TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have this done to their rig? I found it off of Customtacos.com

the top and bottom mounts are relocated. making it look like an 'A' and the shock resevoirs are mounted above the shocks. the shocks are bilstein 7100s.

the setup is really solid and stable tacoboy99 tells me





 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
the early Yota's use this setup as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Is there really much of a benifit to using the /\ setup as apposed to the | | ? I have read mixed opinions on both. yeah It looks "cool" because its outa the norm.... but is there a real reason?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,071 Posts
WickedOne said:
Is there really much of a benifit to using the /\ setup as apposed to the | | ? I have read mixed opinions on both. yeah It looks "cool" because its outa the norm.... but is there a real reason?
One of the main benefits is the ability to run a longer shock for more travel..Mounted in the "A" position the shock does not travel as far in relation to the wheels travel as it does in a straight up position..That modification is not done for looks, well maybe for some, but that's not it's purpose
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Does this mod mean that I loose my spare tire. I always see pictures without the spare tire up under the vehicle. Again, is this because it won't fit anymore.... or is it taken out just to get a better picture??
 

·
Smoked Out!
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
The Dude Abides said:
Does this mod mean that I loose my spare tire. I always see pictures without the spare tire up under the vehicle. Again, is this because it won't fit anymore.... or is it taken out just to get a better picture??
It depends on how it is done. Here is an example of max travel with the shock angled back instead of like a / \. According to them a 33" tire still fits under there.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6189

Chris from trdparts4u also has a / \ and said he has his 35 under there as well.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
WickedOne said:
Is there really much of a benifit to using the /\ setup as apposed to the | | ? I have read mixed opinions on both. yeah It looks "cool" because its outa the norm.... but is there a real reason?
Yes, but only if you have very flexy springs the the shocks have become the limiting factor either for droop of stuff or both.
 

·
Cracker
Joined
·
5,648 Posts
DCabTaco said:
It depends on how it is done. Here is an example of max travel with the shock angled back instead of like a / \. According to them a 33" tire still fits under there.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6189

Chris from trdparts4u also has a / \ and said he has his 35 under there as well.
That is correct. The spare is removed in this picture, but my 35" fits fine with the support arms removed.
 

·
Long lost Taco Owner
Joined
·
820 Posts
valkyrie said:
That is correct. The spare is removed in this picture, but my 35" fits fine with the support arms removed.
Do you have any more pictures? Also are they 12 or 14 inch travel shocks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
This has been done for years, and Ive run it. I no longer run it, and will be redoing the rig that ran it. It stinks. Getting 10" vertical travel at the bumpstops I was using about 5-6" of shaft. Useless for shock dampening, and stability. Youd be FAR better off running the shocks vertical, kicked back or forward, but not with the tops so close together.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top