TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the front struts on my '97 tacoma, and at the same time install a revtek 3". I've run into the problem of receiving the shorter tacoma strut, when I need the longer one. Does anyone know what strut will work? Are the tundra struts all the longer ones? How about the OME struts? And I've gotten bilsteins that were too short also. I don't want anything fancy, just something that will work without compressing my spring too much.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I want to replace the front struts on my '97 tacoma, and at the same time install a revtek 3". I've run into the problem of receiving the shorter tacoma strut, when I need the longer one. Does anyone know what strut will work? Are the tundra struts all the longer ones? How about the OME struts? And I've gotten bilsteins that were too short also. I don't want anything fancy, just something that will work without compressing my spring too much.
there are no 'longer' struts for the Taco other than Donahoe's extended COs. ...well, OME's N91s are just under 1/2" longer...

With Revtec's top-load spacer you have already done the equivalent of adding a longer shock as that spacer pushes the whole assembly down 1/2".
Go any more and you run into upper ball joints binding at full droop and hyperextending inner CV joints.

stick with OE or equivalent with the Revtec kit.

·
Registered
266 Posts
By "shorter struts" do you mean the d-cab struts? IIRC the factory d-cab struts are a bit shorter than the r-cab and x-cab units. I've got an extra set of x-cab, d-cab and some OMEs that are all off of my truck right now, I'll check them out tonight.

·
Registered
444 Posts
By "shorter struts" do you mean the d-cab struts? IIRC the factory d-cab struts are a bit shorter than the r-cab and x-cab units. I've got an extra set of x-cab, d-cab and some OMEs that are all off of my truck right now, I'll check them out tonight.

i had no idea that the 4door struts were shorter. i knew they were valved differently... is that why 4doors "look" a little lower than other cab configurated trucks? i just kinda assumed that it was beccause of all the extra weight.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I might be off my rocker there, I just remember something about the d-cab strut is different and I think it's the length. I'll know for sure tonight, I've got an assortment of taco struts in the garage to measure.

·
Registered
266 Posts
OK, I got some #s. All measurements are from the center of the bottom bushing to the top of the stem.

02 x-cab non-trd struts are 21"

04 d-cab trd tokios (sp?) are 19 3/8"

OME N91Ss are 21 1/2"

Big difference...

Hope this helps. BTW, does anybody want to buy some struts??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts