TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
180$ for a full driveline build is way fair I think Nate! That's what we usually get charged I think. I dropped our spare driveline off today because we unbalanced ours on spring creek as well!

I told Ron (of Boulder Driveline) that Spring Creek alone is what keeps him in business from CoTTORA!
Full driveline? Negative.

It's been at $180 for the rear shaft ONLY, and made out of slightly thicker than stock material. Strictly re-tube, no new u-joints or anything like that.

Guess next time i go in I'll have him re-tube it thicker and hopefully it'll be the last time i have to get it re-done.

I didn't get on my driveshaft anywhere on spring creek that i know of. Or if i did, it's still balanced fine (luckily) and vibration free :D

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Haven't had to retube mine yet so I have no first-hand experience with it, but from I read on the AZ boards, its starting to sound slike quarter wall is a good way to go.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Full driveline? Negative.

It's been at $180 for the rear shaft ONLY, and made out of slightly thicker than stock material. Strictly re-tube, no new u-joints or anything like that.

Guess next time i go in I'll have him re-tube it thicker and hopefully it'll be the last time i have to get it re-done.

I didn't get on my driveshaft anywhere on spring creek that i know of. Or if i did, it's still balanced fine (luckily) and vibration free :D
I was getting them tubed for under a $100 in Junction. Be careful with the heavy wall tubing. I was talking to Jessy at High Angle and he convinced me to avoid it with the stock t-case. Same theory as the Allpro t-case skid. it transfers the stress to the next week link. better a shaft than a case. I guess people are cracking the cases with the heavy shafts around the inputs.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Pics are up. I need to wade through the video. There is a ton!

For being Level that is a hell of a wheel stand!

I have a lot more Video from here but need to wade through it first!

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
OUCH!! on the ext cab carnage... It's not even my truck, and its tough to look at.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Pics are up. I need to wade through the video. There is a ton!

That's a ballsy line right there... From this angle it looks like if the driver's front slipped off of that rock it'd flop right over. :eek:

Looks like a great trail. And your timing for the fall colors was pretty good. Beautiful up there. Wish I could have made this one. Sorry to see some of you took body damage. Tough break there. I've had some of that happen to our truck this year too. Troy, welcome to the rear door-ding club! Looks like Nate took damage in about the same spot on the truck front to back, just on the extra cab instead of the door. Seems to be an easy place to get into the body back there. Slider hoops anyone? Am looking into a set per Troy's advice myself -- even though its too late since I got into both my rear doors this year, one at HC, the other in Big Bear. Sorry guys. :( Hope you all had a fun day despite the damage. Looks like it was plenty scenic up there, that's for sure!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I was getting them tubed for under a $100 in Junction. Be careful with the heavy wall tubing. I was talking to Jessy at High Angle and he convinced me to avoid it with the stock t-case. Same theory as the Allpro t-case skid. it transfers the stress to the next week link. better a shaft than a case. I guess people are cracking the cases with the heavy shafts around the inputs.
In my truck its got a two-piece rear driveshaft, and you could just beef up the rear section behind the carrier bearing where it hangs down in the rocks, so that wouldn't be an issue. But I realize the shorter trucks don't have two-piece shafts.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Once it's fixed im going to be doing a full rear exo. From the back of the doors to the rear of the truck.

So rear exo = my winter project.

·
20,355 Posts
Ouch nate.

On the 2 piece shafts i think the center bearing support would flex enough to take up enough force to protect the case.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Looks like an awesome trail!

Sucks about the damage Nate. I'll be adding a hoop to my next set of sliders to protect the x-cab & front of the bed for this very reason. Way too many vengeful rocks around here.

Regarding the driveline carnage - I was able to get an entire 2 piece rear driveshaft shipped to my door for $125 from car-part.com after it blew up ever so spectacularly in Moab.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
That's a ballsy line right there... From this angle it looks like if the driver's front slipped off of that rock it'd flop right over. :eek:
Funny you should bring that up, wait til you see the video.

As always, the picture doesn't do the angle justice.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
In my truck its got a two-piece rear driveshaft, and you could just beef up the rear section behind the carrier bearing where it hangs down in the rocks, so that wouldn't be an issue. But I realize the shorter trucks don't have two-piece shafts.
Yeah mine is the same way. I agree, but there is still a compromise. With the heavier rear section you are stressing the carrier. we all know how those things like to go out. They aren't cheap either. With a low mileage rig you may never notice. With something that is driven all the time on the highway there will be a definite notice in life. 1/4 wall is far to heavy. Most I would ever go would probably be .120 wall.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I was going to step it down to 2.625" .125 from the 3.5" .083, but both sides of the splines and the rear yoke were going to have to be replaced, and that was going to more than double the price. So for now I just had him retube it stock. Just got a call as I'm typing this and it's ready to pick up.

Molly, why'd you take yours in? It didn't look like it was fubared at all, just some scratches.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
We could feel a vibration that we KNOW was driveline related. And we actuially have a spare so we just repair the spare and swap it. ;)

21 - 40 of 139 Posts