TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyone ever done something of the sort? I'm looking to buy a cab from a 01-04 ext cab tacoma, grill to back window. Shipping is going to probably cost a ton, but it wont have 10 years of salt from the NE. I'm expecting to pay around a grand, or so. Hopefully less of course. Best I found was uship .com, I put in the info (did earlier today) and made a 10 day auction for price offers. I figure it'd probably have to be put on a specially sized pallet for it.

Anyone have any pointers for this task or just general info/experience on something similar?

Thanks, Kyle.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
So anyone ever done something of the sort? I'm looking to buy a cab from a 01-04 ext cab tacoma, grill to back window. Shipping is going to probably cost a ton, but it wont have 10 years of salt from the NE. I'm expecting to pay around a grand, or so. Hopefully less of course. Best I found was uship .com, I put in the info (did earlier today) and made a 10 day auction for price offers. I figure it'd probably have to be put on a specially sized pallet for it.

Anyone have any pointers for this task or just general info/experience on something similar?

Thanks, Kyle.
gonna have to go on a flatbed or flatbed trailer...no pallet will work.
If not too far away try finding someone local with an auto transport trailer...with a flat bed, not the U-haul type who can help.

I know Dale did this for his cab swap a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
If it's going any sort of long distance, rail freight would probably be cheaper.

gonna have to go on a flatbed or flatbed trailer...no pallet will work.
If not too far away try finding someone local with an auto transport trailer...with a flat bed, not the U-haul type who can help.

I know Dale did this for his cab swap a few years ago.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Have you looked at PODS? They'll drop off a small shipping container, you load it, and they deliver it. Not sure about the rates. www.pods.com went out of its way to avoid giving my a rough quote.

For the pallet, you could chop up some 2x4s and brace it where needed. Build off an existing pallet etc.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hytenor by pallet I mean, a 5x8' 2x4 or something base, so not a normal pallet.

Dick is there any special way to go about railway? DIdn't know you could do such a thing, my only worry is trying to rely on the seller too heavily. He said no problem on helping a shipper load, which I am grateful for.

mattsonmj I will try a quote from PODS. I read about them a few days ago, but then somehow got a little confused on it being hauld via private party. I probably skimmed it and read it wrong. Bad habit of that. EDIT: Yeah PODS doesnt do one or both of the zip codes. Lame. It referenced some other company with 8x6x7' cubes. For two was about 1900 bucks. Didnt have a one cube option, probably 1000-1100.

MooseBit the few Tacoma's I see here, the bodies typically seem fine. So thats the impression I got. I am still concerned though. I have aline on one in AZ for a 01-04. It's the same color as my truck and bumper to back window including interior; which would be nice because my seats worn out, door panels are changing color and I have a huge chocolate stain on the carpet that annoys the hell out of me. He's doing a double cab swap, so offered me the whole deal.

But tentatively, uship'ers gave me two quotes. One in-trailor for about 870 and on a flat bed for about 650 which I thought was pretty good. I was expecting about 1k. The seller is still doing the swap and has the cab off, taking longer than he anticipated so I will probably miss those two quotes.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Im curious as to what you were finding for prices on cabs in salvage yards if you looked? Also do the 5-lug "mini" taco's have the same cab as a 6 lug?

As far as shipping, they are right in that you'll need a "custom" pallet to move it around. Have you looked in to a broker, they bid the price out to a "sea" of drivers? We will use CH Robinson from time to time for work and they have worked out great. They will give options for truck or rail based. The only scary part about it going by rail is that it means the shipment gets loaded and unloaded an extra time which is where the biggest risk of damage is.... If your work is generous Id ask if they can ship it under their name. Depending on what you do it will be significantly cheaper based on their freight rates.

I also have used the Online shipping brokers to bid against one another. Although not something I would recommend using for repeated shipping, I did end up going with Freight center.com that time, and it worked out well enough as some will give you a certain percentage off for your first shipment...

G/L let us know what you do!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He has the cab off, but the swap is still in progress. Fine with me, moving this weekend and overlapping rent is consuming the cost of shipping...ugh. But it's also tax return time, and it just about pays for the cab and shipping. So thats a plus.

But on uship I got quotes from ~650 to 1600. THanks for throwing that other one in, I will check that out too. I figure I will probably be hiring a flatbed, for ease of loading.

I did think about using my work. A bud of mine from college worked at a nat-gas plant in OR as an intern, they let him ship a LS1+tranny there. Used my truck/trailer to haul it off. I work at a nuke plant now. Security, safety and legal compliance is a freakin joke. Not going to happen.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Is your cab really that bad?

I almost can't imagine the whole cab of a truck being in that much worse of condition than the rest of the vehicle to merit swapping it over instead of buying another truck. Wouldn't it just be easier to replace or repair the pieces on your existing one that are messed up? I guess this assumes you don't have giant ridiculous smashed in dents that are beyond repair all over the cab.

You didn't blow someone's head off inside your cab and are trying to keep the truck while hiding the DNA evidence, did you? LOL

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol no. The cab isn't bad. Just a dented up roof front being upside down. The dents were pushed out with a bottle jack. I just want a straight cab again. If I cant, may just have to do something else a little more fun to it. I paid him last week, waiting on shipping quotes now, for a legitimate ship.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts