TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need info for setting up my 2002 taco 2 dr regular cab/auto trans.
to handle a camper.STOCK,STOCK,STOCK TRUCK.

camper weight is 900 lbs.
owners manual says i should be able to load bed with 1200 lbs..???

this is a 1990 6 pack camper cab over.
my truck is maxed out with only the 900 lb camper.

clearance is only 1/4 " from bump stops.
and little bump i hit the stops.

and well it sways side to side.
i am afraid to drive it...........
so unstable!!!!!!!!!

and i have the ..FIRESTONE..WILDERNESS TIRES!!!
truck has only 10,000MI.

what do i need to do to handle the camper???

i think i need..........

4 bilstein shocks.
hellwig progressive overload springs.....1,500 lbs.
helwig rear anti sway bar........

so it this correct???

anyone have info on the U-HAUL trucks ??
set up with LARGE CAB OVER UNIT....toyota trucks.......???

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had a heavy shell on my old truck, airbags helped a lot.

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
Welcome to TTORA!
You also might want to make contact with Expedition West dot com, the guys there have TONS of experience on suspension set up, camping and towing for our Tacos.

Expedition West website

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
rka32007 said:
went to web site ......
no itens shown for 4X2 truck.......

????????????tks
You have a prerunner? Same shit in the rear as a 4x4....

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Oh and if the rear is swaying so bad, might be worth looking into some sort of stabilization, like sway bars or traction bars, but IMO sway bars will help most, since traction bars are mainly designed to help with axle wrap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
supension

=ACID RAIN= said:
Oh and if the rear is swaying so bad, might be worth looking into some sort of stabilization, like sway bars or traction bars, but IMO sway bars will help most, since traction bars are mainly designed to help with axle wrap.
this is a stock!!!2002 taco cheapo unit 2WD.auto air.
well i can rock it "SIDE TO SIDE"" UNSTABLE"""....i would say......
just sitting parked in the driveway........
let alone"""****DRIVE IT***
which i did for 150 miles........
scared the ""SHIZ" out of me!!!!!!!!!!
45 mph. MAX speed..............
then ...BOUNCE...BOUNCE and then....."SIDE TO SIDE"

i know my toyota can handle the load.power wise.......

how did toyota set up the early motor homes???......dalphin.....
or the UHAUL units to handle the "SIZE" of the units carried????

·
Registered
224 Posts
When I first got my old callen camper (heavy steel frame)it felt like I was going to flip every time I hit a curve in the road or an offramp, after I got airlift airbags it felt very stable. You can easily increase psi to the bags if you add more weight to your truck, and can fill one more than the other if your load is uneven. They also add a little bit of lift to the rear. I wouldnt recomend them for a hardcore offroad rig because the probably limit your rear articulation but they are perfect for a 2wd or expedition truck(IMO).http://www.airliftcompany.com/ride_control.htmlThey are easy to install, takes about 1 1/2 hours at most.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
rka32007 said:

Easy, settle down. You have a 5 lug mini, right? First, either have a swaybar made, or get one plus the setup... the rear swaybars came on X-Runners and *may* be available in junkyards- if not, call Jacque at [email protected] and see if he can help.

Investigating OME Dakars are a good step, again Jacque can help you... less expensive then Wheeler's :rolleyes:, and more importantly a lot more knowledgeable & helpful.

I suspect, however, that you will need to contact Charles at Alcan for a custom leaf pack... your application is a little out of the ordinary.

Finally, bags are a great idea- use them myself and swear by them- look at Goodyear only, the cheap ones will kill you.

If you are indeed a 5-lug mini, you should also look at your braking system- it is smallish and may benefit from upgrades.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Ok, well allow me to clarify for you that a prerunner is "stock" when you buy it, and so is a 4x4, or a simple street truck, etc. If you mean a simple 2WD truck, then say it, like "non-prerunner" or "street truck" or whatever. "stock" is not equivalent to "simple" :)

If you search google (unlikely you'll find it here) there may be a suitable swaybar kit for the rear of your vehicle, or you can take the advice posted and get supplemental air bags.

One thing that might help you would be upgrading your rear leafsprings. I would recommend alcan leaf packs (call them) or OME dakar leaf packs. Both seem to do very well with load, with alcans probably being the most expensive, but also the most customizable.

One of your problems right off the bat is the height vs width issue. The narrower your wheelbase is, the worse your sway can be. Airbags and leafs help some, but for added stability, try getting wheels with less backspacing. Don't all ghetto-ize it, but if the wheels stick out a little further, those inches will count towards a little more stability.
rka32007 said:

EDIT: LOL Valk, I'da beat you but I had a phone call... :p

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
=ACID RAIN= said:
EDIT: LOL Valk, I'da beat you but I had a phone call... :p
meh- you got most of it wrong anyways. :p

I am 99% sure that OME Dakars do not simply swap in, the 5 lug mini leafs are narrower- the shackles are a different size, the front spring hanger, the u-bolt plate, etc.

That's why I told him to try the S-runner swaybar first- it is a direct swap.

I bet a dollar that he'll need custom leaf packs should he choose to go that route, but ultimately, I am with rynosurf- airbags will make the most difference.

All this, of course, is predicated on him having the correct camper for his rig- in the case of a Six-Pack camper, it's the T100 Super Mini (dry weight of 990lbs).

Seeing how much it hangs over an x-cab, I can't imagine how much that thing hangs over a regular cab.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
OOOOH, I didn't think about leaf widths being different. Shoot. Yeah alcan would be the way to go for leafs then.

....got most of it wrong my arse...hmph.
**walks away with hands in pockets, kicking a rock

:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a '73 Datsun with a 6 Pack in which I lived and traveled for 5 months across the west. I currently have a '99 F250 with a Lance which has been all over the west, east and Alaska (10,000 mile trip).
In my experience suggestions are:
Helwig sway bar in rear
Airlift bags-you can adjust to what ever weight you have or don't have and balance side to side ($189 at Wheelers)
Adjustable rear shocks (Rancho 9000 or Pro Comp Mx6 are possibilities)
Remove any weight not needed to travel such as jacks. I always remove mine for extra clearance and vision to the rear.
NEVER...NEVER make a fast turn or emergency swerve! Guaranteed roll-over! Leave plenty of room ahead.
You'll have great fun and enjoy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok you got me all confused???

to .."ME" stock cheapo 2002 tacoma 2 w.d. auto and air.........
would this not be the lowest price tacoma with no upgrades....right???
well this is what i have?????????
oh i forgot it has the optional ... radio????

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rynosurf said:
When I first got my old callen camper (heavy steel frame)it felt like I was going to flip every time I hit a curve in the road or an offramp, after I got airlift airbags it felt very stable. You can easily increase psi to the bags if you add more weight to your truck, and can fill one more than the other if your load is uneven. They also add a little bit of lift to the rear. I wouldnt recomend them for a hardcore offroad rig because the probably limit your rear articulation but they are perfect for a 2wd or expedition truck(IMO).http://www.airliftcompany.com/ride_control.htmlThey are easy to install, takes about 1 1/2 hours at most.
rynosuf...
have i lost it???
isn't it what i said i needed is what i am being told???
the directed to web sites to sell me what i said i needed??????tks

·
Registered
224 Posts
rka32007 said:
rynosuf...
have i lost it???
isn't it what i said i needed is what i am being told???
the directed to web sites to sell me what i said i needed??????tks
What?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts