TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I would post up for whatever reason.
Needed shorter shackles so made some odd ones- yeah shoulda left more meat around the bolt holes but shit happens. Bumper clearanced, etc.
Decided to move the shocks finally while I was at it- Ruff Stuff shocks tabs on the lowers are awesome, ghetto fab up top. Lots left to do, borrowed 135with flux core so trying to make the best of it between trips to the breaker box ;)

Separation between the shocks is cooler size :)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, you can't tell a difference. I need some brass bushings between washers in there maybe? They are barely snugged down but last time I tried to flex them I still had my shocks the old way so only about 2" up travel after the shorter shackles- hard to say at this time. I'll be back up off Gold River tomorrow and see what they do with spiff new shock position.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Once again, very creative there, Wes.

Can't go wrong with the Ruffstuff tabs. Super easy to install.

Gotta wonder if/how long those bolts will hold up. Better have a spare or two just in case!

Can't wait to see how it will flex though. See ya in a couple weeks!

·
Registered
779 Posts
wow, good job, you really did want shorter shackles... Before and after shots for those who didn't see you old ones!?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I HIGHLY doubt that .120 square tube is gonna hold up to the stresses of a twisting axle. You are correct, you did not leave enough material on there around those bolts. And for an axle, to not use at least 9/16 bolts is rather underkill. To strenghten the whole thing, you might want to try welding a stinger bumper to it. But only if it has no bends.:rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I would rethink that whole mess before you hurt somebody when it rips apart and launches what's left of your truck. And finally, you have a lot more uptravel than you have shock showing. Better get some shorter shocks, or some bigger bumpstops to fix that.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What theh fuck are you talking about? A tube stinger? Get off the rock dude- the shackles are made out of .250" square tube and .5" grade eight hardware is more than sufficient. What are stock Tacoma shackles made out of 1/8? 3/16? If I like the shackles and If they do anything fancy that I care for they are coming off for reinforcement just to be safe. It will be a while before I tear through 1/4" with bushings and sleeves all around and sleeves in the center.
As far as 5 up and 7 down, currently on the shocks I'll lose another .75 of that when I remove the half overload and whatever swapping leaves up does THEN I will bump it. The Chevy's won't give me but about 5 down as it is.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What theh fuck are you talking about? A tube stinger? Get off the rock dude- the shackles are made out of .250" square tube and .5" grade eight hardware is more than sufficient. What are stock Tacoma shackles made out of 1/8? 3/16? If I like the shackles and If they do anything fancy that I care for they are coming off for reinforcement just to be safe. It will be a while before I tear through 1/4" with bushings and sleeves all around and sleeves in the center.
As far as 5 up and 7 down, currently on the shocks I'll lose another .75 of that when I remove the half overload and whatever swapping leaves up does THEN I will bump it. The Chevy's won't give me but about 5 down as it is.
wes can i see a pic of what the top side of the shock mounts look like?it all in all looks like it will work if the back end is not to stiff.i dont know about cutting the bed up in all.i think the bolts will hold up before you rip apart the sheet metal around it or the box tube.welder: its all about trial and error.only the real fabbers will try anything before reading and beleving anything what other sayon the internet.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
JC why you didn't just use Currie's orbits, instead of fabbing custom shackles? Will the shackles net you that much more flex? Not bagging on your fab work, JC.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$$- for what orbit eyes or JJ's would have cost I have enough material to make 3 or 4 sets of these. Just time to do it - but that goes with everything.
They seem to flex good'er'- I wasn't looking for anything extreme, just to relieve some bushing strain and I think I got it. I have heard terrible things about JJ and orbit eyes wandering and needing a panhard- frankly I'd rather have to build a trac bar than a panhard.
Man, after I swapped out the #2 chevy leaf for a cut down waggy main leaf this thing rides like a champ. Still got a little vibe in the rear tires? at street pressure (30psi) but it rides much nicer than it did with the full on half ton leafs. Around 23.25 up front, 22.75 in the rear give or take so sitting fairly level now too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts