TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...No flaming please. I am still a newbie to the offroad world but am learning really really fast with the FL chaper. I have meet with them and done some nice wheeling.

Anyways,
We going up a steep hill on the trail and you need acceleration to reach the top do you shift it into 2nd while climbing the hill...I feel that I either over rev my engine or loose power shifting...Just a 4x4 beginer question.

If this does not make sense just let me know and I will try to ask in a different way.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
There is alot of variables that go into this... traction, engine power, gear ratio Vs tire size, Low Range/High Range, 4X/2X... and many others...

I would think if you need speed that you would be in second gear as you ascend the hill and then down shift as you run out of steam and approach the top of the climb...

I wouldn't up shift at the top of the hill as you would more then likely bog down as 2nd gear seems a little tall on these Tacoma...

But as a general rule... You usually start at the highest gear possible at the base of a climb and downshift as you go up to keep the rpms at a sufficient range... Now if you can't get a run at it... then you just have to do first all the way up... and hope that traction affords you smooth sailing... Over reving the motor will not help nor will spinning the tires... Over reving will cause the limiter to kick in and you will lose momentum and spinning tires (with wild abandon) simply eats rubber prematurely and does not assit in forward progress... Exceptions to this rule may be when mud or snow cover the trail and the tires need to spin a little to clean the tread (keyword here... a little... just enough to clear the tread)... Besides spinning tires eats up the trail and should be avoided whenever possible...

Hope that helps yer understanding...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is exactly what I was looking for. I think with me not regearing plays a major factor in not getting the emuph I need to reach the top of the hill....The specific hill that I am talking about...there is no way to get a "running" start. Ok...so lets say that I am at the near top of the incline and my rev meter is the highest it can go, should I
A. stop roll down and try again
B. shift and hope I make it
C (not an option) give up on the hill
D...(Your answer)

Ps.I have a 2000 tacoma V6 extended cab with 6in trailmaster and 33 trxus mt
4.10 gears...

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
If you need the accelleration, then definately shift to 2nd and try to hold second as long as possible in higher RPMs. I lose power at about 2k RPMs, so thats when I normally shift to 1st. But I shift fast so as to not lose momentum, however the Tacoma transmissions don't like 2nd to 1st shifts all the time, so if I miss first or take too long shifting, I'm done.

All in all, shifting on steep hills is tough and takes some practice. Its all about timing, shifting at the right RPMs and not losing all your momentum.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Don't stop and roll down... If you don't make the climb... get that sucker in reverse gear immediatly and use the engine load to help you back down... Free wheelin' back wards down a hill is not a good thing... Don't allow the brakes to lock up or you could be sideways on the hill... Which is not a good thing... BTW...

Are you doing this climb in 4Low/4X... Locked in the rear ?

Oh and always try again... That's the fun/challenge of it... Try turning yer tires left to right a little to gain some extra traction as you reach the top and start losing traction... (might make the difference ;) )

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good advice on reverse method to get down...I am in 4low and the hill is not that high just really steep. I dont have lockers now but plan on getting them for xmas...(Lockright for the rear)
Keep it coming guys!!!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Well, if you're in 4LOW, there shouldn't be any problem starting in second, and with the power of the 3.4 getting up some speed at the bottom, then possibly downshifting to first to keep from stalling...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is ok to start in 2nd from a dead stop then down shift once you are on the hill and losing power down shift? I will see if i can get a pic or video of the type of hill that i am talking about.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is not my pic...just a pic that I found one the fourm...Anyways imagine that you could not have a running start for this hill...This is a steep hill that cant only be done in first gear...Ok
Hope this make sense...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I just need more practice...I can shift quick just seems to really loose power during the shift....Thanks :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Andrew, are you talking bout that one hill at that one place? I'd have to say that choosing the right line would be more beneficial than wheelspeed... it took me about 4 tries to get up it.

video

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW...if that is the hill it does seem lots steep while wheeling... I seem to be flooring it just to make it up...It did take me about four tries...I guess I need to learn to take better lines...this is where a good spotter comes to play with a newbie like myself..

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh ya...the more i watch the video the more I think it is the hill...I went more right due to the fact I was scared of hitting the tree on the left...even though that was the better line to take!
Thanks mike!!!

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Power ain't gonna help much unless you can get it to the ground. Lockers then gears then power. For getting up hills, I found that lockers made all the difference. Especially the one in the rear as the front doesn't do a whole lot except steer going up a hill.

Of couse I built mine top down so did the SC first but I do almost everything backwards anyway. LOL

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I hear that, I built mine backwards as well. I think back to the days in the mines when my uncles had these big block chevy trucks and basically used pure torque to conquer these tailings piles. Usually they were loose piles/small mountains of gravel that didn't afford much traction and speed was your only friend. Man that was fun to ride along with them feeling those big blocks rumble and scream under your ass wondering if your were going to launch yourself over the top and end up on your lid. Makes my S/C V6 look like a Pinto.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts