TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd share again...

Erik and I again decided to make another run up the San Jacinto Mountain range... This time we took a different route... It turned out to be a damn good run at that...

I believe we took the S104 (Or was it the S105 ? fark...)... which climbed steadily up into the mountains with a shear drop to our western side... Awesome veiws at 4 to 5000 ft going up... Our run started down off Hwy. 74 Which is (I'm guessing here... 1100 ft or so above sea level) as in the first run... We came upon a trail Sponsered by the Hemet Jeep Club so we decided to take it and see where we'd end up... We have been looking for more of a challenge out in this area and I think we found it... The trail is an up hill climb most of the way and the trail is rutted purdy good and has a few obstacles... I think 4X will be needed here... Unless yer just real special... LOL... After the climb it dumps down into a valley for a bit and then begans to climb again but much easier... It dropped us out at Vista Point on the Hwy. coming from Idyllwild headed to Banning (about 5500 ft)... Not far from where we came out last time... But his trail was much better... To our excitement it began to snow just as we reached Vista Point... We headed for Idyllwild... Coupla' miles up the road we came across Black Mountain Rd... Now that is the road/trail that leads to the highest point on the San Jacinto's that you can get to by vehicle (7800 ft)... Usually the gate is closed at first snow... But we found it open (even though the sign said closed :confused: )... It was snowing purdy heavy as we headed up into there... After getting most of the way up there we ran into some closed gates and returned down to the Hwy... To our amazement... nearly 3" of snow had dropped in that period... The hwy. was snow white... Awesome is all I can say... We decided to head for Idyllwild to have a late lunch as it was around 3:00 PM or so... We decided to stay aired down which was a smart thing for us... On the way up the Hwy. We came across a few dozen dumbasses all over the road and in ditches... without chains and driving cars and what not... We had absolutly no problem on the stuff and went around many of them... Offered help to a few and then realized you just can't help a dumbass... LOL... Erik has a few clips of those dumbasses... I'm sure he'll be happy to share with you all... LOL...

A little info on this range... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jacinto_Mountains

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/publishers/westcliffe/ca_jacin.htm

So we went from this...

To this... (In a matter of an hour or so...)

This is the Hwy. as we came out of Black Mountain Rd. looking towards Idyllwild...

Sorry that some of the other guys couldn't make it...
See what you missed :p ...

Oh and just for those that wonder... I'm locked in the rear full time... And It wasn't any problem for me... We did 4X/Hi most of the way back up to Idyllwild and being locked made it easy and safe... On the way back down after the plows had been busy and the roads started getting icy... It was still not an issue... In fact we came upon a section that was icy as hell and we were stuck behind the plow... at least a dozen cars were all over the road and couldn't move (even with chains)... The plow operator stated that he was going to salt the road :( ... I asked him if we could go around first... He said it was ok.. But added he didn't think it was safe... It was extremely slippery as I nearly fell on my ass standing there talking to him... Never the less we decided to go around and had to drive thru the cars stalled on the road like a salom thru some cones... Never once did I feel the locker break loose or slide... Just got to go skinny on the pedal and use the gears and it works like a charm... My new 4.88's really are the shizznit for me... Oh and honorable mention goes to the new BFG MT's... ;)

Listen up SoCal folk... You reall need to come out and play... You shouldn't let Erik and I have all the fun... :p

Oh and all of the pics are here... (Mind you my son Greg was doing most of the camera work... I'm not sure what he was thinking on some of these shots... LOL)
http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/cbrRRman/San Jacinto Mountain Range II/?start=all

Can't wait to see Erik's clips of the Dumbasses... :lmao:

What a way to spend humpday... :D

Oh and thanks Erik for taking the trail with me... :kewl:

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Man I wish it would snow where I live. I've been dieing to see how my Geolander MTs handle the white stuff. After hearing of your success with your MTs, I really can't wait.

That one pic of your hood when it was way off camber. Was it the picture or were you really leaning that bad? Looks like fun. :D

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Rodge said:
Man I wish it would snow where I live. I've been dieing to see how my Geolander MTs handle the white stuff. After hearing of your success with your MTs, I really can't wait.

That one pic of your hood when it was way off camber. Was it the picture or were you really leaning that bad? Looks like fun. :D
It was off camber... and we were climbing at the time... think their was a rut on my right I had to avoid... the boy was against the door trying to get the shot... I stopped for the pic as he was complaining most the way up that he couldn't snap pics easily... I just loved the colors of the surrounding vegetation...

You'll like yer MT's when they're aired down and on the trail for sure... Great in the snow... especailly aired down... I was around 15 psi til we hit dry pavement again...

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I really enjoyed this run even more... The first attempt was good but this was better!!

Here are some pix from my camera!! Hope ya'll enjoy! :)

The start of our run..

Road Before Snow!!

After 1hr...

And some snowy pics...

and a funny one!!!

Here are the rest of my photos!! Enjoy!! :D
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/bmxfiredoode/SanJacinto II Dec06/

Oh ya.. here's the clip of a driver that was havn' a little trouble...

Can I Drive... :lmao:

·
Registered
386 Posts
That looks like the shit. Whens the next trip?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Animal said:
Yer a funny man Dave!! :lmao:
I know ;) where exactly do you guys go, out around near Hemet or further out? I wouldn't mind tagging along one of these times, although I couldn't help but think of Brokeback Mountain when I saw the pics of you two ;) :bhump: :eek:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Those are some sweet pics...I love how the clouds look right before the snow. Looks like you guys had a good time. I wish that it would snow here too....

·
Registered
251 Posts
Animal said:
Doode.. SNWBDR... your from Hemet.. you should hit up TACODELL... he lives there too... the trail isn't to far from town either!!

haha...yeah I know....I've got his number but haven't met the guy yet...I always have a bunch of crap I need to get done, so haven't had time to go wheelin' lately.....but I've been getting the itch so one of these days I'm gonna have to sneak out for a couple hours

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Rodge said:
Awesome pictures, and excellent choice on the band! Was that douche in the jeep without 4WD, or did he just not know how to engage it? :rofl:
The doode didn't have a 4x... it was a general 2x cherokee... :rolleyes:

We past a bunch of Snow Carnage all the way up into town.. and back down!! it was crazy!! but 4x and locker engaged.. No Problem!! :cool:

I'll post up another vid of some of the run.. it's a bit shaky!!! Kinda like Blair Witch.. ha ha.. but you guys (and gals) will get the jist of how much fun it was!! :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts