TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was sent to me this morning, I know some of you guys shoot out there also.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Shooting nixed in Pawnee area after near misses
By Kieran Nicholson
The Denver Post

Posted: 07/09/2009 01:18:56 PM MDT
Updated: 07/09/2009 03:51:58 PM MDT
Recreational shooting on 280 acres of the Pawnee National Grassland has been shut down after recent incidents in which people were nearly hit with gunfire.

"Despite additional signage, increased patrols and education efforts, irresponsible shooting behavior has escalated" at the grassland shooting area, forcing officials to discontinue recreational shooting at the site in Weld County, according to a media release.

Stray shots have come dangerously close to nearby homes, officials and neighbors said.
"Their right to use the public lands for target shooting should not preclude our right to feel safe in our homes and on our private property," said Ken Stannard, a nearby resident.

The closed area covers less than one-fifth of the Pawnee National Grassland, officials said, and all other areas open to recreational shooting remain available.

Two recent near misses involving neighbors and visitors forced the closure, officials said.
The closed area is a grassland segment located a quarter mile south of Weld County Road 96, between Weld County roads 61 and 63, and one-quarter mile west of Weld County Road 63, between Weld County roads 96 and 94.

The closure will be revisited in a year and may be extended for no more than an additional year, the release said.
Meanwhile, grassland officials plan to conduct an analysis of sport shooting on the grassland with the goal of maintaining safe, sustainable shooting opportunities.

For information regarding the closure or on recreational shooting, visit www.fs.fed.us/arnf/ and click on "target shooting."

Kieran Nicholson: 303-954-1822 or [email protected]

·
Registered
438 Posts
While that sucks because I have gone out there to shoot before, I can understand shutting it down if there's been a bunch of yahoos out there that don't understand firearms safety.

·
Registered
342 Posts
yeah its fun to go out there and pop off a few rounds but when some dumass starts aiming a little high it gets dangerous....and yeah way busy on the weekends, but considering how difficult its getting to find ammo, prolly a good idea anyhow

·
Registered
431 Posts
I saw that on the NFS website on the 3rd when we headed out there. I've never been to that area though, so I'm still not even 100% sure where they're talking about. Only been a couple of times and we always go to that 'first' 'range' right off CR57.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
we go out there a lot but not to the normal shooting area's. Just a bunch of ass hats. We go pretty far into the area. There's an embankment 50yds from a tree that is perfect for setting up a table/reload station. We've only shot 22 rifles and hand guns there no long range stuff though.

·
Registered
358 Posts
is the area they shut down the very first shooting area once you turn off from Hwy 14 and head north on the dirt road?

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
They are building an indoor shooting range (target-time) right next to our neighborhood. Up to 100 yards distnace too!

·
20,355 Posts
Except you usually can not shoot rifles or shotguns in indoor ranges. There is a range a bit out and south of pawnee. It doesnt suprise me they are shutting it down, actually suprised it lasted this long.

·
Registered
431 Posts
is the area they shut down the very first shooting area once you turn off from Hwy 14 and head north on the dirt road?
Not if you're talking about the same place I was. From the detail map on the NFS website and the description given in the article above, I think it's a bit further east and north of that.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
This one being built is being built for rifles - don't know what caliber limitations are - I doubt they have enough trap to stop a .50 safely ...

It's trigger time, I can't seem to find the URL - I'll post it up later.

·
20,355 Posts
That is sweet. still prefer firing in the great outdoors though, but having the controled enviroment of a range cannot be beat as far as getting your wepons sighted in properly.

·
Registered
438 Posts
This one being built is being built for rifles - don't know what caliber limitations are - I doubt they have enough trap to stop a .50 safely ...

It's trigger time, I can't seem to find the URL - I'll post it up later.
There was an indoor range in Loveland until recently (well, maybe it's still open but I know it underwent a management change, used to be Front Range Gun Club) you could fire up to .50 cal and even 12ga slugs.

·
7,735 Posts
There was an indoor range in Loveland until recently (well, maybe it's still open but I know it underwent a management change, used to be Front Range Gun Club) you could fire up to .50 cal and even 12ga slugs.
If you paid enough. I heard it was pretty expensive to join and shoot there.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
The whole appeal to outdoor ranges is that most forest/blm ranges are free. you already have to pay a boat load for ammo these days and with the prices indoor ranges charge you could go broke in a weekend.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you paid enough. I heard it was pretty expensive to join and shoot there.
I totally agree. Except for maybe being able to sight guns in while in near-ideal conditions, I don't really see the appeal of indoor ranges. Especially when we have this much open space redially available to us.

Guess I was trying to say that indoor ranges supporting .50cal shooting wasn't out of the question.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think they were okay with black powder, but mine is actually .54 cal.

·
20,355 Posts
other shooters on the range just might consider anything in a black cloud to be considered "down range"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts