TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try to give this truck,(2000,2.7L,5 sp. 265/75/15, non-TRD, stock), a better on-road ride. I hear that the stock shocks aren't that good and don't last too long. I now have 45k miles. Any advice for what to swap to? Price?. Thanks.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have a 1998, 2.7L, 5 Spd, 2.5 Cornfed Spacers, 2 inch body lift, 33x12.50 Thornbirds. I Replaced my front struts with Rancho RS5000's and in the rear i put SKYJACKER Hydro 7000's. Its not a bad ride, althought the Thornbirds dont help too much. I'd go with Ranchos, IMO

·
Banned
68 Posts
I have the Corfed 2.5" spacers and pro Comp rear AAL. I have Rancho 5000 all way around..DONT GET RANCHO..unless you wanna feel like a bobble head..Get something little less HD. Everyone says buy Bilstein 5100..but if u want cheaper and soft ride get the Pro Comp ES1000 or 3000.
I am not making same Mistake on my new 05 using Ranchos.
Also to the guy with thornbirds...How do you get them huge things to fit...i mean those are bigger then most 12.50 cause them HUGE lugs on them. Do you rub at all. Do they ride well i heard they suck on road and dont do very good in any condition

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
agroal said:
I want to try to give this truck,(2000,2.7L,5 sp. 265/75/15, non-TRD, stock), a better on-road ride. I hear that the stock shocks aren't that good and don't last too long. I now have 45k miles. Any advice for what to swap to? Price?. Thanks.
Bilsteing HD's are great stock replacement shocks. Check out this thread. Post #2 has the part numbers.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
best bet would be to swap in some adjustable coilovers up front and some bilstein 5100's in the back...the HD's will just make the ride stiffer

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
agroal said:
are you looking to lift it or just firm up the ride/handling?

·
Registered
670 Posts
05yota4x4 said:
I have the Corfed 2.5" spacers and pro Comp rear AAL. I have Rancho 5000 all way around..DONT GET RANCHO..unless you wanna feel like a bobble head..Get something little less HD. Everyone says buy Bilstein 5100..but if u want cheaper and soft ride get the Pro Comp ES1000 or 3000.
I am not making same Mistake on my new 05 using Ranchos.
Also to the guy with thornbirds...How do you get them huge things to fit...i mean those are bigger then most 12.50 cause them HUGE lugs on them. Do you rub at all. Do they ride well i heard they suck on road and dont do very good in any condition
I dont mind my ride with the Ranchos, sure my ride is a lot stiffer-A. Because I have a lift, B-because of my tires. I dunno how the shock setup is on the 05's
The wheels that i have my thornbirds on have a 3.75 backspacing and it clears by about an inch and a half from my upper control arm. The tires measure almost 14 inches wide nub to nub. Yes,The very outside nubs rub when I go more than 1 1/4 turn, once you get upto about 30 MPH the ride smooths out, most of the ride depends on how much air you have-I ran 30(max psi) for a while and then aired down to about 22 and it seemed a little better.IMO my Thornbirds are freaking awesome in mud:D . Although they arent that great out when pavement is wet, you can fishtail easily, All you have to do is get used to the noise they make, all in all i like them, im gonna miss them when there gone in a few days :( :xcrybaby:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts