TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put some Mobil 1 in when I got home from Kuwait last week for the first time. You can definitely feel a difference. I also got 15 extra miles off my last tank of gas when normally at this time of the year, I lose about 20. Unfortunately, I waited until 150k miles to try it.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
akshunj said:
I put some Mobil 1 in when I got home from Kuwait last week for the first time. You can definitely feel a difference. I also got 15 extra miles off my last tank of gas when normally at this time of the year, I lose about 20. Unfortunately, I waited until 150k miles to try it.
You'll notice your engine turns over much, much easier when the temperature drops as well. That's why I made the switch to Mobil1 after 600 miles.

·
Registered
176 Posts
akshunj said:
Maybe I need to try that too... I get almost 200 miles on a full tank of gas with the plow mounted and only 230 with it off this time of year...

·
Registered
503 Posts
akshunj said:
What wight are you using. Also Walmart had the 5 qt jugs on sale yesterday to anyone interested. 16.88 for 5 qts.

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CMB1998 said:
What wight are you using. Also Walmart had the 5 qt jugs on sale yesterday to anyone interested. 16.88 for 5 qts.

Later,

Chris
5W-30 I got it at Wal MArt but it was $19. I guess it wasn't on sale.

·
Registered
44 Posts
how do you go about switching to synthetic from regular oil?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PismoBoy24 said:
0-30W is the best if you can find it. I've run both Amsoil and Mobil 1, get whatever is easier.
-Chris
I would normally use the 0-W30 in the cold weather but they only had the 5-W30.

·
Registered
47 Posts
VolcomTacoma said:
Why does Toyota recommend 5W-30 as the lowest weight to use?
I think because it's hard to find. I only know of 2 companies that make a 0-30W, Amsoil and Mobil1.

From my charts though, it should be best to use 0-30W for both cold and warm weather, but use whatever you can find.
-Chris

·
Registered
271 Posts
i use considerably thicker oil, infact im changing my oil tomorrow and using 10w-40 (which is the thickest ive ever used, dunno if ill like it yet or not), mainly because my truck is strickly offroad, and is constantly being held at 5000rpm...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
surfpunk
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing