TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok... so what size bottle is everyone using ?
And how long does it last ? (I'm not doing industrial shiat) ...
I have to go purchase mine... Like something that fits to a cart and is not too costly...
Who makes a reasonable priced cart ?

Lets see the scratch built carts...
: Dell could probably use the practice building one of these :

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I use a 55cuft. size bottle of CO2 mixed gas. Mixed is a CO2 / Argon mix that is more expensive but provides for a cleaner weld. How long a bottle lasts has too many factors involved to be able to estimate it for you, but a 55 will be Ok for a garage fabricator.

As for the cart, you make the best one. Buy a welder and your first project should be the cart. Get some 1" square tube and some casters and go to town with your new machine.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I use the same CO2 bottle that I use on the trail, 20#. No problems, just have to get the correct adapter for the regulators. Not sure on length since I use the tank for quite a bit of other stuff as well around the shop and house.

No need to buy a cart, make one. I made one from an old bed frame and some castors from Harbor Frieght.

·
Banned
966 Posts
choice of gas has many factors. CO2 will do just fine for mild steel work. CO2 is a MAG gas, not a MIG gas (co2 is not inert).

the choice of regulator should also match the type of gas being used. regulator internals are built differently for different types of gas. some flowmeters (like the victor hrf2400) can be used with different gases but you will need the appropriate adapter for the tank, etc.

how long does it last?? depends on the size of the mig nozzle and environment. typical indoor flow will be somewhere around 10-20 SCFH.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response all

I use a 55cuft. size bottle of CO2 mixed gas. Mixed is a CO2 / Argon mix that is more expensive but provides for a cleaner weld. How long a bottle lasts has too many factors involved to be able to estimate it for you, but a 55 will be Ok for a garage fabrication.

As for the cart, you make the best one. Buy a welder and your first project should be the cart. Get some 1" square tube and some casters and go to town with your new machine.
Yeah I want 75/25 right ?
Ha... you don't know if I can make anything... LOL
: Dell is thinking... should I by another welder :confused: :

I use the same CO2 bottle that I use on the trail, 20#. No problems, just have to get the correct adapter for the regulators. Not sure on length since I use the tank for quite a bit of other stuff as well around the shop and house.

No need to buy a cart, make one. I made one from an old bed frame and some castors from Harbor Frieght.
Yeah I have CO2 for the tires... Like to use the argon though

choice of gas has many factors. CO2 will do just fine for mild steel work. CO2 is a MAG gas, not a MIG gas (co2 is not inert).

the choice of regulator should also match the type of gas being used. regulator internals are built differently for different types of gas. some flowmeters (like the victor hrf2400) can be used with different gases but you will need the appropriate adapter for the tank, etc.

how long does it last?? depends on the size of the mig nozzle and environment. typical indoor flow will be somewhere around 10-20 SCFH.
Good to know if I ran short on the primary tank

My first multi quote... Just had to experience that... :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Yeah, 75/25 mix. Any welding store will have plenty of it as it is very common. On my MIG I run about 10-15 psi in the garage with no wind (which will blow the gas away) and I get pretty decent life out of a bottle. Call around and see who has better prices, here it ranges from $20. - $45. a bottle so its worth checking.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yeah, 75/25 mix. Any welding store will have plenty of it as it is very common. On my MIG I run about 10-15 psi in the garage with no wind (which will blow the gas away) and I get pretty decent life out of a bottle. Call around and see who has better prices, here it ranges from $20. - $45. a bottle so its worth checking.
PSI on the regulator is how much pressure the welding supplier puts in the bottle...and when it gets to ZERO the bottle is empty. You regulate the flow rate in LPM or CFH. :rolleyes:

Ok... so what size bottle is everyone using ?
And how long does it last ? (I'm not doing industrial shiat) ...
I have to go purchase mine... Like something that fits to a cart and is not too costly...
Who makes a reasonable priced cart ?

Lets see the scratch built carts...
: Dell could probably use the practice building one of these :
Your bottle will last according to the flow rate you set it at. :D

I have a small bottle for my Pro 135 that is 80 cu ft and it lasts about 4 hours of welding time. CO2/Argon mix

I have a large bottle for my MM 251 that is xxx cu ft and it lasts about 8 hours of welding time. CO2/Argon mix

I bought my bottles and the small one was like $150 and the large one was like $196. They cost $25 and $35 to fill.

My Pro 135 needed a cart and it was about $60. The MM 251 has a cart built in.

No need for anything other than CO2/Argon mix unless you are doing something special as almost all MIG welding machines come with a CO2/Argon regulator, but a CO2 only regulator you have to purchase separately.

:welder:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Wow, how could I have been so careless as to have referred to LPM as PSI. I am sure my ignorance has caused devastating confusion and now Dell is fearful to turn his welder on.:rolleyes:

Good thing you were around to set things straight.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, how could I have been so careless as to have referred to LPM as PSI. I am sure my ignorance has caused devastating confusion and now Dell is fearful to turn his welder on.:rolleyes:

Good thing you were around to set things straight.
er... nope... the only thing that scares me...
is my wallet is getting pinched...

So the welder shop wants $ 160. for a 55# tank and fill of 75/25... $ 23.00 to fill after that...

Is this as cheap as it gets ?..

Or are there cheaper tanks to be had...

Is this tank different then any other CO2 tank ?... Or is it just the fitting ?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
er... nope... the only thing that scares me...
is my wallet is getting pinched...

So the welder shop wants $ 160. for a 55# tank and fill of 75/25... $ 23.00 to fill after that...

Is this as cheap as it gets ?..

Or are there cheaper tanks to be had...

Is this tank different then any other CO2 tank ?... Or is it just the fitting ?
It doesn't get cheaper...it gets more expensive the more tools and toys you add. :D

:welder:

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^ no doubt...

Just laid out over 2K in tools and junk... and don't seem to have much to show for that...

Guess the $ 160. is peanuts...

I've been a bolt on biatch... for just way too long...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Get a ~60cuft bottle for general work.

75/25 Ar/Co2 for mild steel.

BUT

If you're ever thinking of Aluminum welding just get a tank of straight Argon. This will also work with steel just fine but with a wee bit less penetration.

And yes, some of the smaller MIG pushers will do non-critical AL work just FINE with a teflon liner and practice.

-Fear

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And yes, some of the smaller MIG pushers will do non-critical AL work just FINE with a teflon liner and practice.

-Fear
What's a teflon liner ? and how is that utilized ?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have a 55 cf bottle of C02/Argon mix. It lasts quite a while for garage fab work and is relatively easy to change out. Find out what flow rate works best for you and adjust accordingly.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update...

Well I got the 55 # cylinder and filled for a measely $ 125.00
Certification is good for 5 years right ?.. So that takes me into 2011... Plenty of time to suck up a shitload of deadly fumes... I think the set up will out live me by a long shot... LOL

So I think I got a good deal...

·
Registered
680 Posts
What's a teflon liner ? and how is that utilized ?
Almost every MIG comes with a cheapo spiral wound steel liner in the gun/hose assembly.

AL wire can't use this since AL is so soft and will tend to jam in such a liner as well as get tons of shavings inside.

Any good welding shop can get you a replacement plastic/teflon liner for your gun/hose assembly.

Mig welding AL is a whole different ball of wax though. There's a lot more to it than just the liner. I was figuring though if the original poster ever wanted to do AL, at least by getting straight Argon instead of the 75/25 mix he'd have one less thing to buy if he wanted to try it. I've got all sorts of gas mixture tanks rolling all over the place that are seldom used but most folks wouldn't want that...

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Almost every MIG comes with a cheapo spiral wound steel liner in the gun/hose assembly.

AL wire can't use this since AL is so soft and will tend to jam in such a liner as well as get tons of shavings inside.

Any good welding shop can get you a replacement plastic/teflon liner for your gun/hose assembly.

Mig welding AL is a whole different ball of wax though. There's a lot more to it than just the liner. I was figuring though if the original poster ever wanted to do AL, at least by getting straight Argon instead of the 75/25 mix he'd have one less thing to buy if he wanted to try it. I've got all sorts of gas mixture tanks rolling all over the place that are seldom used but most folks wouldn't want that...
OK... good to know...
Curious as to how difficult welding AL is with this method...
Might be less of a hassle if I just got a machine for that purpose...
Though I can't think of what I'd be welding on my junk utilizing AL... hmmm...

·
Banned
966 Posts
OK... good to know...
Curious as to how difficult welding AL is with this method...
Might be less of a hassle if I just got a machine for that purpose...
Though I can't think of what I'd be welding on my junk utilizing AL... hmmm...
AL + MIG = Spool Gun

·
Registered
680 Posts
Don't need a Spool Gun with a lot of the smaller pusher type Migs. The baby Lincolns work great. You've just got to minimize the bending of the hose and go with thicker wire.

But like I said, for non-critical jobs. If you're fabing up AL control arms or want really pretty stacked nickel welds on round and thin 6000 series tubing then you're looking at TIG without a question.

-Fear

1 - 20 of 49 Posts