TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so would 275/78 valving on a bilstein 7100 be too stiff for the front of a leaf sprung v6 taco? figured you guys with alittle more shock experience would know. I figure they would be pretty stiff.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
01blkext said:
ok so would 275/78 valving on a bilstein 7100 be too stiff for the front of a leaf sprung v6 taco? figured you guys with alittle more shock experience would know. I figure they would be pretty stiff.
that seems too stiff,
IMO

next ;)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Thats the valving Bilstein recommended for the rear of mine...

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Wes said:
Thats the valving Bilstein recommended for the rear of mine...
the guy must have been on drugs, LOL even the 255s aren't recommended by Camburg. i've been using these 170s for several years and they are perfect.

·
Registered
515 Posts
hytenor said:
the guy must have been on drugs, LOL even the 255s aren't recommended by Camburg. i've been using these 170s for several years and they are perfect.
How do you know they are perfect? have you tried other valving?

-David

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
If I remember right, I believe I ordered my 7100's (same application you are using) at 255/70. But I ordered them right after they came out which was approx. 4 years ago. so the memory might be a bit hazy.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Bear said:
If I remember right, I believe I ordered my 7100's (same application you are using) at 255/70. But I ordered them right after they came out which was approx. 4 years ago. so the memory might be a bit hazy.
Thats what the 7100's behind mine are at- but they came off 01Tundra's truck, I think the rear? May be wrong though.

Davidtaco said:

-David
Seriously. Shock isn't stand alone. Weight (as in front to back) is largely going to be handled by the springs supporting the weight. Valving is as much frequency as force. As I understand it, that is.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Davidtaco said:

-David
yup. the heavier valved shocks (I had KYBs that were in the same range as the 5100s with their 255/70 valving) and they were way too stiff. I took Camburg's suggestion to use the ligher 170/60 5150s rather than the 255s and the difference was night and day. hell, my truck rode better than my wife's RAV4, LOL

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
hytenor said:
yup. the heavier valved shocks (I had KYBs that were in the same range as the 5100s with their 255/70 valving) and they were way too stiff. I took Camburg's suggestion to use the ligher 170/60 5150s rather than the 255s and the difference was night and day. hell, my truck rode better than my wife's RAV4, LOL

Yeah, I got my 5150's @ 255/70's all the way around now. From day 1, I said the rear was too stiff. I've had the fronts on for a week now, I'm thinking they're too stiff also. I'm just not convinced I need to change them out. I want to see how they are on the trails and with more steel added to the truck. The rear rides great with stuff in the bed, empty is not so great. I think a winch and bumper up front should help too. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
What rear springs you running, Hytenor? Would you consider them stiff, or soft?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Wes said:
What rear springs you running, Hytenor? Would you consider them stiff, or soft?
springs are NWOR Hds (at least until tonite ;)) and they are quite a bit stiffer than most other aftermarkets. My point is that I got them along with the very stiff KYB shocks and the ride was bone-jarring until I got the new front coils/shocks on that day...and I do mean teeth-rattling! I'd though I'd made a huge mistake.
Once we got the front on things evened out and the ride was stiff but fine for a truck. (as it turned out, that model of kyb was in the same valving range as the 5100s at the time so around 255/70 or stiffer)

I swapped out the front KYBs and NWOR pr coils for OME 882s/N91s and the ride improved a lot.
But...when I switched to rear 5150s with the recommened 170/60 valving from Camburg the difference was night and day. Even my wife noticed the smooth ride ;) I couldn't believe that much difference with just a rear shock swap, sheesh.
swapping out the OMEs with Tundra-valved SAWs made no real difference in ride but handling improved. (I kept them cranked down to less than a 2.5" lift)

When I got the softer 170s I did have a concern that they would be too soft when I was fully loaded with firewood. This turned out not to be an issue at all. Ride and handling was great as long as I aired up the tires ;)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Well, I would agree that with a stiff spring you would need less "force", but I don't see how you would really feel, in general, the difference in 250 vs. 170 rebound with that stiff spring, much less 70 vs. 60 compression.
Your experience is what it is though.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Wes said:
Well, I would agree that with a stiff spring you would need less "force", but I don't see how you would really feel, in general, the difference in 250 vs. 170 rebound with that stiff spring, much less 70 vs. 60 compression.
I doubt I'd be able to tell a difference in slow rebound either. It's all the little bumps that the lighter shocks soak up making for a much much smoother ride.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Wes said:
I agree with this....
plus shocks on the rear are more towards the center of the axle, not out on the ends like the front... thus it'll travel less being more towards the center of the axle, so the ride goes more through your springs than your shocks

-David

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Davidtaco said:
I agree with this....
plus shocks on the rear are more towards the center of the axle, not out on the ends like the front... thus it'll travel less being more towards the center of the axle, so the ride goes more through your springs than your shocks

-David
right, when you do the / \ rear shock mod you must go to a heavier valving to compensate for the loss of dampening. my shocks are still in their OE configuration. There's a chart somewhere that gives the % of needed valving change for the degree of slant of the shocks from OE position.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The worst part of my ride right now is suckass shackle angle. They are too uppity and as a consequence, the shocks don't get to work much since its mostly those chevy's grunting and the shackle doesn't do shit right now unless I really stick a tire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
Wes
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing