TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a U-bolt flip along with the Deaver 8s. I used APs "long" lower shock mounts and had the welding done at a shop I have used extensively. I wanted to be able to use Bilstien 5100s and this required relocating the stock upper shock mount back about an inch ("boxed" frame at this point to allow relocation) and the D side leaf is able to fully compress to stock bump stop (the factory rubber piece is welded to the plate on top of the leaf pack) with the 5100. The P side, however, would only compess to the point where there is about 3/4" before the rubber hits the contact point on the frame. Ideally the P side stock upper would have been relocated like the D side, but the guy I was having do all this said it would be OK; that the 5100 have internal bump stops. Well several (dozens) full comps on the P side now and the shock is toast (entire force of compression on the shock and the stock upper mount has bent up a bit). Two questions I need help with are: 1) Is it Ok to compress Deaver 8s to slightly neg arch as D side set up allows? 2) Should I just raise the P side bump stop so that it takes the load before the shock or go ahead and try and find someone to help relocate the upper shock mount? (No longer live in Tucson where work was done) I very much notice the extra travel and hang wheels much less now. On the + side it is set up so that full droop does not pull the shocks on either side.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
putting your springs into a negative arch is never a good thing. best to avoid it if possible.

Same thing with bottoming out your shocks, it can actually cause more damage to the shock to bottom it out than it does to over extend them (or so I have been told)

I had a little bit of a hard time following what you were saying about where you relocated your shocks. But if you have a problem, I would think it is obvious that you need to fix it.

So with your shocks as they are now, is the drivers side behind the axle and the passenger still in front of the axle?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, the D side still mounts behind the axle; with the adjusted set up it attatches to the AP tabs which are welded to the axle and the top mount looks stock, but is actuall moved towards the rear about an inch. This puts the shock at about 45*.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
SADGOAT
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing