TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that my lift has a few miles on it, I've noticed a few things that I dont like. First, and this may just be in my head, my truck doesn't feel "solid" anymore. Second, the steering is all over the place. I noticed if I air up my tires to around 40-42 psi this goes away. However, they don't wear correctly at that psi. But the steering feels loose. Not sure if this is the steering column issue that is fixed with a spot weld, or what. The PSP isnt leaking, and has plenty of fluid. I also have a torn CV boot, and plan on having that replaced soon but could this affect it as well?

Im wanting to replace the UCA's and all ball joints and tie rods. I'm sure this with tighten things up. But the whole truck just feels, "rickety".

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
My first guess would be the tie rod ends and the ball joints. Bit also check the amount of play in your steering rack. I have noticed with many stock trucks, that once you start lifting them, the rack weakens. This will happen faster with the larger tires you run also.

When you put the lift on, did you have the truck realigned? If not, that could be the issue as well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Truck was realigned. I've actually stopped driving it. So I have time now to fix it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
285 Posts
other than the usual suspects, check the rack 'n pinion mounts, motor mounts.

do you run sway bars?

lift kit can raise the vehicle's roll center, it's normal if you feel the trucks likes to lean over when turning.

if you got a print-out after the alignment, post up the camber, caster and toe numbers.

pretty common for excessive positive camber since everything goes up. positive camber cause the tire contact patch smaller than neutral camber, even smaller when turning. that can cause the feel of light steering wheel, too.

it's almost impossible for a lifted truck to get aligned within factory specs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dunno....just feels like a lot of play in the wheel. When shooting down a country road, I can feel the strain that the larger tires are putting on it. Just didn't feel normal ya know? Guess I have to keep in mind it is a 12 year old truck with 150,000 miles on it. Everything felt really tight when they put the new frame in. I am running sway bars. But its nothing to do with turning, more to do with all the little creaks and noises when hitting bumps, and the steering feeling loose.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What is your castor set at? My truck kinda drives like ass down a crowned country road because I have zero castor after lift with stock UCA's. The crown just pulls it all over the place and you really have to be a wheelman to keep it between the lines.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ Are you saying new UCA's will somewhat help? (Along with ball joints.)

·
Registered
178 Posts
^^^ Are you saying new UCA's will somewhat help? (Along with ball joints.)

It depends..

If your ball joints, TRE's, and steering rack are solid then the lack of castor will definitely make the truck more wandery on the highway. The crown of the road changing exaggerates the feeling for me. It's just not worth $500 for new UCA's to me at least. I'm used to it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
clund21
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing