TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know when a good time to replace shocks are? i want to replace my bilstiens that came with the taco, but i want to get new shocks.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
If they are no longer working properly.

Jounce the suspension and it should return to ride height without bouncing. Also check your chassis height and ensure that it is to spec. If you need the specs, I can get them for you.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
NorCal4life21 said:
does anyone know when a good time to replace shocks are? i want to replace my bilstiens that came with the taco, but i want to get new shocks.
A) 10:00, or 2:00
B) Whenever you want, or whenever they're blown.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
synovus said:
A) 10:00, or 2:00
B) Whenever you want, or whenever they're blown.
lol. beat me to it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
One thing to remember when replacing shocks: do NOT torch them off. Someone I know did that because he couldn't wrestle them off the mounts and one exploded right in front of him. He was a mess but luckily he can still see. The shochs are charged with oil and gas and can't be cut or torched.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
NorCal4life21 said:
Rear shocks are a piece of cake to replace. Four 17mm bolts all together. Remove them. slip the new shocks on, and replace the bolts. The order is: washer, shock, washer, bolt.

The front is bit more tricky. It's in your best intrest to take them somewhere that will swap them out. Remove them from the truck (3 14mm bolts on top, and 1 19mm bolt on the bottom), take them to a shop to change out the shock for you, and reinstall. You'll have to make sure they put the top plate on correctly, as some shops have a tendency not to :\

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
you've got to be kidding me??? what kind of fawking morons do you hang out with???? who the fawk uses a torch to take off shocks???? its not fawkin brain science

·
Registered
117 Posts
i got 2 RS9000s for the rear sitting in my garage ill give you for $20 bucks... im in cotati

they got some dents in them but they would be a lot better than the ones on your truck now.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
LavosTRD said:
you've got to be kidding me??? what kind of fawking morons do you hang out with???? who the fawk uses a torch to take off shocks???? its not fawkin brain science
I was kinda thinking the same thing.

If you are replacing your shocks and the first tool that comes to mind is a torch, please use the torch on your nutsack so that you cannot continue to contaminate the gene pool.

Thanks,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
NorCal4life21 said:
Are your current shocks done? Or are you replacing them to upgrade to something better?

I hear you can torch them off, at least that's what I read on TTORA.

Later,
....Mike

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
97TacoDude said:
One thing to remember when replacing shocks: do NOT torch them off. Someone I know did that because he couldn't wrestle them off the mounts and one exploded right in front of him. He was a mess but luckily he can still see. The shochs are charged with oil and gas and can't be cut or torched.
NO kidding? we are actually having a wrench-a-ton and would love for you to deminstrate the proper method to torch them off the truck. We will have a camera feed live to the darwin awards. I hope you can attend.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
97TacoDude said:
You know extremely dumb people.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sorry it took me some time to get back to this thread. im just lookin to replace the 5100's. I do want to upgrade, i want to get into some ranchos or pro comps, but i dont know if the RS5000s are an upgrade from the Bilsteins.

·
Registered
117 Posts
they are 9000s not 5000s....and those stock pos bilseins, they are an upgrade. 9 postions adjustable. i get them at cost for 60 a piece. like i said they are just sitting there collecting combwebs. they are yours if you want them

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, i would like to come get a look. give me a PM to tell me when you are available.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Chassis height

AK98Taco said:
Also check your chassis height and ensure that it is to spec. If you need the specs, I can get them for you.
I'd like to know what the chassis specs for a 99 Tacoma, extended cab, V6, 4x4 would be? Where do you get this info AK98T?
Cheers,
P

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Measure the ground clearance from the center of the spindle to the ground (at proper tire pressure) and from the center of the cam bolt (lower control arm) to the ground. The difference should be 48 mm or 1.89 inches.

For the rear, measure the ground clearance of the center of the bolt on the forward leaf spring hanger and measure from the center of the rear axle to the ground (at proper tire pressure). The difference should be 50 mm or 1.97 inches.

Make sense?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts