Which car should I buy/finance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im graduating soon and i got a pretty good job, so its time to buy a nice new car. I will be making monthly payments on the car, (not a lease), and the most i want to spend is about $30-$35k. It will be my daily driver, and i want a car with a lot of performance, some luxury, and just overall great satisfaction for me. Also, the whole v6 is better than v8 for gas milleage is not really a concern for me.

Here are the cars i am considering...

2007 nissan 350z-reliable, quick, a little too ricer for me though.
2006-2007 infiniti g35 coupe-reliable, quick, good looking.
suburu WRX STi-have heard good things, but im not sure if i like the way it looks.
a used 2001-2005 chevy corvette-UNreliable(according to consumer reports), however very fast, v8!, great looks.
2006-2007 mustang GT-reliability issues, fast, v8!, good looks, heavy, a ford.

...and im not selling the yota, it will now just be used for off-roading.

I would love to hear from guys that either own these cars, have experience with them, their friends own one, have heard good/bad things about them, which one would you get if you were me, etc., etc...

Thanks a lot, and please vote on the poll also..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nissan makes a great product, out of your choices i would choose the G35 if you want some luxury, 350z(track model) for pure performance.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Voted for the 350Z, If you are going to be on icy or non paved roads then I would suggest the WRX

The 350Z is the best handling car in my opinion BASED ON REVIEWS of people that actually race cars. It has been known to compete with and even beat new vettes on tighter tracks. The vette does have the higher speed however.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The G35 is sick, sick, sick...but with minor mods, that WRX is gonna be the funnest car you've ever driven.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Voted for the WRX because I'm a bit biased and those are the cars I work on part-time. They're put together very well, reliable, and definitely safe.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I can speak for 2 of them...

My brother had an '04 350. Handled fantastic, plenty of power (though not awww inspiring), fit and finish was sub-par, mileage was adequate (25-26 hwy). His 350 wasn't a track model but I know his wouldn't out handle the 'vette.

My dad currently owns an '04 vette. Scary handling (meaning scary good), fit and finish is average, mileage is decent (28-29 on hwy). Acceleration is well, fantastic. He has had one problem with the check engine light coming on (dealer says faulty gas cap).

With that said, I have a daughter and need a back seat...so I would vote for the G35 (coupe). Infiniti takes the fit and finish up a couple notches vs. the 350. If you don't ever ned a back seat, I'd take the 'vette in a heart beat. Course I've been a 'vette fan from before I could shave.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I can speak for 2 as well-
My dad was looking for a mid-life crisis mobile and first looked at the 350z. Their interior is bland and plane. The door panels have no style whatsoever. He decided to look at the bling'er g35 coupe. He ended up buying a black 6spd g35 and a month later felt it was underpowerd and hard to drive. In all honesty it is hard to drive it "smooth", there is just something about the clutch and tranny that don't flow together. He sold that and got a c6 automatic vette and has had it since. It has been in the shop 4 times already and had the rear end replaced with less than 6k on the clock. It has had a few electrical gremlins as well. But, it is a disgustingly fast car, faster then anyone needs but you have to get over the whole connotation that corvettes bring with them.......yeah you know the one.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Isn't used corvette jsut as much as G35? Out of cars you listed corvette is the last one I would buy used. My GF is selling her 2003 G35. You should buy it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
KStacoma said:
He ended up buying a black 6spd g35 and a month later felt it was underpowerd and hard to drive. .
They dont come in 6 sp. If you want 6 sp you gotta buy the 350z. G35 has plenty of power and super plush to drive.

·
Registered
472 Posts
01-04 Double Cab Taco, Supercharge, fuel upgrades, gears, small lift just to give it stance.....all in your price range. ;)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Super Doody said:
They dont come in 6 sp. If you want 6 sp you gotta buy the 350z. G35 has plenty of power and super plush to drive.
WTF are you talking about, g35 coupes come w/6 spd manual, I think i'd know since he had one :confused:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Super Doody said:
Both G35 sedan and coupe are available with a 6sp manual.

I own a 2005 350zBase with 48K miles on it. The car is mechanically great. Great drivetrain warrentee, 5yrs/60K. Bumper to bumper is only 4/48 and there is a reason for it.

Engine pulls like no other. The transmission has great shift action. brakes are strong and smooth. Most people say that it handles great casue it is engineered to understeer when pushed hard(safety margin courtesy of Nissan). Its difficult to "steer with the throttle" but when the rear end does go, its very controlled. Great for people with a heavy right foot, but don't be fooled, a 'vete will smoke it.

The fit and finish is sub-par at best. Way lower than my '95 Toyota Celica that was replaced by the Z. The interior looks great, but it begins to rattle after 30K.

Don't get me wrong, its a great car and I do not regret I own it, but my vote goes to the G35 for better build quality.

John

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Seriously - none of the above. First, factor another $1000 or so PER YEAR for insurance.

Second, I assume you mean graduating from college and therefore have student loans. Take the money you would put on a car payment and pay them off early.

If you really want a car to keep the miles of the truck, get a beater DD. (IMHO, ALL DD's become beaters in short order anyways...)

Don't start out in debt - you'll never get out. I wish someone had really educated me on that when I was in/just out of college... if I had all the money I've spent on CC interest, I would be in a huge mansion with a rock buggy, a long travel prerunner, and a couple cars to choose from in the garage!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
KStacoma said:
WTF are you talking about, g35 coupes come w/6 spd manual, I think i'd know since he had one :confused:
I guess they offer it after 2003. Ours has 5 sp auto with tectronic shifiting. Soft, luxury shifts for sure.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
john0087 said:
Both G35 sedan and coupe are available with a 6sp manual.

I own a 2005 350zBase with 48K miles on it. The car is mechanically great. Great drivetrain warrentee, 5yrs/60K. Bumper to bumper is only 4/48 and there is a reason for it.

Engine pulls like no other. The transmission has great shift action. brakes are strong and smooth. Most people say that it handles great casue it is engineered to understeer when pushed hard(safety margin courtesy of Nissan). Its difficult to "steer with the throttle" but when the rear end does go, its very controlled. Great for people with a heavy right foot, but don't be fooled, a 'vete will smoke it.

The fit and finish is sub-par at best. Way lower than my '95 Toyota Celica that was replaced by the Z. The interior looks great, but it begins to rattle after 30K.

Don't get me wrong, its a great car and I do not regret I own it, but my vote goes to the G35 for better build quality.

John
So I'm wrong. But why would you want a 6 sp in plush, lux. sports car. If you want a 6 sp speed go with 350Z which lighter and cheaper.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Super Doody said:
So I'm wrong. But why would you want a 6 sp in plush, lux. sports car. If you want a 6 sp speed go with 350Z which lighter and cheaper.

Never said that anyone wanted a 6sp, just confirming that it is available. Makes no difference to me as to what freak'n tranny someone chooses.

actually, thats lie, I do care. I hate when people buy sports cars with slushboxes.

Did you know that the 'vette is purchased 3x as often with the auto than it is with the 6speed.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts