TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking interest on running the trails in the shaver lake area October 10-12. I will be hitting the trail head Friday a.m. and wheeling out Sunday a.m.

I don't know this area at all but I am going to be forced to learn it due to the king fire closing the Rubicon. I had been planning a trip there but barring a large amount of rain in the next week, that trail will be closed.

I am thinking of the red mountain trails area.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This looks like a good description of the area. Borrowed from another thread. Thank you hytenor.

Swamp Lk is like a shorter Dusy...many of the same challenges...just shorter. it can be run in a day but you'd miss a lot.

Brewer Lk is a short in/out with a fun spot at the tail end.

Bald Mt has all kinds of stuff to do from mild to NFW (no fucking way :p)...lots of side lines to play on that are not on the mail route. Go with somebody who knows the area.
There are dozens of camp sites along Rock Creek Road, some huge, some small...just pick a side road and explore ;)

Red Mt trails trail heads for all start at Sand Flat. You can base camp there and do day trips or make a nice 3-4 day time camping at Coyote one night and Mirror or Strawberry the next, wheeling the rest of the trails in between. Lots of good camping at Coyote and Strawberry but only 3-4 sites at Mirror.

Rock crawling on the lake bed at Huntington Lk this year as the lake level is about half due to the drought. There have been a couple competitions already run there with more in the works.
There are set courses or you can find your own routes. Stock to buggy
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/usa-...ore-rock-crawl-huntington-lake-ca-fresno.html

cool interactive topo map site similar to google maps
http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.20907,-119.14713&z=15&b=f

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to the shaver lake area. The two other jeeps that are going with me really want to go see that area. We have never been down there and it turns out it is in our deer hunting zone.
I wanted to do the Rubicon with you guys but I was overruled. I will catch you guys next time.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
how'd you like the area?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That place is great. I could have never imagined the lakes would have been so remote and only accessible with a really nice 4x4. Campsites are a++

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
That place is great. I could have never imagined the lakes would have been so remote and only accessible with a really nice 4x4. Campsites are a++
how many of the trails did you get to run...just Red/Coyote?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes we only ran red/and coyote. We camped at red lake and day tripped to coyote. We considered mirror yesterday on the way out but thought we might just be pushing our luck to get home before dark.

We fished more than we wheeled!

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Yes we only ran red/and coyote. We camped at red lake and day tripped to coyote. We considered mirror yesterday on the way out but thought we might just be pushing our luck to get home before dark.

We fished more than we wheeled!
fishing at Mirror (stocked by FS) is usually very good so plan on that one next time. Fish in Strawberry as well.

Swamp Lk trail: If you camp at the first ridge (going in from the south entrance) (awesome place!) you can day hike to Sportsman Lk and Hatch Lk...both are very good.
I haven't made it to Virginia Lk yet so don't know if it has fish...
Betty Lk is barren...checked it out last year
Mud Lks are on private property
Grouse Lk...brookies
Swamp Lk same and some rainbow

Brewer Lk and Tocher next to it have fish.
Not sure about Beryl between Tocher and Coyote...haven't been there.

Most of the lakes on/near dusy have fish...some with some hawgs :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fishing at Mirror (stocked by FS) is usually very good so plan on that one next time. Fish in Strawberry as well.

Swamp Lk trail: If you camp at the first ridge (going in from the south entrance) (awesome place!) you can day hike to Sportsman Lk and Hatch Lk...both are very good.
I haven't made it to Virginia Lk yet so don't know if it has fish...
Betty Lk is barren...checked it out last year
Mud Lks are on private property
Grouse Lk...brookies
Swamp Lk same and some rainbow

Brewer Lk and Tocher next to it have fish.
Not sure about Beryl between Tocher and Coyote...haven't been there.

Most of the lakes on/near dusy have fish...some with some hawgs :p
More awesome info. Thank you. Definitely one of my new favorite places.

How does the fs stock mirror? Isn't that a really hard trail. Do you know if they stock red lake? All we caught were small brook trout.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
More awesome info. Thank you. Definitely one of my new favorite places.

How does the fs stock mirror? Isn't that a really hard trail. Do you know if they stock red lake? All we caught were small brook trout.
air drops from what I've been told...but...they may 'drive' them in :p
the fish (all Rainbow) there are NOT native like I thought my first time there...found out a couple years ago it is planted.

I don't know about the other lakes but should be able to find out...will post later.

The only "hard" part on Mirror is the drop down (and more so back up) from the top of the trail where there used to be a FS warning sign. it can give even very well built rigs a time. The worst/most fun spot is the Rock/Tree squeeze at the bottom ;) I've had times when I walked right up and others where it took several trys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts