TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my BL on for about 3 years now, and within that time I have broken my shifter twice. Today was number 3. :xcrybaby: I had the extension piece put in when I put the BL on. My father in Law is the one doing the welding for me. He has worked as a :welder: for over 20 years, so I'm not questioning these welds. I guess my question is has anyone else had this problem or does he keep having brain farts while welding my shifter? Also I've been looking to get the LC Engineering short throw shifter. Does anyone have it and is it worth it because I will just have to extend it as well.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Critt50 said:
I have had my BL on for about 3 years now, and within that time I have broken my shifter twice. Today was number 3. :xcrybaby: I had the extension piece put in when I put the BL on. My father in Law is the one doing the welding for me. He has worked as a :welder: for over 20 years, so I'm not questioning these welds. I guess my question is has anyone else had this problem or does he keep having brain farts while welding my shifter? Also I've been looking to get the LC Engineering short throw shifter. Does anyone have it and is it worth it because I will just have to extend it as well.
I'm sure a few members have the short throws so if you don't get responses soon try another post with just 'short-throw shifter questions' and see if that gets more attention.

as for the welding. can you sleve the shifter with some pipe and weld it all together for more strength ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thaught about sleeving it this time. Wasn't sure how that would work. Guess I might try that.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Critt50 said:
I thaught about sleeving it this time. Wasn't sure how that would work. Guess I might try that.
I don't see why it wouldn't work. All you would be doing is reinforcing the thing, right? Just grind it nice and smooth after welding so it doesn't tear up the boot (if the break is even near there...) I would probably try some 1/4" wall pipe but then I like overkill ;) :welder:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why do you need a short throw shifter for in a truck :confused: :D If your slamming it down hard into second racing someone your going to break your shifter =P Otherwise the people that I have :welder: their shifters for on there body lifts have never had any problems to my knowledge. You could sleeve it and it might hold longer *shrug*

·
Registered
279 Posts
Critt50 said:
I have the short throw shifter. I don't have a BL but from the two I helped install I'd say the short throw would eliminate the need for extending or cutting anything with the shifter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
akshunj said:
I have the short throw shifter. I don't have a BL but from the two I helped install I'd say the short throw would eliminate the need for extending or cutting anything with the shifter.
Does it raise the shifter that much or something?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there, I have a Lce short throw, works well w my taco. I have a "00" reg cab, 2.7
w/ a 2" body. My stock shifter had no extn. but worked. BUT when I got the short-
throw, shifting got alot quiker, precise, & smoother. So I think it might work w/ your
3" body. Shorter throws mean you won't be hitting the sheet metal. happy holiday
nathan

·
Registered
279 Posts
cdarthvader said:
Does it raise the shifter that much or something?
It's not that it raises the shifter it will shorten the throw enough to where it won't hit the sheet metal. There's a LCE shifter for sale in the classifieds on this forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts