TTORA Forum banner

Shackles vs. AAL

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  mojavegold 
#1 ·
So I have decided to go with a toyotec 3" lift with the OME coil springs on the front, since I have read some bad things about the spacers. But my question is do I go with the ALL or the shackles? I have read through the forum and to me it seems that both are pretty good. I just need some help deciding what to go with. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :D

#4 · (Edited)
One more confirmation for the shackle and the AAL. . . . When I was running that lift, I found the rear sagged after a couple of weeks with just the shackle. The AAL put it back where it should be and kept it there. (I used this one from wheelersoffroad) You might as well do it all at one time. . .

#6 ·
I started with an AAL, then added shackles. Then I added airbags. New springs are coming soon. In defense of the stock springs, I do tow a 18 ft, 3000# trailer with 2 fullsize moto bikes in the trucks bed so I'm probably harder on my truck than most.

I'd do it the same way again. AAL first, then shackles if you want more lift. Replacement springs are the best way to go, but I've gotten 2 1/2 hard years so far out of my $70 AAL. If I'd bought new springs right away they might be halfway sacked out by now anyway...

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
That's great to hear, I've been watching my springs pretty closely and they are just now getting that S shape I've been hearing about. That and I've lost about an inch of height over the last year or so. I'm thinking aout the Alcans that wheelers is selling + long travel airbags.

What don't you like about OME shocks? Performance or did yours break/blow?

#10 ·
That's great to hear, I've been watching my springs pretty closely and they are just now getting that S shape I've been hearing about. That and I've lost about an inch of height over the last year or so. I'm thinking aout the Alcans that wheelers is selling + long travel airbags.

What don't you like about OME shocks? Performance or did yours break/blow?
The only thing I am leery about the airbags that wheelers sells, air lift, is that they mount aft of the axle, so if you are using them for lots of leveling you are forcing your springs into an S shape. I have the firestone bags and they mount over the axle, but wont work on a leaf pack other than OEM w/out modification. I have yet to see if the firestone bags limit travel, according to firestone they wont.

#7 ·
What year truck would help us to help you. If it's an 05-07, shackles won't do you any good. It's a reverse shackle set up on those trucks.

#11 · (Edited)
AH64; what mods need to be done to mount the firestone bags on a Dakar spring? I'm assuming that the leaf pack being thicker would require longer bolts? Just curious, as I may consider using this bag, if it won't limit droop with the Dakars. I think I may need some extra support when I haul all my gear to the desert. I sold my other bags when I put the Dakars on. Can you ramp your truck and take some pics and measurements with the bags installed? Somewhat:xofftopic

#12 ·
I will ramp it here pretty quick. I know it will travel better when I get that hose made.

As as mods for leafs other than OEM, you will have to make the bracket that bolts to the leavs. It biased to the center of the axle so it has a 90* break that contact the axle. On thicker leaves than OEM it will not contact the axle and will not support the weight correctly. I am guessing the dakars are about 1" thicker than the OEM leafs, and you got 3" lift right? So you would probally need to make a 2" spacer to go between the bag and the mount as well. The top mount will not be affected.

#13 ·
AH64; thanks for the info. I see said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw:) So basically I would only need to weld an extension for the axle bracket or fab a new one. No problem. What was the cost of the kit? I'll wait for your ramp pics also. I don't want to lose any droop.

#14 ·
If you are drooping more than you did stock I would guess you would loose some droop. Here in a day or two I will get the photos and measurements. But basically yeah all you need to do is either add to or fab your own bottom bracket. I bought the kit from summit for 241... cheapest price by far.

#17 ·
10-4 Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.