TTORA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently replaced my stock 3-leaf set with a 4-leaf one, but I still have the leftward lean. The new set did lift the back about 1inch. They came with some ~2.5 degree shims. Right now I don't have the 40 mph shaking from the rear differential/axle without the shims under the leaf packs....I assume because the lift is not very much. So, my question is whether it would be bad to install just one shim under the left leaf pack to try and correct the left lean. Even though the lift would be small, would this cause any damage to have difference between the two sides?

flamers...I did search but with no luck

96 reg cab 4x4

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
a degree shim on one side and nothing on the other? that sounds like a bad idea to me. it would be binding the springs constantly. what leafs did you get? are they driver/passanger side specific?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think they are side specific...at least I saw no designation between the two when I received them. I purchased the leafs from JcWhitney.com.....so probably a generic brand but so far they seem fine to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Besides a shim, does anyone know of a better way to raise the left back end....the front does not measure the same left lean as the rear. What about a single small block or spacer?

·
Registered
42 Posts
How do U like the leafs I was thinking of getting some this summer was the l inch of lift noticeable?

·
Registered
854 Posts
I would have pointed you out to the OME Dakar leafs if you're that adament about have your left and right side perfectly level. The OME Dakars are driver's and passenger's side specific to compensate for the "taco lean" having the driver's side spring arched nearly an inch higher than the passenger side for this very issue. If the leaf springs you purchased were not driver's/passenger side specific, then you will be dealing with the "taco lean." It's due to the disproportionate amount of weight on the left side of the truck (battery, gas tank, and driver).

Stay away from a block as well. A block will only fatigue the spring quicker. The only thing I can suggest for the springs you have to combat this problem is to have the driver's side spring re-arched, but that is only a temporary fix.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
97yoda, the lift appeared considerable. But with the camper shell it's just right. At the time the leafs came as a 3 or 4 pack option. If had to buy them again and did not have the extra weight of a camper shell, then I would get the 3-leaf set.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I busted most of the leafs on one side of my taco, and one leaf in the other. I had a serious lean and never got new leafs for like 4 months. New leafs made her straight and level.

Are you positive both leafs are 100% exactly the same? Not for the life of me can I see how with new leafs you have a lean if the leafs are equal. Unless you rolled your truck and bent the frame without noticing. lol.

Axle / Leaf / Hanger / Frame. Now if you have a serious lean then it can only be one of those parts. Take it to a Parking lot and take some measurements.

I have an extra leaf in my springs and I dont need shims. The extra leaf really only increces your towing/weight capacities. I'm not sure from what you posted regarding a camper on it?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
when i got my deavers from wheelers 1 of them had a sticker for the driver side so im assuming they are a little stiffer then the other to counter the weight on that side of the truck

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yea, most lifts for the tacos come with one spring that is a bit higher for the drivers side because of the gas tank/driver etc. My buddies taco has Alcan springs in the rear and it came that way and never settled so his leans the wrong way. :rolleyes:

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Install front adjustable CO's and pre-load the drivers side a tad more...

Mount yer Highlift to the passenger side of the bed (or load the bed with extra weight to the passenger side) and it can help distribute the balance...

Move yer battery out of the engine bay and into the bed... That will reduce a little weight on the drivers side...

Stop admiring yer truck so much and you won't see it leaning... LOL

·
Registered
892 Posts
Ahhh the Tacoma lean....been there done that.

Are you absolutely certain its the leafs? I'd rotate the leaf pak side to side and see if the *lean* changes to the other side.

Are you sure you don't have something wrong in the front?

On the stock tacomas (atleast on my 96 and most other older gens), the coil springs on the front drivers side are longer than the passenger side. So unless you find a front lift that compensates for the front drivers side lean (gas tank, etc) - then that front corner will sit LOW while countering your rear passenger side UP.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone....the front does not seem to be the problem. I've taken several measurements from symmetrical points in the front and all seems fine. I have the stock springs up front. I'll switch the rear springs around.....maybe they did have some designation on them when new that I didn't see, or they were just not labeled. If that doesn't fix the problem then I'll just have to tilt my head when I look at the truck....:)

·
Registered
757 Posts
How much lower is it on the drivers side? You could run a solid block but I'd keep it at small as possible, like 3/4" Any additional lift required beyond that you should yank the block and add 1 more mild leaf instead.
I had the same problem a couple years ago, I swapped the springs and it fixed it, you could get lucky.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Didn't read all this so sorry if someones already mentioned it- but your rig doesn't lean because one side is shorter than the other. It leans because one side is heavier. Fix the suspension accordingly; i.e. blocks on one side will make it look pretty, but won't make it work better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I installed the hellcreek suspension leafs on the wrong sides. I couldn't figure out why there was so much lean. A couple of months past and the plastic which held the shipping documents came off and I noticed the springs had different markings. One had an L the other an R. :doh: They looked the same, but one must be heavier duty or something because once I switched them it leveled out pretty good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alright...so I switched the leafs around and no significant change. I've rechecked the front and there is a small difference of 1/4 to 3/8in between top of wheel well to ground measurements of the driver and passenger sides. the difference is noticeably small in the front but when I lean on the front passenger side a little the back drivers side counters upward by that much or more. so, I think I need to get the front right before trying to mess with blocking the back. Has anyone used an additional rubber or metal spacer at the top of the coil pack? I don't think I would even need new top bolts for this size spacer. or..If I could find a relatively new drivers ome coil...would that return the height? I'd really rather not buy adjustable coils at this point. Any suggestions?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts