TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving onto the back of the truck. I have been battling this one out. I have talked to some people threw IM and still can't decide. I'm just looking for some imput on both sides. I've heard that AAL with stiffen the ride BUT make the springs more of an arch shape and you get better flex. I've heard that Shackles will flatten out springs BUT rides better.

I'm looking for both sides of the arguement. I'm mostly a daily driver so please keep that in mind.

Chris - VA

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
Moving onto the back of the truck. I have been battling this one out. I have talked to some people threw IM and still can't decide. I'm just looking for some imput on both sides. I've heard that AAL with stiffen the ride BUT make the springs more of an arch shape and you get better flex. I've heard that Shackles will flatten out springs BUT rides better.

I'm looking for both sides of the arguement. I'm mostly a daily driver so please keep that in mind.

Chris - VA
that pretty well covers it except you can get more flex out of OE springs and longer shackles then OE springs with the AAL, mainly in the 'stuff' dept. but, if you plan on hauling/towing forget going with just the shackles.

Once you do figure out what you want you'll need to take measurements of your shock mounts at 'stuff' and 'droop', each side to be able to order the correct length shocks.
http://www.bajataco.com/travel-measurement.html

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So basically your saying for a daily driver that the AAL would be a better buy then the Shackle. I'm going to be hauling a motorcycle in there some of the time during the summer when I drive down to the beach. That's probably the extent of the hauling that's going to be done with my truck.

How come you can't haul with a shackle lift on a truck? what makes it so much different then just running the aal ?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
So basically your saying for a daily driver that the AAL would be a better buy then the Shackle. I'm going to be hauling a motorcycle in there some of the time during the summer when I drive down to the beach. That's probably the extent of the hauling that's going to be done with my truck.

How come you can't haul with a shackle lift on a truck? what makes it so much different then just running the aal ?
the problem with hauling and having just OE springs and lift shackles is that the shackles tend to accelerate the process of flattening out the springs and you wind up with less lift than you had w/o the shackles in the first place.

since you aren't hauling stuff on a regular basis and when you do it's not much weight, try some shackles. Downey has 1.5" for around $60. going more than that is just not practical with OE springs and they will flatten out fast w/o extra weight. If you need more lift than that you'll have to go the AAL route or get some aftermarket springs.

Now, someone explaing WHY this happens, LOL I have no idea. I'm sure it's a physics 101 thing but that was nearly 30 yrs ago.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:

Chris - VA
When I 1st lifted my truck, I did a 2.5" spacer and 1.5" long AAL in the rear and the truck sat level. The truck rode firmer but not stiff or bone jarring. I've had the AAL on for 33k miles and 1.5" shackles on for about 10k and my springs still have an upward arch to them(my bed is empty about 98% of the time). I recommend an AAL 1st, if you need more lift, then do a shackle. Oh yeah, the shackle did smooth out the ride a little.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
MDTRD said:
When I 1st lifted my truck, I did a 2.5" spacer and 1.5" long AAL in the rear and the truck sat level. The truck rode firmer but not stiff or bone jarring. I've had the AAL on for 33k miles and 1.5" shackles on for about 10k and my springs still have an upward arch to them(my bed is empty about 98% of the time). I recommend an AAL 1st, if you need more lift, then do a shackle. Oh yeah, the shackle did smooth out the ride a little.
hmm, that makes more sense then my advice...after all, its a truck so it should ride a little 'firm' ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All that makes perfect sense!

Thanks for everything. I was reading up on that site. I'm probably not going to lift my truck more then 2" in the front. I think I'm goign to end up with the rear end sitting slightly higher then the front anyways right. I haven't seen anything that makes our trucks sit level at 2" of lift.

What brand would you suggest for AAL? I'm buying a set of SAWs for the front and thinking about the kit that comes from Extreme Offroad. It already comes with the downey aal, but I don't know how much rear lift that is going to give me truck or if there are different levels I could get them. :confused:

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
I think I'm goign to end up with the rear end sitting slightly higher then the front anyways right. I haven't seen anything that makes our trucks sit level at 2" of lift.

What brand would you suggest for AAL? I'm buying a set of SAWs for the front and thinking about the kit that comes from Extreme Offroad. It already comes with the downey aal, but I don't know how much rear lift that is going to give me truck or if there are different levels I could get them.
I got a similar kit from Extreme, only I went with Kings instead of SAW's. The Downey AAL gives about 1.5" lift, and with the coilovers set at 2" of lift, my truck sits level. Everybody's truck is different, but with the SAW's set at 2" up front and the Downey AAL in the rear, your truck should sit level, or very close to it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
synovus said:
I got a similar kit from Extreme, only I went with Kings instead of SAW's. The Downey AAL gives about 1.5" lift, and with the coilovers set at 2" of lift, my truck sits level. Everybody's truck is different, but with the SAW's set at 2" up front and the Downey AAL in the rear, your truck should sit level, or very close to it.
dang my truck is gay, i have kings set at 2.5" front and a 1.5" shackle rear and my ass is still higher :mad:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. Now I don't have to write extreme again and ask them more questions about the Downey stuff. I don't mind if it sits a little higher in the rear but I don't want a huge difference because I'm not lifting the front more then 2" if I can get away with it.

How do you tell that the front is lifted 2 inches? What is the best way to adjust the coilovers? while on the vehicle or off? I'm clueless when it comes to dealing with these things. sorry in advanced.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
Thank you. Now I don't have to write extreme again and ask them more questions about the Downey stuff. I don't mind if it sits a little higher in the rear but I don't want a huge difference because I'm not lifting the front more then 2" if I can get away with it.

How do you tell that the front is lifted 2 inches? What is the best way to adjust the coilovers? while on the vehicle or off? I'm clueless when it comes to dealing with these things. sorry in advanced.
I'm pretty sure the SAW's are set for 2" of lift right out of the box. But if you want measurements, you can use a tape measure to measure from the ground to the pinch weld at each wheel. I'm struggling to explain it in non-confusing terms, so maybe pics would help... (see the 3rd and 4th pics)

http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacoma mods/King shocks/king shocks.htm

Take measurements at each wheel before you install the lift (stock height) and write those numbers down somewhere so you don't forget, and then measure again after you install the lift (in the same spots, obviously). Subtract the original measurement from the "after-lift" measurement to see how much lift you gained.

There should be instructions included on how to adjust them, but basically you just loosen the set screw (with an allen wrench) and then use a spanner wrench (may or may not be included with the coilovers; I'm not sure) to increase or decrease the preload on the springs. Increasing preload provides more lift, decreasing lowers (turning right lifts, turning left lowers, in other words). You can adjust them either on the truck or off. Since they'll be brand new, they shouldn't be too hard to adjust (having the tire off the ground helps). Oh, and be sure to use anti-seize on the threads, to help with future adjustments. It'd also probably be a good idea to set the driver's side at 1/4"-3/8" higher, to compensate for the driver's side lean common in our trucks, but that's up to you. Some people do it, some don't.

After you've had the coilovers on your truck for a week or so, measure your ride height again to check for any settling, and do it again after about a month. Also check and/or re-torque your bolts after about 100 miles. And remember, it's always a good idea to get an alignment after you install a lift.

Hope all of that was more helpful than confusing. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like that website that you have there. I just read a couple of quick things on there and it's really nice. I do understand everything that you have said - don't worry you aren't to confusing because I have some basic knowledge. lol. I really have appriciated all the help you have given me and everyone else. You have posted on a couple other of my posts as well. Thanks again!

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
I like that website that you have there. I just read a couple of quick things on there and it's really nice.
I wish I could say that was my site! That's Peter Parks' site, another member here. But yeah, his site is a wealth of information. I find myself referring to it fairly regularly. It's people like him that make learning more about our trucks and getting into 4-wheeling a lot easier and a lot more fun.

Tacoma4Life06 said:
I do understand everything that you have said - don't worry you aren't to confusing because I have some basic knowledge. lol. I really have appriciated all the help you have given me and everyone else. You have posted on a couple other of my posts as well. Thanks again!
Hey, no problem. Glad to help. Good luck with everything, and as always keep reading up on things and learning all you can... and sharing your knowledge/experience with others when you can. Feel free to post any other questions you have as time goes along (to avoid flaming, always search for your answer first, though).

Maybe you can hit your parents (or whoever) up for that B'day money a little early to speed the lift purchase. LOL! It's worth a shot, anyway! :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish I could do that but I think that I'm getting my spray in bedliner for my birthday present this year. I would rather have that then the crappy plastic one I have in my truck right now.

You don't have to worry about me not posting on here. I'm always around the board and now that I have a tacoma I try to come here regularly to see what everyone is doing.

How do I get it to say VA Member uner my name instead of just plain member? I should be a member of the VA Chapter, but I never got an email back from anyone and it's been around 2 months now.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
How do I get it to say VA Member uner my name instead of just plain member? I should be a member of the VA Chapter, but I never got an email back from anyone and it's been around 2 months now.
The "Member" under your name is determined by your post count, rather than which chapter you're a member of. This board/forum is not the same as being a member of TTORA, or a TTORA chapter. What I mean is that you can be a member of this forum, but not a member of TTORA.

As far as the VA chapter, try visiting their board and asking about it there.

http://forum.ttora-va.com/

I'm not sure who the president is for that chapter, but someone there will surely be able to help you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
5 Participants
Tacoma4Life06
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing