TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully this is in the right folder

I am looking to replace my front shackles that are on my truck with longer ones and need help trying to figure out the length on my current shackles.

Does anybody here know how much lift a shackle thats
6-3/4" eye to eye is?

What shackles do you all have, post up some specs and a link to where you bought yours if you have a moment

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Hopefully this is in the right folder

I am looking to replace my front shackles that are on my truck with longer ones and need help trying to figure out the length on my current shackles.

Does anybody here know how much lift a shackle thats
6-3/4" eye to eye is?

What shackles do you all have, post up some specs and a link to where you bought yours if you have a moment
Build shackles yourself. Why do you think they are too long? essentially if you put a longer shackle on, you will 1) lift your truck, 2) change your caster angle and 3)make the truck ride worse. If your shackles work fine now and they don't lay against the frame, whats the point in changing them?

For reference, I think my front shackles are 4.5" eye to eye. I kept going smaller because I was trying to find the length that is long enough so it doesn't lay against the frame but short enough that it gives a good ride on the road.

Oh and I made my shackles out of 2"x3/8" flat bar, they've held up for a long time now :)

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Brian unfortunately I dont have the time right now to build my own,lol damn I wish I did, it seems pretty easy to do though....but I am so involved in my self employment thats the last thing I really want to deal with at this moment, however I do want my truck fixed so I can wheel it again, especially the Rubi this summer.

I have been having issues with my shackles collapsing onto my frame and my leafs become negative arched so I was thinking about going with a smaller shackle to see if that helps the issue. I hate not knowing what is causing my shackles to do that, I suspect that its worn springs but who knows.....this all started when my front shackle crossmember ripped off of my frame after climbing a 4' ledge.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Shorter shackles will be more likely to lay frame.
Regarding lift from a shackle just figure 2"'s of shackle is 1" of lift.
How ghetto would it be to bumpstop your shackles on the frame? ;)

I thought you got new springs, they on there yet? When you busted the front something probably moved just enough to push a borderline shackle over the edge- when you got the weight off the front end of yours at Eagle Lakes the shackles perked up fine. I'm sure when you step on the brakes or park down hill they are laying on the frame? If you did a bunch of welding on the front with the leafs still attached I wonder if you heated up the front bushings enough to also add some slop to whatever might have moved up there...? As in: Everything was dialed in real close to tolerance (soft shackle angle) pre-breakage, then the front shifted a quarter, the bushings softened way up after welding around them, another quarter, pushes everything back a half with weight on it.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shorter shackles will be more likely to lay frame.
Regarding lift from a shackle just figure 2"'s of shackle is 1" of lift.
How ghetto would it be to bumpstop your shackles on the frame? ;)

I thought you got new springs, they on there yet? When you busted the front something probably moved just enough to push a borderline shackle over the edge- when you got the weight off the front end of yours at Eagle Lakes the shackles perked up fine. I'm sure when you step on the brakes or park down hill they are laying on the frame? If you did a bunch of welding on the front with the leafs still attached I wonder if you heated up the front bushings enough to also add some slop to whatever might have moved up there...? As in: Everything was dialed in real close to tolerance (soft shackle angle) pre-breakage, then the front shifted a quarter, the bushings softened way up after welding around them, another quarter, pushes everything back a half with weight on it.

I dont think I will resort to bumpstops on the frame quite yet lol.

I just got my new Marlin springs yesterday and am hoping to get them in on Sunday if all goes well, then the following Saturday I will probably go to Hollister and test everything out.

If that doesnt work I am taking my shit to A.J.'s and getting the allpro 3 link setup installed.....fawk shackles, I dont like shackles right now or leaf springs lol.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
I already have an axle silly ;) unless the kit only works with the Diamond axle, then I'm screwed
the kit ONLY works with the AllPro axle; damn, haven't you read my thread and those with the D44s? LOL
That's why AP will no longer sell the kit for axles other than their hybrid unless you are completely aware that a huge amount of fabbing will be necessary to make it work with another axle.

If you really want to go 3-link and have AJ do it talk to him about buying just certain parts from the AP kit like the lower links and upper link brackets, shock mounts, etc.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the kit ONLY works with the AllPro axle; damn, haven't you read my thread and those with the D44s? LOL
That's why AP will no longer sell the kit for axles other than their hybrid unless you are completely aware that a huge amount of fabbing will be necessary to make it work with another axle.

If you really want to go 3-link and have AJ do it talk to him about buying just certain parts from the AP kit like the lower links and upper link brackets, shock mounts, etc.
I wasnt sure if that was the case or not, honestly I havent had time to a lot of research on the All-Pro 3-link kit (I am too involved in my new career move) so really Ive just seen the end results such as yours and a few others....either way AJ will be hearing from me if my truck keeps doing what it is doing! :mad:

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
i did the entire thing for under 5K,
D44 axle and build $1,000
allpro $2800 +/-

$300 install gears
$100 gears ebay
$180 install kit

cut off wheels, sawzall blades. bolts. blah blah. around $100
then send your notes to Anthony, LOL

awesome job! how did it do on your wheeling trip?

·
Registered
342 Posts
then send your notes to Anthony, LOL

awesome job! how did it do on your wheeling trip?

thats funny, my name is Anthony. i you have another truck, and a garage just take your time. and scratch your head alot. i now have a bald pot.

wheeling went amazing. aside from loosing a sneaker in the mud.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
thats funny, my name is Anthony. i you have another truck, and a garage just take your time. and scratch your head alot. i now have a bald pot.

wheeling went amazing. aside from loosing a sneaker in the mud.

oops :p

yea, too many Anthonys in this club.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts