TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people have truck boxes in their DC short box trucks? Do they take up too much space? What brand do you have? and of course :worthless

I am trying to decide if I want to get one or not...

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
try this thread:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41167&highlight=tool+boxes
or this one:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44586&highlight=tool+boxes
or:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31915&highlight=tool+boxes
or this one:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26863&highlight=tool+boxes

if I did not have my canopy, I would order the thin deflecta shield one from performance products item# t1323 $320+s/h. It is narrow and goes all the way to the floor with out taking up the entire bed;
performanceproducts4trucks.com

·
Registered
766 Posts
ah64id said:
I read thru all those before asking.. saw a lot of good info.. but figured I'd ask the more specific ?....
Isnt it always great when people give you threads instead of answering your question. Personally, IMO I dont think that you have enough bed room to worry about losing space anyways. And you can always make it so that it is removable like mine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
tbst said:
Isnt it always great when people give you threads instead of answering your question. Personally, IMO I dont think that you have enough bed room to worry about losing space anyways. And you can always make it so that it is removable like mine.
same here, mine is mounted with one "J" bolt on each side hooked into the bed rail system. so it can easily be removed if i need to.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
tbst said:
Isnt it always great when people give you threads instead of answering your question.
Im sure he thought they'd be helpful atleast. Its better than flat out telling someone to search.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tbst said:
Isnt it always great when people give you threads instead of answering your question.

I dont do it here yet, havent been around long enough.... but I have been on yotatech for a while and I do the same thing there.. usually give the typical "search" responce, with some info.. doesnt really bug me...

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
hey Rotorhead: I thought I posted some good info... :D

Check out this pic's towards the bottom of this thread, http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=649988#post649988
It has got some great angle shots showing the factory toyota box mounted in a short bed DC.
IMO Deflecta shield box offers a good compromise since it gives you lockable storage but doesn't take up a third of the bed...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The part number you posted doest show anything specific on performance products... and the deflecta sheild website has no photos... DOH...

I like the OEM box simply beacuse it attaches to the rail system, and if I understad correctly, can be slid along it??

But yeah all I reall want is a box that is 16" deep (4" above the bed rail, 12 below") and 14-16" wide, not the std 20". I also prefer them not to go to the floor as you can keep stuff underthem.. I just need a place to store a chainsaw and other tools etc, and be locked up..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just took my box (OEM) out the other day on my DC short bed. I had it in there for a little over a year, but decided to take it out the other day since I had to remove it in order to rewire my CB antenna. It seems to me that I have a lot more space without it (about 2 feet). I'm going to ride around with it for a bit to see how I really like it, but so far so good. I took everything that I had in my tool box and managed to fit it in the storage spaced underneath and behind the seats.

Also, a note about the OEM box to the previous poster: In theory you could slide it along the rail system (though you would have to loosen the bolts and re-tighten them after you move it), but it has three attaching points - two on each side and one that attaches to the rail below the windows in the front of the bed. So, if you were to slide it along the rails you would be without the third attaching point.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
boydestruction said:
Also, a note about the OEM box to the previous poster: In theory you could slide it along the rail system (though you would have to loosen the bolts and re-tighten them after you move it), but it has three attaching points - two on each side and one that attaches to the rail below the windows in the front of the bed. So, if you were to slide it along the rails you would be without the third attaching point.

Thanks.. paints a little better picture of the mounting...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
ocdropzone said:
hey Rotorhead: I thought I posted some good info... :D

Check out this pic's towards the bottom of this thread, http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=649988#post649988
It has got some great angle shots showing the factory toyota box mounted in a short bed DC.
IMO Deflecta shield box offers a good compromise since it gives you lockable storage but doesn't take up a third of the bed...
I like the OEM box, I've had mine awhile and it attaches easily and holds all my tools, compressor, recovery junk, and more keeping it all secure. The box allows me to keep it all with me all the time so I never forget stuff :rolleyes:

cedarbarn has one and I think someone tried to break into it without success, the locking system is very skookum... Saved all his tools and pissed of the crackhead trying to steal them. His box is still OK too :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
ah64id
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing