TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to modify the rear P-side shock mounts to behind the axle (like D-side) so as to be able to get full travel out of the rear suspension (see sig below). Right now the P-side shock bottoms out before the bumpstop. While I recognize Toyota likely put shocks on opposite sides for a reason, is there any reason having both to the back would cause problems? I am not going with the / \ set up as I want to be able to keep my spare below. On the D-side I had a piece of 1/4" plate welded to box that area of the frame and relocated the stock upper mount back about an inch and down a little too; the lower shock mounts are All-Pro "long." Basically want to mirror this set-up on the P-side. Thoughts....

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
SADGOAT said:
I am planning to modify the rear P-side shock mounts to behind the axle (like D-side) so as to be able to get full travel out of the rear suspension (see sig below). Right now the P-side shock bottoms out before the bumpstop. While I recognize Toyota likely put shocks on opposite sides for a reason, is there any reason having both to the back would cause problems? I am not going with the / \ set up as I want to be able to keep my spare below. On the D-side I had a piece of 1/4" plate welded to box that area of the frame and relocated the stock upper mount back about an inch and down a little too; the lower shock mounts are All-Pro "long." Basically want to mirror this set-up on the P-side. Thoughts....
Just FYI.

I was able to do the / \ setup and keep my 32" spare in the stock location. In fact, my mounts are behind the axle (not on top) bringing them even closer to the spare.

Good luck with your project!

~Miguel

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be getting 33s in the future..... And the set up I am going for has the same shock angle as / \, so my thinking is that it is equivalent. Also, as the D-side is in place and working well, I would rather just work on the P-side and be done.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
a 33" spare is going to sit really close to your exhaust pipe.....

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are right about the exhaust. As I have the TRD cat-back I will be able to unbolt the over-the-axle potion at the back of the muffler then replace with a simple turn down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
SADGOAT
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing