TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 extcab v6, I was putting on my rear leaf springs and when I went to put the nut on I striped the bolt. It is the bolt that goes thru the leaf spring. My question is can I press that bolt out and weld in a different bolt, and will it still be as strong as the OEM? Just asking because I don't know if those bolts are extra hard for suspension set up or maybe I should tap and die it. Your opinions would be appriciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
you should be able to replace the with another one, they just press fit in one side of the shackle, hell you could even just use a normal type of bolt

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
This seems to be a common problem. I've read about it a few times now since i did my lift and had the same issue. I put the OE bolt back, and hammered it in, however the pressing didn't quite match up but I don't really care. I used my dremel to cut off the portions of thread that were damaged and got the nut back on.

If it is not recoverable, then put any matching size bolt in to get yourself back on the road and go to the stealership and get yourself a new bolt, or ask here in the wanted section to see if anyone has one they'd ship you for a few bucks. I betcha you'd get one pretty cheap here compared to buying a new one ;)

If you have a matching size bolt in but you don't know if the properties of the bolt are suitable for this type of load, then don't wheel it until you get another OE bolt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for the input guys, I probably should go the safe route and just purchase a new shackle, think there about $50. Would any one by chance no what that part number is?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Your talking about the center positioning bolt, correct?
When you buy AAL's they usually have a new bolt with them due to the increased thickness. The old bolt is tapped out with a hammer and a new one is tapped in. Its not a load bearing bolt, it's used to keep the pack together when the U-bolts arent tourqed down and to position the axle properly during assembly. You should have no problems with a standard bolt from a hardware store.

·
Registered
870 Posts
if your in the Los Angeles are, i have an extra set of downey shackles with bolts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts