TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know of a good place to get coilovers rebuilt? im running Sway a away race runner 2.5"ers up front, there basically the same as the camburg or fox or icon if you dont know who sway a way is.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
DIY isn't that hard...may be members near you who can help
or you can send them to Sway Away...approx. $100 for the rebuild.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DIY isn't that hard...may be members near you who can help
or you can send them to Sway Away...approx. $100 for the rebuild.
i would send them to sway away but my truck is my DD so a week or 2 without it prolly wouldnt work, i might try it myself but it looks iffy with out a press.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
If the shafts are pitted, any service is a waste of time without a pair of new shafts, main seal carriers and rod guides, shaft & main seals, and wipers. Probably need a new guide bushing for the piston in this case, too.

If the shafts are fine, the seals are probably fine as well. Change whatever you want, but they probably just need nitrogen.

Rebuilding doesn't take long, assuming you have all the parts you need. Pull them at your place, bring them to mine, we'll sort it out. All I ask is a few bucks for consumables (nitrogen, oil). If the shafts are fine, it's enough to raise the truck so the shafts are at full extension, and add nitrogen...no need to pull them off the truck.

Realistically, doing this easily and efficiently requires two vises, a wall-mounted spring compressor, an impact gun, and a nitrogen tank. Doing without those items is kind of a pain in the ass.

Yes I can help re-shim, no I don't know what shims you need, and unless it's riding stiff, or the compression side isn't already using a flutter shim, or it's rebounding too fast or packing up, there's really no need to mess with it.

-Sean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
devinsixtyseven
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing