TTORA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Returning from a road trip, my 2002 Tacoma (4x4, 2.7L, 300K) started missing and showed a trouble code of P0303. I was about 100 miles from home and was able to nurse her home despite the missing and loss of power getting progressively worse.
P0303 is a generic code for misfiring in cylinder #3.
I decided to start by changing out the plugs and ignition coils as these were the original coils and just the second set of plugs and everything was way overdue.
1,2 and 4 were no problem. #3 spark plug was shattered. The igniter was in horrible condition and all the ceramic insulation was broken and had filled in the spaces around the plug nut so that the socket was unable to go over the plug and seat on the plug nut. The ceramic seems to be fused or jammed around the base of the spark plug blocking the socket. The plugs sit about 3 or 4 inches down a narrow tube which limits access and visibility.
So far I have removed the old electrode with a magnet and tried using a dental pick to lossen up what i could of the ceramic and snag it with forceps to pull it out. I got a little of it but not enough. I wrapped duct tape around the forceps, sticky side out, and tried to fish out what I could using the adhesive. I got a little but not enough. I used a deep, thin wall 5/8" socket (not plug socket) and tapped on it with a hammer to try to break up and loosen up the ceramic around the plug. Was able to get out a bit more but the socket still will not fit over the plug sufficiently to screw it out. I have used my shop vac with a funnel on the end to get down into the hole in which the plug sits but it was unable to suck much out. Like everything else I have tried, I got a little out but not enough.
Is my only recourse to spend the next week digging bits of ceramic insulation out or is there a quicker way?
Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
What about a small rod or dowel with some super glue set in there for a minute on the broken pieces?

High pressure air or water hose (desperate last try?)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts