TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for our spring quarter, we have 7 weeks of classes and for the last 3 weeks we have to do an internship at an acute care facility. Our department offers a scholarship to go to China and do your internship there, they pay for travel expenses and for your apartment while you are there. The GPA requirement for this is a 3.5, I currently have a 3.1 so i was like oh well I'll just do it out in OC again like last summer. However on Wednesday during my Quality Improvement class the department chair went up to me and told me that she thinks I should apply for the scholarship i was kinda confused :confused: but she told me "you have nothing to lose". She didn't tell anybody except me and i know some of my peers have better grades than I do. So should I go for it and apply? The experience would be awesome if I could somehow get the scholarship. But I kinda feel like i'm setting myself up for failure but why would she tell me to do it?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tweeter said:
Well if you have nothing to lose...isn't it kind of obvious?
I know its obvious but getting hyped up to later be denied is not my thing. I'll give it my best and i'll let you guys know what happens. :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Don't let this turn into one of those damn I should have tried kind of things. I say go for it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
5vzfe said:
I know its obvious but getting hyped up to later be denied is not my thing. I'll give it my best and i'll let you guys know what happens. :)
you should apply. it's a small time investment with a possibly large reward. get excited, but understand your chances of getting accepted and keep your expectations in check.

if you want to be more successful in the world, you're going to have to get over the fear of rejection. you're applying for an internship... there are going to be much more daunting challenges in your life. think of this situation as practice without any negative consequence.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just thought I'd update you guys. Interview was today and I think it went well. I get the result of their decision on Friday. Wish me luck :kewl:

·
Registered
401 Posts
TacoDell said:
The worse thing anyone can say is... no

If China sounds good to you... then just do it
actually they could say no you bitch, but........ ;)

good luck man, sounds like the chance of a lifetime.

·
Registered
89 Posts
5vzfe said:
they pay for travel expenses and for your apartment while you are there.

there's your answer right there -- they'll pay you to go to China? ummm, yes?

especially if the lady in charge told you to apply; your GPA isn't off by much. if you present a good arguement as to why you're the best candidate, you probably stand a good chance. they should pick the most qualified and the person who will get the most out of the whole experience; not just the highest GPA.

but of course it's up to you if you want free travel or not...... :D

****oh, i just finished reading the thread; good luck!!!!!!****

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
stu said:
You made the right decision. You never even should have asked. Good luck.
I know, looking back i should of just went for it no questions asked, but oh well what is done is done. 1 more day :D

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'M GOING TO CHINA [email protected]!!!!!!!!! :xrocker: :woot:

A big thanks for everybody who wished me luck and told me to go. They were really impressed about my interview and how i had done some research on the hospital and the city its in. Apparently nobody else did that. One of my classmates with a 3.7 didn't get it and i felt really sad for her I was sure she would get it waaaay before i would. I was congradulated by the chair of the department and every single faculty member of the department. I don't know how this week could get better, got my hoes on Monday, lost 10 lbs(the work of 3 weeks dieting), and I'm going to china. The big man is really looking after me. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
16 Participants
5vzfe
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing