TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hijack the only post I found searching for "shift kit".

I want a quicker, firmer shift. The ECT button seems to change the shift point enough for my liking, but the shift firmness seems to be the same. The firmness isn't bad under regular acceleration, but under hard acceleration it...well....sucks.

So far, I can't find a shift kit for this truck/transmission. A reply to the post I didn't want to hijack mentions a shift kit and describes it as a different valve body. Does anyone have any more info on shift kits for this truck?

Thanks.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Do a valvebody upgrade. IPT or Level ten are the only ones I know of, but that is what they do. A search for that will give you more answers.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The reply you read was probably talking about a valvebody upgrade. IPT or Level 10 I believe are the companies that specialize in it. They get you to ship the valvebody out of your truck then they rework it so the shifts are firmng and faster. I am sure it could lead to a little down time but you can pay for next day shipping to them and back to keep ther sent out/sent back time to a minimum. Everyone who has done it here on this forum have no bad things that I can remember from either company. Those #'s in your sig are interesting can you tell me about it?

Sam
Sam

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Hey I am still planning on doing a fan set up like yours. I have so much on my to do list and not enough time. Did the fans come with a sticker? You get about 100+ Hp from those,... lol.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah I definitely caught that. I would like that with my setup. Damn with as much as I spent on mine I might as well make up some fake #'s too.Using Seafoam= 200+hp and 150+tq. Going to get my seafoam now!

Sam

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well...ahem....well.

Just went to IPT and Levelten. Quite a bit more than just a shift kit, but I guess that's our only option. Now I just have to talk myself in to really "needing" one.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Yeah that is. I think IPT has it for like 500 or so. I still have to get mine done. It is recommended more for SCed trucks, but I'm sure it would do what you want it to do. As you said it is kind of the only option we have on our trucks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
DCabTaco said:
Wow I didn't even notice that. Hmm maybe NOS. He doesn't even mention a SC. I am interested too.
That's the first thing I noticed too... 325 HP's N/A? Is this dyno'd or seat of the pants? Would like to know this as well!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Mikevr007 said:
Hehehe...nah...just seeing if anyone actually reads those. I could just say it was seafoam....think anyone would "buy" it?
Dude... what an awesome idea... I'm putting something stupid like that in my sig now... haha... 400 HP w/ TRD sticker and ram-turbo-jet exhaust welds"

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just got the IPT upgrade done, btu don't have my SC installed yet- it feels nice as it is- firm shifts, but not too obnoxious.
John says they can do all kinds of differnet firmness types for these trucks, from mild (which he said will handle the SC fine) to a drag racing setup which will not be enjoyed on the street.
Mine was done somewhere in the middle, towards the light side- it feels good to me.

-Dave

PS- mine has 500hp... with the TRD sticker and rice-a-flow crack pipe ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ye ai got the VB upgrade for my s/c'd truck...you can also adjust the second linkage on your throtle body for even more firmness after the upgrade.

·
Registered
166 Posts
weasy,

How does that work? I thought the second cable was only to get the trans to kick down when you floor it?

If you can adjust some firmness through that, it would be a neat extra thing to play with.

-Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
saki302 said:
weasy,

How does that work? I thought the second cable was only to get the trans to kick down when you floor it?

If you can adjust some firmness through that, it would be a neat extra thing to play with.

-Dave
John at IPT also mentioned that it helps shifts in general. It just lets more fluid go through the tranny thus forcing it to shift faster. You wont notice all that much without the VB but with it i notice a bigger difference when adjusting it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Weasy,

So you tighten the cable to get an even firmer shift?

If that's the case, I'll try it tomorrow :)

I already have the IPT valve body mod. I just added some of the friction modifier John sent me- it seemed to soften the 'clunk' just a touch unde rlight throttle 1-2 shifts.. not that it bothered me much before.

-Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
saki302 said:
Weasy,

So you tighten the cable to get an even firmer shift?

If that's the case, I'll try it tomorrow :)

I already have the IPT valve body mod. I just added some of the friction modifier John sent me- it seemed to soften the 'clunk' just a touch unde rlight throttle 1-2 shifts.. not that it bothered me much before.

-Dave
Correct...try this, release the cable and drive around...not that the tranny will barley shift (dont do this at WOT)...then the tighter you go the firmer its going to be...so say you add even more power you can crank it up a bit (Like i did when i went from 7.5PSI to 9.5psi with WI andmore timing) I had to bring up the pressure a bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts