TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my shell off yesterday to put my over-the-rail bedliner back in, because i didn't want to scratch the bed up too bad. Today it is pouring outside, and the shell is leaking at the seal to the bedliner. Is there anything I can do to stop it from leaking other than cutting the rails of the bedliner off?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
373 Posts
nees1212 said:
I took my shell off yesterday to put my over-the-rail bedliner back in, because i didn't want to scratch the bed up too bad. Today it is pouring outside, and the shell is leaking at the seal to the bedliner. Is there anything I can do to stop it from leaking other than cutting the rails of the bedliner off?

For starters, take the bedliner back out. It will do more damage than not having one at all. After 3 months in my '03, the paint was abraded down to bare metal on all the high spots of the bed. I use a rubber mat, much better. If you're still determined to use a bedliner, get an under the rail liner. I'll bet there are a bunch here who would offer one up for free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Like bb609 said, the liner will damage the paint, mostly on the tops of the rails where the shell sits.
If your determined to use the liner put foam sealer between the liner and the shell rails (1-2" wide stickey on one side) , it'll help seal any openings. Replace the foam everytime you remove and replace the shell or about once a year. I did this on my 94 Toyota for 5 years and never had a leak.
Tim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
373 Posts
tbplus10 said:
Like bb609 said, the liner will damage the paint, mostly on the tops of the rails where the shell sits.
If your determined to use the liner put foam sealer between the liner and the shell rails (1-2" wide stickey on one side) , it'll help seal any openings. Replace the foam everytime you remove and replace the shell or about once a year. I did this on my 94 Toyota for 5 years and never had a leak.
Tim

My truck originally came with an over the rail liner. I ordered a cap through the dealer so they swapped the liner out for an under rail type. Just from sitting on the lot, I have nice pin stripes down each side of the bed rails where the old liner abraded it. I complained to the stealer and they gave me a bottle of touch up paint. Fawkers! I have plenty more to match them now anyways! lol!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I've had the liner in for almost 4 years now, so it has already worn away the paint on the bed rails and in the bed. I wanted to keep it over-the-rail to cover up the scratched rails that are exposed when the cap is on. I'll try the foam sealer that was mentioned. Ideally, I would like to get a spray-in over-the-rail bedliner, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
nees1212 said:
Ideally, I would like to get a spray-in over-the-rail bedliner, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.
That was going to be my best answer for ya...
 

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
throw away the plastic bed liner and get a Spray in bed liner, over the rail FOR GODS SAKE !!!!!! LOL
You will be very happy with it and it it permanent to the bed rail
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
98 Taco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top