TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright all who have problems with the first to second shift after a 2" body lift...you know who you are.
I fixed the problem...I just totally fucking removed the rubber boot! Now the tranny shifts like that of a european sports car. Before removing the boot I separated it from the lower rubber sheet,(they were held in place by 4 large staples) the flat one with a hole for each shifter. There has been a resulting significant increase in NVH from the console, but it's bearable. The flat, rubber portal, still in place, provides necessary weatherproofing. No outside air enters the cabin through the portal, just noise.
Next I'm going to try and cut-to-fit some sort of rubber material (like from a heavy duty truck mudflap) to fit over the hole, thus deadening some more of the road noise.
I've never been happier with the shifting of this truck! I recently cancelled my order for URD's short throw shifter after three weeks on backorder. They were helpful enough to call me up and cancel the charges to my credit card, and I think I've accomplished the same thing by removing the boot that I would have with the $150 shifter kit.
Ghetto engineering at its finest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,793 Posts
i would still get the short throw.... it makes the difference and makes it so that you can put the boot on though somewhat modified ( 4x4 shifter.....) but thats just me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
Am I missing something? I have a 3" BL and no problems. I think I had to bend the shifter to the right and also bend the 4wd shifter to the left.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brandon said:
Am I missing something? I have a 3" BL and no problems. I think I had to bend the shifter to the right and also bend the 4wd shifter to the left.
Yeah, with a 3" BL you absolutely have to bend the shifter, or you'll be popping out of 2nd gear and 4wd all the time. How did you bend it? Remove it then use a torch or what?
Rich, I'm def still getting the shifter, eventually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,793 Posts
its a blast.... now if i only got off my ass and rebuilt my SAW's and put together the leaf packs i just picked up lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
spindleshanks said:
Yeah, with a 3" BL you absolutely have to bend the shifter, or you'll be popping out of 2nd gear and 4wd all the time. How did you bend it? Remove it then use a torch or what?
Rich, I'm def still getting the shifter, eventually.

I cut the shifter near the base and added in 3" of rod. Any bending I did was just with a BFH since I don't have a torch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
Sad thing is these are just all solutions to a shorter transmission life...and why I hate BL's. Bending, adding length, or any changes to the shifters fulcrum and leverage will prematurely wear on the syncros and gears...and the URD short throw is just more moving parts to aid in things going wrong and I seriously doubt it has the correct shift gate not to also add to the premature wear.

Even a properly engineered B&M short throw is not worth the money ($125 shipped is the best price I've found) for a potential .1 sec quarter mile reduction.
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/bandm_short_shifter/ and The Off Road article confirms what I've found on most every short shift kit I've driven, is that it ruins down shifting points...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, but I'm not attempting to shave time off of a quarter mile drag here, Layton. I'm merely attempting to find a comfortable shift configuration. Right now, it feels better than it did stock.
I know you're not a fan of BLs and though I knew the issue would arise, I didn't start this post to debate the pros and cons of body lifts. There are plenty of those posts on the national board. I personally feel that a body lift is inert, harmless to your vehicle. Off-roading in general, however, is harmful to a vehicle and will decrease the life of your transmission and all other components.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
bluetaco said:
Sad thing is these are just all solutions to a shorter transmission life...and why I hate BL's. Bending, adding length, or any changes to the shifters fulcrum and leverage will prematurely wear on the syncros and gears...and the URD short throw is just more moving parts to aid in things going wrong and I seriously doubt it has the correct shift gate not to also add to the premature wear.

Even a properly engineered B&M short throw is not worth the money ($125 shipped is the best price I've found) for a potential .1 sec quarter mile reduction.
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/bandm_short_shifter/ and The Off Road article confirms what I've found on most every short shift kit I've driven, is that it ruins down shifting points...
Unless you have the proven data that extending the shifter prematurely wears the syncros and gears I'm going to have to disagree. If anything it will make them last longer since the throw on the shifter will end up being longer and therefore shifting into gear will be slower.
A short shifter will likely wear down parts faster. I have one on my truck but it has nothing to do with 1/4 mile times. I have a twin stick and fitting 3 shifters into that space is tough. It fits easier if the throw on the shifter is shorter.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top