is put through the punishment of a crazy trail run the weight is essentially multiplied by something like 5 so it needs to be very well secured to something solid.

·
Registered
793 Posts
hytenor said:
just make sure the tank is upright when in use. And, you'd better hope you never have a leak while it's in the cab; the gas is not poisonous but if your windows are closed and it leaks the CO2 will displace the oxygen and you will pass out...not good.
Misunderstanding going on here. Outside truck tool box.

·
Registered
25 Posts
tank bracket

I would check ( I hate to say it ) with some of the ricer people. Or look online for Nitrus Tank Brackets. Prbably about the right size for what you are looking for. Some of them are pretty butch. Or just buy two sets if they fit.

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
BRIAN, any reasom you mounted that bed bar away from the cab like that? Why not all the way forward on the bed rails?

--Scott

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Stock02 said:
Misunderstanding going on here. Outside truck tool box.
Ah, that would work ;)

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fishbone said:
BRIAN, any reasom you mounted that bed bar away from the cab like that? Why not all the way forward on the bed rails?

--Scott
Hi Scott, in that picture I haddn't (is that a word?) bolted it to the bed just yet. Right now it's all the way forward on the bed rails and bolted down with 6 3/8" bolts :D

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
generalee7 said:
Hi Scott, in that picture I haddn't (is that a word?) bolted it to the bed just yet. Right now it's all the way forward on the bed rails and bolted down with 6 3/8" bolts :D
Alright, just wonderin'. Looks real good , I'm gonna make something like that, but twice the size, to mount my spare, hilift, and some lights. Thanks.

--Scott

·
Registered
153 Posts
I mounted my horizontally in the bed with a bracket from a welding supply house. Then I unhook it and fill the tires. I don't store it vertically only because I use a tonneau cover. I think it cost around 15-20 bucks for the bracket. I could snap some pics if needed.

·
Registered
340 Posts
hytenor said:
there is a huge difference between a 5 and a 20. that one tie-down loop won't hold a 20 through rough trails. When an item like that is put through the punishment of a crazy trail run the weight is essentially multiplied by something like 5 so it needs to be very well secured to something solid.
Since I'm too lazy to actually bolt in my bracket, I've used the ratchet strap method to strap the 20lb assembly into the nook next to my toolbox. I was leary at first, but it was suprisingly secure. I can't vouch for its effectiveness in high speed situations though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So as not to make another CO2 topic...Do you have to have the tank stored vertically. I mean can it be mounted horizontally and be used that way without removing it for use just by using a long hose?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts