TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While out in Parker this Thanksgiving, I noticed something . . I'm long :rolleyes: in some cases too long :rolleyes: . All joking aside, here is what I was thinking, again this is just me thinking out loud. I already have chevy 63 inch springs in the rear, which means I have spring mounts that have already been moved forward. I could perhaps purchase a set of All-Pro 56 inch springs shortening the wheel base by about 7 inches making my 122ish wheel base 115 ish which would help with turning and yet would not detract from my climbing ability. Obviously I would need to bob the front of the bed and of course the rear of the bed, move the shock mounts, shorten the drive shaft.

Do you think all of this work would be worth it or should I just deal with the fact that I am a long man? :rolleyes:

Thanks for your input.

The Tinkerer,
Tim

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I've been debating the same thing with my school bus (127"!) :D ! I think I am going to wait and cut the frame off at the rear of the cab and tube the entire back end out. Planning on using quick-release bobbed glass fenders and a fuel cell also.

·
<null>
1,805 Posts
I'm planning on doing it to my Tacoma. It's a school bus on the trails and 3 point turns with trees leads to dents.

With 7", The only issues possible could be gas tank/axle interference.

I'm going more drastic with 10-11".

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I worry about the gas tank as well, but with the axle articulating to the rear of the truck, would it be a huge issue?

Tim

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have debated this.... For me its not worth the work.... I don't compete, and I have just learned to drive a bus.

Yes some times I would be nice to be shorter, but I have never ran a trail where my WB as hurt me.... if and thing, with the trails we have out here with the huge falls, it helps.

-David

·
<null>
1,805 Posts
Timbuddha said:
Yep, I worry about the gas tank as well, but with the axle articulating to the rear of the truck, would it be a huge issue?

Tim
It depends how stuff on your axle is mounted, i.e. shock placement, u-bolt plates, etc.

Bump stops will also need to be adjusted. After about 7", the axle is no longer under the flat part of the frame, and is near the upward bend. Since you will have to remove the bed to bob it or so whatever to make it fit, lift or relocate the gas tank too.

I'm tearing into mine this spring most likely. I dont wrench below 45*. :p

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Timbuddha said:
While out in Parker this Thanksgiving, I noticed something . . I'm long :rolleyes: in some cases too long :rolleyes: . All joking aside, here is what I was thinking, again this is just me thinking out loud. I already have chevy 63 inch springs in the rear, which means I have spring mounts that have already been moved forward. I could perhaps purchase a set of All-Pro 56 inch springs shortening the wheel base by about 7 inches making my 122ish wheel base 115 ish which would help with turning and yet would not detract from my climbing ability. Obviously I would need to bob the front of the bed and of course the rear of the bed, move the shock mounts, shorten the drive shaft.

Do you think all of this work would be worth it or should I just deal with the fact that I am a long man? :rolleyes:

Thanks for your input.

The Tinkerer,
Tim
Tim,
We did just what you are talking about with RaideRNation's rig. He's at either 115" or 118". We moved his spring hangers forward 15" (chevy's w/buggie springs). He put the gas tank in the bed (going flat bed eventually).
It looks good once you get past the sawzalled bed. But then again... the bed is just going to get thrashed.

I'm also running that wheelbase and it has only hurt me one time I can think of, which was out in AZ rocks on Axle Alley on the first waterfall. Other than that, I have been really happy with the WB, turning radius... that's another story.

Talk to RaideRNatioN (Taylor) he'll have all the info for you! Good luck and have fun cutting!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the info. I'm still deciding whether I should to through with this mod or not. My wife and I are in the process of adopting a few kids, so I will be needing a few more seats soon which means no gas tank in the bed.

I would buy a double cab and build that for more seats, but I just can't afford to build another rig at this point.

Tim

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Timbuddha said:
Thanks guys for the info. I'm still deciding whether I should to through with this mod or not. My wife and I are in the process of adopting a few kids, so I will be needing a few more seats soon which means no gas tank in the bed.

I would buy a double cab and build that for more seats, but I just can't afford to build another rig at this point.

Tim
BODY SWAP! WHEEE! Congrats on adopting man!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wgasa84 said:
BODY SWAP! WHEEE! Congrats on adopting man!
No, no, no body swap for me. I think we might just cut out the back of the cab :saw: and cage the bed, add seats and call it done. I'm just not sure how to accomplish it at this point. :)

Thanks for the congrats.

Tim

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
congrats on the upcoming adoption of kids. :)
I have be debating the shortening of the wheelbase myself Tim. I think I am going to do it, not to much just down to 115"-116" ish, about what you are planning. I think the idea of shorter springs is a great way to acomplish it. I was going to do that but I just built some adujstable spring hangers instead so I can run a myriad of leafs, plus I hated my shitty fab on my first leaf hangers so this was a great time to change it.
I think the location of our tanks is nice for keeping the weight as low as possible. I say just move the tank forward some to accomadate the wb shortening.

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
Tim,
Get a Double Cab Bed and move the axle forward enough to fit the fenderwell. Then cut wheel wells and bob if necessary. Call Jeff at Ballistic and get one of his in developement gas tanks to fit between the rails (and clear the housing in your case). Shorten the driveline and rehang everything. Voila (as if it's that easy).

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Todd- Do you really think I would have to move the tank? Wasn't there a guy on Pirate who bobed his rig and shortened his wheel base without moving the tank?

Tim

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Tim,
I don't know how you will move your rear axle forward and not hit the tank. There really isn't much room to spare, unless you have a ton of lift and no uptravel... hell I tagged my e-locker skid on my gas tank when I ran deavers!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Timbuddha said:
Thanks Todd- Do you really think I would have to move the tank? Wasn't there a guy on Pirate who bobed his rig and shortened his wheel base without moving the tank?

Tim
I think so, you would have to lift it some if you don't move it forward. I dunno, take a peek under the taco and see if there is room to make it work without moving. It always seemed to me that it need to be moved.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wgasa84 said:
Tim,
I don't know how you will move your rear axle forward and not hit the tank. There really isn't much room to spare, unless you have a ton of lift and no uptravel... hell I tagged my e-locker skid on my gas tank when I ran deavers!
True- I guess I will just leave it. I have no freaking desire to move the tank. I actually like it where it is right now. I was looking under the truck and you are right, there isn't much room to move all of that stuff without moving the tank either into the bed or moving it forward.

My problem is that I really like the way the truck climbs, but I just don't like how it turns. It's like the freaking SS Titanic on some of those tight trails in AZ. Aww, heck, maybe I should just fix the stuff that needs to be fixed right now. Like . . .

1. I'm going to need some sort of trac bar up front so that I'm not constantly destroying shackle bushings.

2. I still haven't installed the t-case e-brake that Ballistic sent me.

3. I need to finish installing my winch.

4. I need to tie the cage to the frame.

5. The truck needs a tune up. :)

Ahh well, you always have to look forward to that next project. :welder:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts