TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, after 3 years of Tacoma ownership, I am going to lift my truck. This is my 3rd Tacoma, having owned two 95.5 extra cabs in the late 90's and now my 03 DC. I am still debating about whether to go with coilovers or a toytec spacer, but I need a shop near Austin that somebody can recommend. I don't like the daystar lift, and that's all 4Wheel Parts has for a spacer lift.Othewise, I would go there.
What's a good shop to use in the Austin area?

·
Happy, Happy, Happy
5,583 Posts
do it yourself. can you turn a wrench? if so your good to go. talk to some of the others around you and they will be willing to help I am sure. a spacer lift takes no time at all if you have the right tools. A coilover takes even less time (but costs more) if you want to retain the ride quality you have now do coilovers. Spacers will give you a shitty ride, but it is all up to you, you have to ride in it not me!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Travis in Austin has 4WPs 4" lift but like spacecwboy stated; if you can turn a wrench and have a few friends who can help and can follow directions you can put your lift on yourself and save TONS of money!

If you want to go down the shop route you can; but you'll blow tons of money on something you can get done yourself.

I had a spacer lift on my truck for a few years before I went with donahoe coilovers and camburg UCA's.
The ride was alot stiffer and not very fun. But it did give me my lift (with stock bumpers; if you plan on throwing heavier bumpers on I'd suggest coilovers that won't sag as much as spacers would over time w/ heavier bumpers.

You could also c'mon out to Jamboree and ride in some vehicles w/ different types of lifts and see what you like best.

Have a safe New Years!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think I might actually try and do it myself and from both of these replies, I can use the money I save and get the coilovers. If you don't mind, I might PM you if I have a question about the install, but I have to get the parts. My 265/75 nittos will be on by Thursday, so my lift will be going on soon after. Who is Travis?

·
Registered
406 Posts
He's Travisheals on the forums; lives in South Austin and has a Silver Ext. cab w/ the ProComp 4" lift on it.
send him a PM if ya have any questions about the ProComp lift.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yeah dude do it yourself. The hardest part (and I needed a shop for this one) was getting my strut springs compressed to get the top plate off and put the preload spacer in. Other than that it was a breeze, with the usual cussing and such, of course. Shoehorning in the AALs was a pain, but only the first one really sucked. The second one was much easier, but I needed a rachet strap to keep my slip joint from coming apart by that time.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to either do coilovers, if I can find a set cheap enough, or attempt the Tundra coil swap. I think I could get the parts by searching a few salvage yards over the next two weeks, and it seems as though it works great if you get the right combo of coil/strut/shock. If I get the Tundra coils and you are thinking about this lift yourself, anyone is welcome to watch and learn from my mistakes. Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
AFAIK, the tundra coils will only give you about 1-2" of lift. if you go coilovers, it is a straight remove and replace and you have the adjustability to manage ride height. you could probably try to setup a WAT in SA and a few guys would help.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I'm always down to help, goerge and I did his OME coil over swap.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its amazing how much info is out there and how it can vary. There's Bamachem's writeup on yotatech, and it well documented from his first try with 2wd trd coils to the 4wd coils now, but his info is primarily for 4runners. There is a pair of CO's on sale used that I am looking at, but they might be out of my price range so I will have the new tires on for a few weeks before the lift(265/75/16). I am bouncing back and forth from yotatech to ttora to get the info on the tundra coils.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Help is always appreciated. It will be at least a week if not two before the lift. How did the OME springs work out for your friend?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
well I have heard nothing but good things about them and I am about to get some and get rid of my spacer. I have heard a few times that depending on with springs you go with you can get the coilover ride at a better price.

Hopefully goerge will chim in here and tell you what he thinks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
im really liking my OME springs. im a poor college student without the money to buy coilovers, and i probably wouldnt anyways, but these OMEs are great for the money. not to mention a lot of people think they flex better than anything. ive got coils and springs from OME and wouldnt think twice about doing it again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts