TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a set of chevy springs (used like there are any other type) i did the new hanger 9" forward new shackle mount 4" backward. my shackle is 5.75 eye to eye currently my shackles are almost vertical at rest and vertical when flexed on a rock bout 18" tall. will these settle or am i going to stay this way what are my options to get a better spring angle? thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Well, I guess depending on what year your truck is, you should have left the rear hanger alone. I am assuming though since you moved the front one 9" instead of 7 3/4" you must have an older Tacoma. When you move the shackle hanger you stretch out the distance and the shackles will be vertical. The only fix I see is to move the shackle hanger back to its original positiion. My chevy's settled, but not much. That is what is nice about buying a set of used psrings, they are already broken in.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry forgot to say its a 93 pick up. for tbob that would be the custom pass drop tacoma :D if i leave it at the front hanger how long on the shackle? i read the first 12 pages of the swap FAQ on pirate but everything said move the shackle hanger back 4" i could of got it crossed with the earlier truck tech? i installed new hangers can i get a way with the current shackle and the old mount?

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
I don't see why the shackles would hurt anything. If the mount is in the right location providing the right geometry then the shackle will either lift or lower the vehicle, at least it will not be verticle. The fact of the matter is it is not right and it sounds like you need to move the rear hanger forward some. Maybe you don't need to go the full 4", but it definately needs to move. If your axle is where you want it as far as the wheelwell is concerned then leave the front one alone and play with the rear until you get a better angle. Just remember that those chevy springs are pretty flat to begin with and the shackle will not collapse much, but it will need to open for droop. Preferably you should have the shackle set at as steep an angle as possible so you have lots of room for droop.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey nate,
i rearanged the shackle and its better. the shackle is now almost flat. prob at 30degs. but now its springy. now a trip to four wheelers to figure shock length the next.
thank you again, Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts