TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I drive a 1989 single cab pickup 4x4 with a 22re. For the last few months my truck has had a problem with vibration at high speeds. I need help diagnosing it so if anyone has any advice or knows of any good articles or writups it would be appreciated.

Here are the details:

The truck starts to vibrates at around 40-45 mph, it starts gradually and lessons around 50-55 mph before getting pretty severe at 63-70 mph. It evens out between 70-75 before getting VERY severe upwards of 80 mph. Severe to the point that everything in the truck falls to the floor and it feels like every screw is going to be rattled loose. The vibration is there when I am accelerating, when I push the clutch in to coast, and when I go put the truck in neutral. The vibration is NOT there when I keep the truck in gear without my foot on the accelerator.

Does anyone have any ideas??? Is there other info that would help you diagnose it?

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
My truck used to be just like that, I rebalanced all my tires, had to change my driveshaft, and my 3rd member in my 86 ( was time to rehear anyways) but my pinion bearing I believe is the name was bad and I neglected it for so long that it messed up my drive shaft so I'd get the symptoms like your getting now,
So there's a start

·
Registered
39 Posts
Propshaft. Universals. Do yours have a center bearing in the rear prop. Be carefull not do drive alot like it, it will eventually destroy the rear diff. You should feel it more on the gearshifter.

Engin or gearbox mounts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

So it sounds like the most probable cause is somewhere in the driveline. potentially a bearing? could it also be the driveshaft itself?

@Silverlux when you say propshaft are you talking about the driveshaft or are these two different components? also what do you mean by universals? I apologize for my ignorance.Also, you are correct in assuming that the vibration is more intense at the gearshifter. Does this reinforce your assumption that the driveline is causing the vibration?

It sounds like the other potential causes of my problem are loose engine/trans/body mounts, or an issue with alignment/balance.

Can I confidently rule out the transmission or the clutch as the root of the problem?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Usually torque related vibration are somewhere in the drivetrain. The fact that you can feel it in the gearshift, leads me to believe its in the front portion of your driveline, bearing, or a bad u-joint... Just my opinion.

These may help in your search to find the problem.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Driveline-101.shtml
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/driveline/

This link isnt related to our trucks, but may help you rule out your trans (I doubt that is your problem) and clutch.
http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/files/Driveline-Vibration-FAQ.pdf

You can also get driveline vibs if you have recently changed your gearing. And as stated before, check tire balance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright,

I went out and inspected my driveline, which is of limited value (seeing as I have almost no knowledge on the drivetrain). I may have found something though, There is some play in the rear driveshaft (could be normal). I can turn the driveshaft about 1/8-1/4 rotation with my hand, and I can also "jiggle" the driveshaft more than I would expect. On closer examination I noticed a bearing at the rear of the rear driveshaft which appears to be worn or damaged. I took a couple pictures so that I can hopefully get a second opinion from some of you with more knowledge than me. Thanks!

Edit: Thanks Tacoma Jake, I'll check out those links as soon as I have time, that's exactly the type of documentation I was looking for.

Here are the pictures (The 2nd picture is a close-up of the area in the red box in the first picture):

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright so replacing the universal joint should fix the problem I imagine? or does teh driveshaft need to be swapped to?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had that problem on my 91. Turned out to be tires were unbalanced (previous owner didn't do them). Also, one of my back wheels was warped, so that didn't help :p Once they were balanced the vibration pretty much disappeared except at highway speeds, but I attribute that to the mudders. Glad you found your problem though!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
That is the problem of your vibration, good advice maybe is to replace all the u-joints.
^^^^This.

If you replace only one, often times the other fails soon after. Then it becomes a cylce of back and forth failures.

Good to see you found the problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks alot guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I drive a 1989 single cab pickup 4x4 with a 22re. For the last few months my truck has had a problem with vibration at high speeds. I need help diagnosing it so if anyone has any advice or knows of any good articles or writups it would be appreciated.

Here are the details:

The truck starts to vibrates at around 40-45 mph, it starts gradually and lessons around 50-55 mph before getting pretty severe at 63-70 mph. It evens out between 70-75 before getting VERY severe upwards of 80 mph. Severe to the point that everything in the truck falls to the floor and it feels like every screw is going to be rattled loose. The vibration is there when I am accelerating, when I push the clutch in to coast, and when I go put the truck in neutral. The vibration is NOT there when I keep the truck in gear without my foot on the accelerator.

Does anyone have any ideas??? Is there other info that would help you diagnose it?

Thanks
Just a thought, get under it and try to move your drive shaft. If it moves you have a bad U joint. Maybe yolk of it if damaged. If you lifted it is there enough of the shafts in each end? Might chew up the splines. All lubing applied etc. I had a bad U joint and the truck vibrated badly about 45 and up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts