TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my lift blocks with some new 3" rear lift springs from Northwest Off Road Specialties here in Washington. The install went great but the total lift was 4.75". Add this to my 2.5" lift in the front and I've got the goofiest looking truck in town.

I confirmed part #'s over the phone and everything is correct.

Two other friends looked at the springs and confirmed everything was installed correctly.

The tech dude from NWOR said the extra lift was caused because I tightened my shackles while the truck was jacked up and they were extended. This made since at first until I had a friend jump up and down on the bumper and they seem to pivot just fine.

I called NWOR back and this time was told that I should loosen my shackles and then load my truck (I'm assuming with firewood or something) until the shackles allow the truck to lower and then retighten. I'm not the brightest guy around, but this sounds like bs to me...

Any thoughts out there as to what the problem may be and how to fix it? I know they will break in and sag a little, but not 2.25" I'm sure.

I guess I could lift the front more, but that wasn't the plan...

Thanks for the help,

Rob

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It sounds like they are REALLY tall, but you might be surprised how much they break in. I have installed a couple sets of springs like that on my vehicle and others. I had a set of 1" lift springs that gave me 3" and then sagged back to stock. We installed TG's kit in a buddies truck and he got something stupid like 8" of lift out of it, but once he drove it around it dropped down to 5".
I would get a 3-4 bags of sand and throw them in the back, then drive around like that, take it wheeling, cycling the suspension will really help. They will break in and be lower.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
How is the ride? if you were to "restrict" your leaf springs as with an over tightened shackle the truck would ride rough.

Letting them settle would be good for maybe an inch but I don't thing 2.25" is going to be gained, that would mean your shackles were frozen tight at the fully extended position.

can you jump up and down in your bed and get movement? If so, your shackles are moving, even a little.

Go ahead and loosen them up. But I think by under load, them just meant with the truck weight down on the axle not with the bed loaded down. All that will do is break in the new leaf springs. which could be part of the problem as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a link to the springs I bought if it helps at all. Scroll down a little and you'll see them pictured with a block kit that I didn't get. They're sold to add a 3" lift as well as a little more in carry capacity.

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/tacomasuspen.html

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ride is rough but I figured it was because I was going from a flat rear spring to a new "lift" spring. I guess it rides like a truck.

As far as movement in the shackles. With my buddy bouncing on the bumper I get a little bit of movement. Maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inches.

That makes a lots more sense of "under load" being the weight of the truck. I'll give this a shot tonight.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
i got some allpro shackles that are .75in lift and when i put those on it looked like a had a funny car. it shoved the rear end up about 3 inches them settled to prolly around an inch. so you should be fine.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
mixedgasdiver said:
I just replaced my lift blocks with some new 3" rear lift springs from Northwest Off Road Specialties here in Washington. The install went great but the total lift was 4.75". Add this to my 2.5" lift in the front and I've got the goofiest looking truck in town.

I confirmed part #'s over the phone and everything is correct.

Two other friends looked at the springs and confirmed everything was installed correctly.

The tech dude from NWOR said the extra lift was caused because I tightened my shackles while the truck was jacked up and they were extended. This made since at first until I had a friend jump up and down on the bumper and they seem to pivot just fine.

I called NWOR back and this time was told that I should loosen my shackles and then load my truck (I'm assuming with firewood or something) until the shackles allow the truck to lower and then retighten. I'm not the brightest guy around, but this sounds like bs to me...

Any thoughts out there as to what the problem may be and how to fix it? I know they will break in and sag a little, but not 2.25" I'm sure.

I guess I could lift the front more, but that wasn't the plan...

Thanks for the help,

Rob
Ah, another victim of nwor's idiot techs when it comes to Tacomas, sign...

their HD springs that they advertize (and have done so for at least 4+yrs that I know of) for a 3/4" lift have given a consistant 3" lift on every single Tacoma in this club that has tried them. Their 2" springs (what you got) consistantly give over 4"...as you've discovered. They have been told this so many times I've lost count :rolleyes: The springs will not settle that much. Mine are pushing 4yrs (HDs) now with no problems...2.5-3" and I haul a lot of weight quite often.

not trying to be an ass, but...
next time you think about buying something, post here first and ask about it or at least do some searching ;)

been there, done that, sent back the nwor parts...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
dont worry, when a couple of their shoddy leaves snap, your truck will be lower.....

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
jimbo74 said:
dont worry, when a couple of their shoddy leaves snap, your truck will be lower.....
i have yet to hear of a nwor spring breaking. mine have held up to 2000# loads dozens of times. I overloaded them a couple times to the point they sagged, got them rearched and all is good again.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
hytenor said:
i have yet to hear of a nwor spring breaking. mine have held up to 2000# loads dozens of times. I overloaded them a couple times to the point they sagged, got them rearched and all is good again.

someone help me out, i dont recall where, or who it was, one of the toy sites i belong to, but i have heard many complaints about them, and saw someones truck that has broken several leaves of their pack

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
jimbo74 said:
someone help me out, i dont recall where, or who it was, one of the toy sites i belong to, but i have heard many complaints about them, and saw someones truck that has broken several leaves of their pack
news to me and I usually catch all the nwor posts, LOL

it might have been Pirate

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
thehackman15 said:
I remember that one :p

their springs are meant for weight, not jumping and lots of flex. (most springs aren't meant for jumping :rolleyes: )

if you are looking for lift springs that are really flexy and don't need extra load capacity go with Deavers. I needed the the extra load cap so got the nwors.

wait, that's not the one I was thinking of...nevermind.

heck, he was crawling, LOL, or, rather, hopping. bad news w/or w/out the crawler ;) ouch!

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
i still remember my surprise when i got lift springs!

had to crank the coilovers WAY up..
i 'spose you could remove a leaf to even things up..

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
KRYPTO(dale) said:
i still remember my surprise when i got lift springs!

had to crank the coilovers WAY up..
i 'spose you could remove a leaf to even things up..
Dale!!! :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have delt with this company ONE TIME! and that was way to many times for my liking. Very bad customer service and I have heard nothing but problems from there stuff. I could not even get through the ordering process to try their stuff.. that is how bad their customer service is. How do you get a call from a customer who wants to order parts and within three min you have me telling them to fuck off and hanging up!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I guess I don't frequent/search the board often enough to have seen negative reviews on the springs... My fault... However... I bought them after a friend picked up a set. He was fairly happy with the results and didn't have to pay shipping from CA or somewhere. Come to find out he only bought the HD's knowing they would lift - where as I bought the 3" HD's thinking they would only lift 3". Yea, WAYYY too much to expect. Some how I misunderstood all of this.

Nothing really worked to get them down in height. Even with 240 lbs of tube sand and a day of wheeling, and later hauling a load of gravel they only went down about 1/4 inch. This still made my 3" lift closer to 5".

I've called them back SEVERAL times to the point where they just quit taking my calls. I tried talking to the owner who is the perfect example of how to never treat a customer and got nowhere. These people must stay in business from people who don't do their research like me. The fucking retard who can't speak english in the "sales/tech support" line actually made an attempt to blame me because I was "asking too much". Yea that was it... He acutally went and got notes from our conversation when I ordered them and started reading them back to me, the whole time not understanding that my 3" springs were lifting my truck 4.75". All he wanted to do was yell and piss me off. Yesterday I had my college room mate (now a partner in a law firm and a good drinking buddy) give them a call. Today he and I drove up there and I got my money back, plus shipping, plus gas money from Tacoma, while they got some crap springs back. (This has been the only time that having a lawyer as a best friend has paid off...) I threw away my blocks so now with the sagging stock springs back on I'm leaning the other way... At least water doesn't stay in the bed this way.

This afternoon I called deaver and ordered some new springs.

Rob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
10 Participants
ah64id
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing