TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple of pics from the camping trip me and my boy took over the weekend. I had to field test the cup-holders, of course.

This was a killer camping spot about 1.5 mi up the canyon.

Just upslope from this was the best waterfall out of the four we saw. It had a good 15' drop. We put on our trunks and headed in for a cool-down. Talk about cold - couldn't have been more than 56/58.

I rode out with a half-can in the cup-holder and didn't spill a drop. Mission accomplished.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Where is that??? gosh I thought i knew everywhere around here:D

nice pics and thumbs up on gettin your kid out camping! Being a school teacher at an expensive private school in la jolla i see way too many kids suffering from nature deficite disorder.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
miguelitro said:
Where is that??? gosh I thought i knew everywhere around here:D

nice pics and thumbs up on gettin your kid out camping! Being a school teacher at an expensive private school in la jolla i see way too many kids suffering from nature deficite disorder.
Sheep Canyon Primitive Camp is west of Lower Willows after you come up Coyote Canyon.

I've had the little man camping since he could walk. He's at the point now to where I let him drive (on my lap of course) on the way out. He's now old enough to where we can go for longer and longer hikes. The upper elevations to the WNW of that canyon are so un-explored it's not even funny. It's all hiking but places that the Natives occupied not even 150 yrs ago. The times we spend together camping are some of the best. And nothing like watching your boy walking away from camp with a shovel and some TP to "drop the kids off at the pool"

Funny thing about the "beverage holders" - I had to slow down before the hardball for some equestrian folks when they commented "do you know you have a beer on your bumper" to which I replied "just doing some field testing". I left camp with a half-can and arrived in BS with the same. Mission accomplished.

·
Registered
224 Posts
sweet pics! I like your new bumper, wanna make me one?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cell4soul said:
Looks like a sick spot, I'll have to hit it up.
Jerry Schad's book "Afoot and Afield in SD County" has a good write-up on the hikes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We saw you

we saw you guys on your way home I believe. We were camped out right before the third water crossing and getting ready to head up. In fact we stayed at your campsite. The fire ring was still warm when we got there. I remember saying to myself, that's a nice taco. We were in a black Tundra with a Can-back and a 4runner. Another ironic thing is that you were the one who recommended Josh from Tubing works to weld on my sliders, which he did a great job on. Wish we could have formally met, but maybe next time. That was my first time up in my Tundra, and the area is down right beautiful.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thien said:
we saw you guys on your way home I believe. We were camped out right before the third water crossing and getting ready to head up. In fact we stayed at your campsite. We were in a black Tundra with a Can-back and a 4runner. Another ironic thing is that you were the one who recommended Josh from Tubing works to weld on my sliders, which he did a great job on. "...and the area is down right beautiful.
I remember you now - and I was thinking "nice Toys". That campsite was sweet. I am always holding my breath that it will be open when I go there. Did you guys hike Sheep Canyon?

Glad things worked out with Josh.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
That's a GREAT place. I love it up there. I was going to camp up there... but I don't think the tundra will make it!
I don't think the 07 Tundras could make it, but talking to the ranger she said she used to go up there with a F250. With excellent spotting and some slider kissing I got up without a problem. On the way down the only damage was a busted center cap from my brand new American racing teflon chambers as well as a nick on the rim, more than exceptable damage. A few others I saw weren't as lucky. We were held up on the way up because a older bronco was stuck, his rear diff was propped up on a rock with the back wheels spinning. He ended up blowing his rear diff. and lost his 4wd, and had to back down the whole way. The funny thing is these were the same guys hitting on my girlfriend and her friend while I was in town getting some supplies, my girlfriend told me they were being crass and wanted to take them for a ride. Karma is a bitch, although I don't wish carnage on anyone. Right before that a chevy busted his transmission pan and left a trail of fluid the whole way down the trail. The ranger said the only vehicles she sees consistently make it up and down coyote canyon are yotas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
freejake3 said:
I remember you now - and I was thinking "nice Toys". That campsite was sweet. I am always holding my breath that it will be open when I go there. Did you guys hike Sheep Canyon?

Glad things worked out with Josh.
We hike up sheeps canyon and pretty much have the same pictures as you do. I'm not in the desert that often, but I have definitely come to a new found love and respect for it. Looking forward to doing it again. We got some great yota footage climbing up the trails with the Tundra having only a fingers width at some points. The other amazing thing was, as we pulled over to air down at the beginning of the dirt road, we looked up to the hills to only see three big horn sheep looking down on us, probably wondering what the hell we were doing. Beautiful creatures. We felt very lucky to have seen them. Pulled over an older couple to show them and they said that in the 25 years they had been coming there, that this was the first time they had been able to see these rare animals.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice. I wished I could spot some of those elusive beasts. That trail is perfect for those that want to make it as hard/easy as they as looking for. Since I installed my Eaton Posi the ride up CC was much less work. Going down I challenged myself a bit more - although having another vehicle would take that up a notch.

Nice story about the Yahoo's in the fullsize. You really do create your own destiny in this world.

·
Registered
639 Posts
freejake3 said:
Jerry Schad's book "Afoot and Afield in SD County" has a good write-up on the hikes.
Thanks, I'll have to pick it up.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
thien said:
I don't think the 07 Tundras could make it, but talking to the ranger she said she used to go up there with a F250. With excellent spotting and some slider kissing I got up without a problem. On the way down the only damage was a busted center cap from my brand new American racing teflon chambers as well as a nick on the rim, more than exceptable damage. A few others I saw weren't as lucky. We were held up on the way up because a older bronco was stuck, his rear diff was propped up on a rock with the back wheels spinning. He ended up blowing his rear diff. and lost his 4wd, and had to back down the whole way. The funny thing is these were the same guys hitting on my girlfriend and her friend while I was in town getting some supplies, my girlfriend told me they were being crass and wanted to take them for a ride. Karma is a bitch, although I don't wish carnage on anyone. Right before that a chevy busted his transmission pan and left a trail of fluid the whole way down the trail. The ranger said the only vehicles she sees consistently make it up and down coyote canyon are yotas.
I wouldn't take my Tundra up there, but It would make it if I had a 4x4.

I've been up South Coyote Canyon Trail (Sheep Canyon) numerous times. Its pretty easy for a stock truck.

All it takes is a poor driver and a BUILT rig can get carnage on easy trails.
You should have yelled at those guys in the chevy for leaking fluid all over the damn place.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Great pics!! I still have yet to see any of them damned goats myself.....going on 15 years now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts