TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 98 tacoma, 3in BL and 2.5in sus lift with 33in tires. I just got new tires put on about 100 miles ago and now i have this grinding sound on my front end. I really dont think this is related but more a coincidense (sp?). Im really stumped on what could be causing this noise. I knew i needed brakes so i just put on new pads and rotors and didnt see anything unusual. Here is the detailed description of the problem: It sounds like something scraping against the metal dust shield on the inside of the wheel. It is not a scrape that is a full rotation around but more like a warped rotor kinda feel. It is also intermittent. If i drive a mile or so it will drive perfectly smooth but then randomly i will get a small shake in the steering wheel and as i slow down it will shake the wheel with more force, i can slow down ok and i can feel it (Shake) lightly in the brake pedal but it doesnt feel like the actual brakes. When i stuck my head out the window to look at my front tire it was pulsing from a left/right motion vs. up/down or any other way. Now if i slow down to turn it will still pulse but coming out of the turn it will go away making me think its a differential problem. But there are no gear grinding noises just more of an intense scraping sound against the dust shield or whatever that piece of metal is on the inside of the wheel.

I hope that is descriptive enough, i just need help on what to start with and i really need other opnions in case there are things that i have not thought of. Thanks all for your help!!

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
sounds like an issue with the brakes, buddy of mine is having a similar problem, it catches and pulls his truck one way, but i would start there, if not check to see if theres any play in the wheel itself, ill try and get more info on from my technician

99 xcb "built like a TanK"

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was the brakes also so i replaced the pads and rotors but it still does the same thing to a "T".

·
Registered
257 Posts
Could be your wheel bearings? just a guess but maybe they fell apart in there and they make that noise, man handle your tire around and see if theres any play in it.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Demello

Mtnfrk79 said:
I thought it was the brakes also so i replaced the pads and rotors but it still does the same thing to a "T".

hey man,
not trying to hijack your thread, but you do know Jason Demello is trying to get in touch w/ you??? Peace, Wes

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wslytoy said:
hey man,
not trying to hijack your thread, but you do know Jason Demello is trying to get in touch w/ you??? Peace, Wes

Yeah, mistake on my end but i caught up with him

thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeti said:
Could be your wheel bearings? just a guess but maybe they fell apart in there and they make that noise, man handle your tire around and see if theres any play in it.
I thought of that, i would thing that it would shake all the time but maybe not. I think that is my next thing to get replaced. My last tires were out of balance for over a year and i think all that vibration caught up

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just talked to the shop that will prbably be the one fixing this problem and he said that if it were a wheel bearing problem that the scraping would be continous not intermittent (most likely). He is thinking more of a steering rack/tierod end/bearing prob? Just want to see what you all think??

Thanks for all your help!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jack up the front end and give the tires a tug. Also, ahve someone move the steering wheel while you look at your steering linkage. If you lost a tie rod end or your linkage is loose you will be able to tell.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the IDENTICAL problem with my tacoma, running the fabtech 6 in lift and 35" tires...i shook my wheel and felt play so i'm going jack the truck up and see if it could be the berings...the lift kit came with new ones maybe we messed up on the pressing??? I don't know, very well sounds like tie rods could be culprit as well so i'm checking everything. I was on the trip that it was the rotors but you changing them and having no sucess has cut out one step for me, thanks for saving me a chunk of change!!! I'll be keeping up with this thread and also posting if i come to any conclusions because it may help you. Ok off to do some investaging!

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
mntfrk and afcajun

sounds like outer/inner or both tie-rods or steering rack bushings or all three.
Lifting these tacomas seems to bring this on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok i just got back from the garage...my fingers are frozen so forgive my spelling errors...neither my berings nor my tie rods are bad...my steering rack is loose, when i move either tire up and down no play is there...also when i move side to side no knocking feeling solid as a rock...unless i move it hard and that's when my rack moves in the mounts that they are on...the mounts are rubber but i feel it is moving far too much...i dont' know if it's the way fabtech made the mounts different or if it's something that gave way...evrythign seems to be intact but i cannot tighten down on the bolts any more than they already are, so nothing is loose as far as bolts. Does anyone know if this is a known problem with the fabtech lift and if it has been addressed or do you think something gave way down there? I spent most of my time explaining to my AF buddy how cars and trucks work and drinkin some beer so that's what took me so long to get back here...where do i go from here? Nothing looks broken...any ideas?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
afcajun said:
...my steering rack is loose, when i move either tire up and down no play is there...also when i move side to side no knocking feeling solid as a rock...unless i move it hard and that's when my rack moves in the mounts that they are on...the mounts are rubber but i feel it is moving far too much...i dont' know if it's the way fabtech made the mounts different or if it's something that gave way...evrythign seems to be intact but i cannot tighten down on the bolts any more than they already are, so nothing is loose as far as bolts. Does anyone know if this is a known problem with the fabtech lift and if it has been addressed or do you think something gave way down there? I spent most of my time explaining to my AF buddy how cars and trucks work and drinkin some beer so that's what took me so long to get back here...where do i go from here? Nothing looks broken...any ideas?
Are the rack bushings in the FT kit the same as OE? I assume the whole rack along with the front diff has been lowered, right? The bushing kit is only $13 (http://www.suspension.com/toyotapickups.htm) and takes about an hr to change them. But, I don't know enough about the FT kit. If there is ANY play between the rack and the bushings and they are new then I would agree that there is a problem with the FT kit in that area.

·
Registered
121 Posts
No the fabtech kit just uses bracket spacers as far as i remember...i'm going check the manual to refresh my memory but it looked stock to me while i was under there besides the new bolts and the spacers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes i'm pretty darn sure the c-clamp style piece is the stock one, me and three buddies of mine installed this lift in march of last year so my recolection of it isn't as clear as it used to be. i don't believe we ever took that c clamp style piece off even but anywasy all three mounting points to the crossmember have movment in it...you think i just need the busing kit? Seems like a simple and cheap enough fix....what would cause such a thing to go bad? Impacts? Something i did installing it? Something that can be avoided in the future?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
afcajun said:
Yes i'm pretty darn sure the c-clamp style piece is the stock one, me and three buddies of mine installed this lift in march of last year so my recolection of it isn't as clear as it used to be. i don't believe we ever took that c clamp style piece off even but anywasy all three mounting points to the crossmember have movment in it...you think i just need the busing kit? Seems like a simple and cheap enough fix....what would cause such a thing to go bad? Impacts? Something i did installing it? Something that can be avoided in the future?
Ok, I found this: http://www.dorianjepsen.com/tacoma/suspensionlift/15.php
and the kit includes a coupletely new crossmember that the rack bolts to. My guess is that you used the original bushings when you did this install ;)..oops. Even torqued down, worn bushings will now hold the rack in place...mine didn't either. Order the kit from the guys in Modesto; they ship fast. It took me about an hr to do w/o help so if you have another set of hands is should go quicker. torque the big nut to 141# and the other 3 to 123#. Drive it a few days and retorque. Drive a few hundred miles and do it again...trust me, they get loose.

Now, if, after installing the new bushings you still have play then I would say you have a beef with Fabtech and their crossmember.

As for preventing this in the future. When we lift these trucks and install larger tires, things wear out and break much faster than leaving everything stock; that's just the way it goes. Steering components are some of the first things to go. I'm on my second rack and 2nd set of bushings. I try to keep an eye out for any play in the steering system that isn't supposed to be there. Rack bushings are cheap and easy to replace and if I have to do that every two years, o well ;) Replacing the rack bushings sooner would have prevented my rack from going out, however, as all that slop and tough trails did not mix well. The extra play transfered to the inner workings of the rack and the thing just wore out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok this is great, sounds like exactly what i need to do. I do understand things will wear out with larger tires i just wanted to see if there was anything i was overlooking as far as prevention...i'll just keep an eye on it and if this fixes my problem i'll keep and extra set of bushings on hand for when it happens again...that is until i SAS! some day, well as usual hytenor you have answered my question and i will let you know how it all plays out when i change the bushings. And you are right...if it doesn't stop the play, me and fabtech will be thowin down!!! lol, i mean i'll be on the phone with them trying to resolve this issue and possibly recommenting changes to their design...but i think changing the bushings will do the trick.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow hytenor those guys at Suspension in Modesto are great, I just had a 15-20 min conversation with one of the techs on the phone that took my order for the bushing kits. He pretty much told me that out of all the bushings and polyurathane suspension parts he sells this is the most ordered part for toyotas and he has a hard time keeping them in stock. Although he told me that it's not until 50K miles until the usual customer calls in for a replacement bushing kit for the rack and pinion, i told him i had 35" tires and he totally understood. But not only did he take my order and talk about what went wrong with my rack, he also explained some things to me and listened to other concerns i had to things not even related to the bushings. Simply said these guys are great to do business with this time around! Being a poly replacement i would think that these should outlast my rubber ones i have on there now. Well like i said i'll post updates as to if this fixes it or not...could help people in the future experiencing this problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hytenor said:
Ok, I found this: http://www.dorianjepsen.com/tacoma/suspensionlift/15.php
and the kit includes a coupletely new crossmember that the rack bolts to. My guess is that you used the original bushings when you did this install ;)..oops. Even torqued down, worn bushings will now hold the rack in place...mine didn't either. Order the kit from the guys in Modesto; they ship fast. It took me about an hr to do w/o help so if you have another set of hands is should go quicker. torque the big nut to 141# and the other 3 to 123#. Drive it a few days and retorque. Drive a few hundred miles and do it again...trust me, they get loose.

Now, if, after installing the new bushings you still have play then I would say you have a beef with Fabtech and their crossmember.

As for preventing this in the future. When we lift these trucks and install larger tires, things wear out and break much faster than leaving everything stock; that's just the way it goes. Steering components are some of the first things to go. I'm on my second rack and 2nd set of bushings. I try to keep an eye out for any play in the steering system that isn't supposed to be there. Rack bushings are cheap and easy to replace and if I have to do that every two years, o well ;) Replacing the rack bushings sooner would have prevented my rack from going out, however, as all that slop and tough trails did not mix well. The extra play transfered to the inner workings of the rack and the thing just wore out.

Thanks for all the leg work! Ill call the guys in modesto tomorrow and order a set of bushings as well. Though i think my prob is more serious, its a start. I still dont understand all these parts on the rack. i know about the outer tie rods but the inner? are they on the inside of the tube? and you talk about the bearings, im sure they also go inside the tube but im having a hard time visualizing all this (im visual, i like books for the pictures, lol).

Thanks againg for your extensive help

1 - 20 of 27 Posts