TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I just got done installing new All Pro 5" lift rear springs on the back of my truck. I need new shocks, and would like to figure out what shocks I need prior to ordering them.

Based on searching this topic, I have come up with a few different ways to measure the shock length needed, but am a bit lost at the valving needed.

FYI... ways to determine shock length:
Baja Taco's
SAW's

So can anyone help fill me in on selecting what valving I need, or the differences in valving?

For example I think I have my shocks narrowed down to these two Bill's:
  • BF5-A196-H0: 10.02" Travel, Valving: 170/60, Ext Length: 25.91, Col Length: 15.89
  • BF5-A196-H1: 10.02" Travel, Valving: 255/70, Ext Length:25.91, Col Length: 15.89

Terry at AllPro told me "255/70 valving, and to get 10" travel if its sitting at 3", and that I want about 5" of shaft showing." I am going to measure to be sure though. But still do not understand the valving.

Is the 170/60 a softer shock compared to the 255/70?

I plan on having a lot of weight on the rear when on the trails (rear swing out bumper, Roof top tent, water and fuel, and camping gear...)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Each shock company has different numbers to express the valving. SAW's are 8, 10, 12, 15 which is the thickness of the shims in the stack.

I would call Donahoe and see if they can bump the compression valving to what you need. Just tell them what your carrying and they can recommend a valving for you.

The Bilstein's are a good shock and I think they 10" will work fine for you. I would run the 255/70 with all the weight you’re going to be carrying.

FYI the 255 is the compression valving and the 70 is the rebound.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Each shock company has different numbers to express the valving. SAW's are 8, 10, 12, 15 which is the thickness of the shims in the stack.

I would call Donahoe and see if they can bump the compression valving to what you need. Just tell them what your carrying and they can recommend a valving for you.

The Bilstein's are a good shock and I think they 10" will work fine for you. I would run the 255/70 with all the weight you’re going to be carrying.

FYI the 255 is the compression valving and the 70 is the rebound.
Thanks amigo... nice to finially see you in your truck the other day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts