TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do a shock relocate on my truck after doing a spring rebuild, and plan on getting new shocks. It seems that the standard procedure for measuring shock size is to finish the lift, flex out the suspension and measure for shock length, which I plan on doing. Total lift should be in the 3" range, but I'm not sure exactly how much I'll gain from the relocate- I plan on runnin the shocks at about a 40* angle from vertical.

I've been looking a bit into which brand shocks people buy. It seems that a large number of people on this board like Bilstein shocks of various varieties in the 5000 series. Is there a particular reason for this? I figure they must be pretty good shocks.

I was in 4 Wheel Parts in Albuquerque the other day and saw some Pro-Comps with adjustable valving (MX-6), which seems like an attractive option; I've noticed that the RS9000x has this as well. What are people's opinions of these shocks? Are there other brands I should be considering?

I'm looking at under $200 for the back pair if possible, as I want to do this right the first time. I'd like to spend less if possible. Is the extra money for a nicer shock worth the extra $$? How different is the ride? So far my various options seem to be (prices approximate):
* 5125s, $150/pr
* 5150s, $200/pr
* Pro-Comp MX6, $180/pr
* Pro-Comp ES9000, $80/pr
* Rancho RSX, $110/pr
* Rancho RS5000, $85/pr
* Rancho RS9000, $180/pr

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
5125's are outstanding and ride great.

I know Bilstein's are a very reputable shock and thats why I chose them, and they've lived up to the hype.

I have opinion's on some of the others but thats all I have, opinions.

If they were worth the price tag more people here would run them.
The Pro Comp's are probably nice, but IMO they're overpriced. What has "Pro Comp" stamped on it that isnt overpriced? Whatever you do dont run any of their low end shocks. Please. You'll hate yourself.

The budget shock.
Ranchos are popular because they have been around a long timed and at one time were probably one of the best you could buy. That reputation has just stuck with them even IMO they are no longer deserving of it. Are they bad? No. They just arent what they used to be, just as good as they always have been but not up to par with updated stuff, new stuff, etc. IMO they haven't kept up with the market trends and technology in many, if any, aspects.

Sorry no witty title here.
I will eventually give Edelbrock's shocks a shot. I cant recall the name of their specific line, "Inertia", maybe? From what Ive heard and read about those they're pretty nice. Think they may be proud of them though IIRC ($$$).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GOT COPE? said:
5125's are outstanding and ride great.
Not to make a decision just based on one reply, but it seems like the Bilseins are the way to go.

I guess the difference between the 5125s and 5150s is just the reservoir... Is the sole purpose of reservoirs heat dissipation? Is there any other reason to have one?

·
Registered
587 Posts
leecbaker said:
Not to make a decision just based on one reply, but it seems like the Bilseins are the way to go.

I guess the difference between the 5125s and 5150s is just the reservoir... Is the sole purpose of reservoirs heat dissipation? Is there any other reason to have one?
Yeah, they also look cool ;)

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Currently my truck is a bit more modified than yours, but I have the Bilstein 5150's in the rear and 7100's up front. (solid axle)

Before swapping front ends though I ran a 3" lift. I first had procomps (non adjustable) and they rode terriable! I hated them. I can't imagine they improved that much by making a new model.

From there I had some used Rancho 9000s, the ones you mentioned. the adjustablilty was somewhat more novel than practicle but they were nice. When I remembered I would stiffen up the shocks when I was hauling heavy loads, but normally forgot until I got to where I was unloading. I would try to soften them up for trail use, until I figured out I should have been stiffing them up instead. I would suggest looking at the rancho 5ooo series as well. not adjustable but I have heard decent reviews on them.

In regards to figuring out the length you need, you are right you could just wait until you get the shock bar mounted. It is the easiest way. Just remember not to go too far off the verticle angle. I made that mistake which I am paying for in ride quality and load copacity currently.

Oh almost forgot. I also ran some KYB shocks before I got into TTORA. they were stiff and good for hauling, but the ride was stiff. They were also stock length so really not fair to throw them into the mix.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
leecbaker said:
the reservoir also allows for a greater volume of oil. but main purpose is to dissipate the heat generated by the friction within the shock body.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shock angles

Can anybody explain to me the benefits of having stocks mounted vertically (ie similar to stock) versus a kind of diagonal mount, like / \ ? I've seen people running both of these options, and it seems that the only difference would be the diagonal mount's decreased resistance to axle articulation, as well as the ability to run slightly longer shocks.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Angled- teh good, you can run longer shock w/o coming through the bed
-teh bad, the shocks wont dampen the ride as well

Vertical- teh good, best possible ride dampening
-teh bad, stuck with short travel shock, or you must come through the bed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got a question about the bilsteins...

They are gas filled, IIRC. So they exert some lift to the suspension.

My truck is already a little too stiff (Rancho 5000s) and a little too high (44044s and Chevys).

So, should I avoid a gas filled shock?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
Smiling_Jim
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing