TTORA Forum banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
:eek: Thats what my front ARB carrier looked like chewed up like that! Pinion deflection is doing that? Im only on 35's WITH a Diamond housing, 4:88's! :eek: Everything you guys mentioned on this thread (that I picked up) Ive done that "should" have prevented this. What gives? My rear does not show this problem.

So what we did was clearance the casing by using a flap wheel to take it down to the low spots, and also took a bit off the pinion gear. It clears now anyway.

I thought it was a bad setup on the gears, but the pattern was good. So removing material seemed like the way to correct it. :confused:
Your front differential is a low pinion I bet. With a low pinion you are driving on the coast side of the gears. The coast side is a a steeper angle, also the gear is running backwards. This translates into a pulling motion on the pinion gear. The 8" pinion bearing is very small and easily deflected under heavy load. The pinion to carrier clearance is very small, less then .080". Contact is "normal" under differentials that are set up loose. Setting preload tighter can cure the contact but shorten bearing life.

I've seen the same issues on the rear differential with people who hammer it in reverse. The same force is applied as a front low pinion.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Does using a solid collar over a crush sleeve help with pinion deflection in the rear?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Does using a solid collar over a crush sleeve help with pinion deflection in the rear?
I'm running solid collars F&R. Like thefatkid said, the pinion to carrier clearance is very close. It doesn't take much deflection to get the pinion to contact the carrier. I've got my CBPL cranked pretty good also.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I saw that sitting behind him waiting for a go at it while you guys were digging and thought to myself 'Holy Shit!'. I think he's got everything but the sink!
Yeah but that sink has saved MANY wheelers over the years! As Eric says (and Troy and I echo) Some of what we carry is gear to get another rig off the trail not our own.

But alas maybe the boyscout motto that Eric, Troy and I subscribe to isn't worth it... :dunno:

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Having first hand knowledge of the weight that Eric's Truck could loose(Doug and I were digging in the back for something he needed while he was on the first obstacle) YOu could easily shift 100 lbs. out of the rear end of that rig. :D

But then again you may not have anything to support trail repairs.:(

Oh hell Eric just buy a trail trailer to pull behind your FJ and this way it will keep you light.
For the cost of a trailer I could SAS :D

Yeah but that sink has saved MANY wheelers over the years! As Eric says (and Troy and I echo) Some of what we carry is gear to get another rig off the trail not our own.

But alas maybe the boyscout motto that Eric, Troy and I subscribe to isn't worth it... :dunno:
I don't think 100lbs of gear would make that much difference considering the ARB hits 230#, the BudBuilts 175# and the roof rack 150#, and as Molly said, much of that gear isn't just for me :). The only reason it was so stacked in the back this time was because I had three passengers, so I wasn't able to distribute as much of the weight forward as I usually do. I'm still seeking the balance between expedition and crawler :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
@ Volcom

Mine has extremely tight tolerances too, but it shouldn't. Its because I got shipped V6 gears for a 4cyl housing. I have loads of pinion shim just to get a good pattern, and it sits right next to my ARB. I'm contemplating a new third, as the V6 stuff is stronger.

Not sure if thats your problem, but I specifically ordered the 4cyl gears, and they came in a 4cyl box, but they are v6 gears for sure.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
@ Volcom

Mine has extremely tight tolerances too, but it shouldn't. Its because I got shipped V6 gears for a 4cyl housing. I have loads of pinion shim just to get a good pattern, and it sits right next to my ARB. I'm contemplating a new third, as the V6 stuff is stronger.

Not sure if thats your problem, but I specifically ordered the 4cyl gears, and they came in a 4cyl box, but they are v6 gears for sure.
I helped out with the setup of the 2 diffs. I believe they were 4cyl gears (Motive brand from PORC). I don't recall having to use alot of pinion shim to get them to setup good. I'm not real worried about them and the marks on the carrier. They are holding up as good as small diffs with big tires can hold :D I really watch how much the right foot pedal gets used.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
@ Volcom

That is strange. That is exactly oppsite of what I would belive.

The v6 pinion head is bigger and should need less shim then a 4 cylinder due to already being too deep. I though you could not go that way anyways.

The 4 cylinder gears in the v6 housing require more the .250". I told Troy what the thickness of his but I don't remember.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
For the cost of a trailer I could SAS :D

I don't think 100lbs of gear would make that much difference considering the ARB hits 230#, the BudBuilts 175# and the roof rack 150#, and as Molly said, much of that gear isn't just for me :). The only reason it was so stacked in the back this time was because I had three passengers, so I wasn't able to distribute as much of the weight forward as I usually do. I'm still seeking the balance between expedition and crawler :rolleyes:
Good point on trailer vs. SAS cost, and the way you wheel it, maybe you should SAS it (though I do have a special appreciation for those of us sucessfully running IFS on trails that some regard to be SAS-only and representing what IFS can do to the masses. :cool: I too am a kitchen sink sort of wheeler, running with spare fluids, parts, tools, etc. And when you get a third person on-board it really does make it interesting, especially now that I removed the back seat. We did 2 weeks out of our 3-month Mexico ExPo adventure with 4 of us in the truck, and it was really tight. I don't think I'd bring 4 people again, 3 is sort of my max with gear for a longer vehicle-based trip. That balance between expo and crawler is a tough one, but its easier if you have a base camp where you can leave a lot of the overnight camping stuff. I wheel a lot heavier than I'd like to when all the camping stuff is in the rig. Its a difficult balance to strike, I hear that.

230lbs for the ARB? Seriously? My front tube bumper I could pick up with one hand even when it was still bolted to a half pallett! And its been protecting the truck nicely. There's a place to trim some fat right there. Thats about 150 lbs heavier than it has to be (but it is a nice beefy chunk of armor). Tube bumper maybe?
http://www.fjcruisersolutions.com/forum/showthread.php?p=183

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Mine has .267, IIRC.

4cyl diff, 4cyl bearings.

v6 pinion is longer I thought. Either way, its a crap load of shimming. I defietely have a 4cyl housing.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Does AllPro have a good warranty? Just wondering....

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Nope, High pinion. So that throws that theory out.

It came already set up by allpro. I should have known it would bugger up too! :mad:
The theory still applies, just both of your differentials will only make that mark in reverse. A low pinion is just like driving in reverse when going forward, when installed in the front end.

You ever back up a really steep hill and hear a little extra groaning?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If you are interested I popped some pics of the T case cover and of my new Bling Bling LED Tail lights. Not too blingly I got them blacked out so not much chrome. I also ordered some LED back up bulbs from super bright LED's. Nice and bright when I back up now. I still have to learn to avoid trees. Funny thing was that Fabjunkie hit that tree first, did similar damage, and I was cleaning off silver paint from my truck!!! :eek:

T Case:
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff242/cosport/Taillights/T Case/

Taillights:
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff242/cosport/Taillights/

·
7,735 Posts
If you are interested I popped some pics of the T case cover and of my new Bling Bling LED Tail lights. Not too blingly I got them blacked out so not much chrome. I also ordered some LED back up bulbs from super bright LED's. Nice and bright when I back up now. I still have to learn to avoid trees. Funny thing was that Fabjunkie hit that tree first, did similar damage, and I was cleaning off silver paint from my truck!!! :eek:

T Case:
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff242/cosport/Taillights/T Case/

Taillights:
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff242/cosport/Taillights/
You really should avoid letting kindergartners play with JB Weld on your truck :flipoff4:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
You really should avoid letting kindergartners play with JB Weld on your truck :flipoff4:
Well Doug you have got to be the oldest Kindergartner I have ever seen :D You trying to tell all of us something about you?:p

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
^^^I cleaned it off so no pics. There was more on the tail light but I tossed it since it was shattered. You just have to trust me on this one. :D

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
More goop equals stronger fix. :D I should have just covered the whole thing. Probably could have drove around with it like that forever.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts