TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting one of these puppys for a few years but just can't bring myself to fork out $400 bones. Can anybody justifiy my reasoning for spending this cash? I know I will get a little for Xmas and was thinking about just buying one. They look fun as hell to play with. What do you guys think, will it be worth it??

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have one and they are loads of fun. But I haven't ran mine in a couple of years since life does take up a lot of my time. I do wish I got an E-Maxx which is the electric version of the T-Maxx so I can tear around in the house to piss off the wife. :) And it's less of a hassle with the electric than the nitro with all the glow engine junk like the glow starters, fuel, the mess, etc... I bought mine off eBay already modded for the same price as a new stock one. Try to get one that already has some upgrades since the T-Maxx is a money pit. :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
I would second the electric over the nitro -

I've got a team associated factory team rc10gt buggy... It's the nitro, and it hauls ass outside, but honestly i'd rather have an electric one - not as fast, but just as fun - cause like he said... you could definately run it in the house, and the field equipment stops at some extra batteries...

just my .02

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
wmflyfisher said:
I've been wanting one of these puppys for a few years but just can't bring myself to fork out $400 bones. Can anybody justifiy my reasoning for spending this cash? I know I will get a little for Xmas and was thinking about just buying one. They look fun as hell to play with. What do you guys think, will it be worth it??
You have to justify buying toys? :)

I have one.

It's really fun. It's not $400 though. When you crash at 30+ mph it gets more expensive than that. :D

Later,
....Mike

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
wmflyfisher said:
You could buy mine... :D

Believe it or not...

I have the first generation T-Maxx from when I was working at a hobby store part time... And I have never even fired it up :dunno:... Did a bunch of mods to it and then just thought it was too cool to go and fark it all up... LOL... It's is now just displayed and something I have to dust from time to time... But I put a drop of oil in the cylinder from time to time and turn it over to keep it lubed up...

Get this... I even have the original box, instruction and all the included accessories that came in the kit... Plus a few that were not (Like a rear spool)

Mind you it's not that latest bad ass version... But it was still cool... ;)

I also had 2 E-maxx's and My boy and I play with those cause it was just easier and less maintenance... as well as being cleaner ;)...

I had a shitload of other RC trucks and buggies including the 1/8 scale racing buggies... But I grew bored and have now moved into the rockcrawlin' RC stuff... Thing is they break less cause they go slow... ha ha

If you have an interest to know more... Let me know...

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm debating on the same thing right now. I kinda want a TLT crawler or a buggy just to fart around the jogging trail. The only catch is I want to keep it fun and not go all racey on it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
ive got an original tmaxx, from back when i was single and before i had a kid.... havent touched it in years, and its prettty modded too....

it would seriously only need like $100 to get it running again, but i just dont have the time to play with it anymore

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not sure? Buy a Radio Shack zipzaps monster truck. They are 4wd! I picked one up on clearance for about $10. It is amazing the things that they will handle. If you find yourself wanting more, then get the traxxas.
I lost interest after just a few days, and was relieved that I didn't sink a few hundred dollars into a t-maxx or revo.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i actually want to get an associate rc18mt.... those thigns are electric, highly modifyable and bad ass, oh and tiny

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, I never thought so many people would be in favor of the electric over the nitro?? I just like the nitro better for some reason b/c of the gas motor and everything. I'll have to look into the E-Maxx. So do you have to worry about a lot of things "breaking" with the nitros or worry about them running correctly?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Electric is fun, but there is no sustitiue for nitro. I have owned every version of the Tmaxx, and now own the Revo and I can say that Traxxas has figured it out with the Revo. I used to fight with the original versions all day long and usually went home frustrated, but the Revo performs flawlessly. I can take that thing out and run it until I just get bored, it just runs and runs and runs. With both versions (elec. / nitro) you will have to worry about breaking parts if you crash, it's just that the nitro requires a properly tuned and maintained motor. I suggest taking it to your local hobby store and let them break it in for you and tune it. Nitro can be a bitch, but if you take the time to learn how to adjust your settings it will afford you with years of perma-grin. One thing I suggest you invest in is a thermal temp gauge. I allows you to keep an eye on your cylinder temps. You can detect a problem before you damage your motor and you can tune based off of your readings. Go with the Revo!!!!!

I took mine out to the last Az Rocks and had a huge crowd of people amazed at the speed and how much fun it was. Watching that thing blast down the dirt road and then shift into second gear is an awsome sight.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kaistie said:
Electric is fun, but there is no sustitiue for nitro. I have owned every version of the Tmaxx, and now own the Revo and I can say that Traxxas has figured it out with the Revo. I used to fight with the original versions all day long and usually went home frustrated, but the Revo performs flawlessly. I can take that thing out and run it until I just get bored, it just runs and runs and runs. With both versions (elec. / nitro) you will have to worry about breaking parts if you crash, it's just that the nitro requires a properly tuned and maintained motor. I suggest taking it to your local hobby store and let them break it in for you and tune it. Nitro can be a bitch, but if you take the time to learn how to adjust your settings it will afford you with years of perma-grin. One thing I suggest you invest in is a thermal temp gauge. I allows you to keep an eye on your cylinder temps. You can detect a problem before you damage your motor and you can tune based off of your readings. Go with the Revo!!!!!

I took mine out to the last Az Rocks and had a huge crowd of people amazed at the speed and how much fun it was. Watching that thing blast down the dirt road and then shift into second gear is an awsome sight.
So if I do go nitro, you suggest the Revo 3.3 over the regular 3.3 for the money? How hard will it be to break it in myself?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
wmflyfisher said:
So if I do go nitro, you suggest the Revo 3.3 over the regular 3.3 for the money? How hard will it be to break it in myself?
I do not have the bigger Revo, but I imagine it's a good machine. I would get the latest model.

As for breaking in, I cannot stress the importance of following the instructions to the letter. The one thing I have learned from breaking in all my RC' is that if you don't do it right you will have a poor running motor that you will fight with all the time. The process is not difficult at all, just make sure you do exactly what they say. You WILL get the itch to get on the throttle, but resist those urges. If you break it in properly you will have a motor that fires up right away, stays running, and performs great. If you don't, it will stall, sputter, have flat spots in the power band, get hot and die. Once again, FOLLOW THE BREAK IN INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kaistie said:
I do not have the bigger Revo, but I imagine it's a good machine. I would get the latest model.

As for breaking in, I cannot stress the importance of following the instructions to the letter. The one thing I have learned from breaking in all my RC' is that if you don't do it right you will have a poor running motor that you will fight with all the time. The process is not difficult at all, just make sure you do exactly what they say. You WILL get the itch to get on the throttle, but resist those urges. If you break it in properly you will have a motor that fires up right away, stays running, and performs great. If you don't, it will stall, sputter, have flat spots in the power band, get hot and die. Once again, FOLLOW THE BREAK IN INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER!
Thanks for the advise!

·
Registered
129 Posts
i got a revo also and love it. if this is your first encounter with rc toys you 'may' want to go electric first, just to maximize the fun factor. then if you get tired of electic and want to graduate, move on to nitro. messing with nitro can get time consuming and test your patients - getting an engine dailed-in well is almost an art. be prepared to spend time on setup and tuning. with that said, if you're intent on nitro i would also recommend the revo. the savage is a good basher, but that's about it. the jato is a crazy speed demon, however i wouldn't recommend it to you at this stage of the game. the t-maxx would be a good nitro start, but i think the revo combines the best of all worlds if you're willing to put down the dough.

if you do get the revo, keep posting here and i'll give you some suggestions on upgrades to turn your revo into a bashing tank :) i put in a big block engine that can haul ass and seriously hurt itself.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
reefah said:
i got a revo also and love it. if this is your first encounter with rc toys you 'may' want to go electric first, just to maximize the fun factor. then if you get tired of electic and want to graduate, move on to nitro. messing with nitro can get time consuming and test your patients - getting an engine dailed-in well is almost an art. be prepared to spend time on setup and tuning. with that said, if you're intent on nitro i would also recommend the revo. the savage is a good basher, but that's about it. the jato is a crazy speed demon, however i wouldn't recommend it to you at this stage of the game. the t-maxx would be a good nitro start, but i think the revo combines the best of all worlds if you're willing to put down the dough.

if you do get the revo, keep posting here and i'll give you some suggestions on upgrades to turn your revo into a bashing tank :) i put in a big block engine that can haul ass and seriously hurt itself.
Cool man! If I get one I think I'll go with the REVO 3.3 but it will be around Xmas b/f I get it. So are there any "must have" upgrades or chasis pieces that I really need to get b/f I break the motor in? I really don't plan on bashing the hell out of it. My funds are already weak as is!

·
Registered
129 Posts
here's a review of the 2.5 revo:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=409

and a link to a forum where you get some great info:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_251/tt.htm

the 3.3 revo is better in the sense that it has a stronger engine, center diff, and longer chassis. i think you'll have a lot of fun with the 3.3 engine. the 2.5 was too weak in my opinion for a monster truck.

rc replacement parts can get expensive over time, so i would recommend putting upgraded parts in when the stock ones break instead of doing a straight upgrade and because the revo doesn't have any critical part weaknesses. the front a-arms is a popular part to break. with all that speed and momentum, a crash into a large rock/tree/whatever at the a-arms will break them and possibly bend the tie-rods. you can bend the tie-rods back into shape but the a-arms will be trashed. replace these with the RPM ones ONLY. the stock ones are weak and any aluminum ones are a bad choice because they will bend or break another critical component instead.

there's a lot of stuff you can upgrade when the time comes for replacement, but nothing that I think is crucial before you do your first run. some people swear by using a temp gauge when breaking in, personally i don't use it. there are also many ways to break in a engine, and sometimes the manufactures way isn't the 'best', but now may not be the time for you to do anything other than what the manual tells you to do. if you got the time you can read through the forums and find all kind of suggestions.

after you break in the engine and start doing runs, a roll cage may be helpful if you start to get aggressive. a good cage is full body steel but adds some serious weight that also raises your CG, so turns in grass have to be slow/wide.

a lot of people also like to upgrade the air filter to a motor saver (M/S). it does help a little with more air flow but hardly needed right now. for now have fun with it stock until it breaks or you get bored and want more :) a stock 3.3 can keep the fun factor up for a long time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I also have a 1st gen t-maxx(nitro).

They can take a lot of abuse. I think the only thing they can't handle is skateparks. Big air and landing on a hard surface literally wears them out and shatters plastic parts.

I personally want to get that new revo with the larger engine and off my two other rc's.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts