TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck started to shake real bad when it is just idleing. The best way to describe it is like the motor mounts are going bad, but since it has 78k miles, I don't think thats the problem. Is this normal, or do I need to clean/replace something? Its not throwing a CEL.

Sorry about the vague description, maybe somebody can push me in the right direction.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't, I just got the truck about 8k miles ago from the dealer.

·
Registered
663 Posts
2.7 or 3.4? 2.7 (big 4cyl) will idle a little rougher than the 3.4, IMHO... But if it is as bad as you say, it doesn't matter and you prolly should do what ShowStop suggested. Also, did you run it through deep water? How are the sparkplugs and wires?

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
clean throttle body, MAF, and get some good injector cleaner.
could be EGR vacuum module too, or a cracked exhaust manifold...

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
PowellTacoma said:
those darn exhaust manifolds will get you ever time :rolleyes:

yeap, their junk. Mine was cracked at ~35K, but didnt break in half into
~99K. But since I kept the paperwork from the warranty visits, and they didn`t find it, I got mine replaced for free. :D

I think the other one is cracking now too..time to call LC.

·
Registered
3 Posts

My 99 with a 2.7 did the same thing. Rough idle, but smooth as silk above 1200 RPM. Shook like it had a bad mount and I could hear the missfire inthe exhaust. I did all the cleaning stuff. MAF, injectors, throttle body. New plugs, wires, coil packs. Then I did a compression test and got the bad news. 30 PSI in cyl 2. I know 78k is low for that type of failure, but a compression tester is about 20 bucks and it will take you 30 mins to do. Certainly worth it before you start throwing money at the idle problem. Will give you a good health status of the engine too.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't hear a misfire in the exhaust, also wouldn't i smell fumes if the manifold was cracked?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Endust said:
My 99 with a 2.7 did the same thing. Rough idle, but smooth as silk above 1200 RPM. Shook like it had a bad mount and I could hear the missfire inthe exhaust. I did all the cleaning stuff. MAF, injectors, throttle body. New plugs, wires, coil packs. Then I did a compression test and got the bad news. 30 PSI in cyl 2. I know 78k is low for that type of failure, but a compression tester is about 20 bucks and it will take you 30 mins to do. Certainly worth it before you start throwing money at the idle problem. Will give you a good health status of the engine too.
Solid advise. My 2001 2.7 is smooth as silk at idle.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, ill guess ill do it monday in the shop (this way its free), ill clean the throttle tomorrow. And its about 550 rpms is where it idles.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,371 Posts
Your truck is idling too low, thats probably the biggest reason for the shaking. Begin by cleaning the throttle and checking the butterfly to make sure it closes fully. If the idle doesn't go up, you might want to check the TPS and see if its functioning properly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts