TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a favor for my sister and need to replace her axle bearing. She has the ABS ring and it is beyond what I can and want to do with my tools and press. Any one know of any shops in the N. Phoenix area that can pull the abs ring and press and axle out?

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
The book says to CUT the ABS ring off and replace it with a new one.

I don't know why Toyota seems to go out of their way to make wheel bearing replacement as difficult and complicated as possible but it seems as if they do exactly that. And on both the front and the rear axles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. Looks like I'll be cutting the ring off. Does the book say anything about putting it back on? This isn't a press friendly part. I can't tell if it has a stop machined in the axle for it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
You can try to put the new ABS ring in the oven at around 200 degrees to allow it to expand a little during install. Make sure you use a decent set of oven mitts:D. And then use either a brass punch and hammer or a wood block and hammer. If you got enough room in the fridge or a horizontal freezer throw the axle in there too for a little bit while the ring is in the oven. This method has got me around using a press quite a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts