TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I haven't been on here in over a year, but I know you guys have more knowledge than me, so I thought I'd get some opinions. Let me start by saying that I love my truck, even though it's quite out of shape (like me). I've never put a For Sale sign on it, but over the years I've had many random knocks at the door asking if I wanted to sell it...I've always said "heck no, that's my baby!" Well, I still don't want to sell it, but the longer it sits the more I think that expendable income I'm waiting on to dump into it is a myth. Selling it might not be a bad idea. A guy recently offered me $2500 cash on the spot, and though I was tempted, I'm pretty sure I need at least $3500. KBB says $5000 in fair condition, so I feel I'd be getting taken at $2500. What would you do?

Here's a link to the truck in question.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124021

'98 Tacoma 4wd ext. cab, 3.4L V6, 5 speed
95000 miles
ugly but functional

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I'm shure the general conscensus around here will be to keep it. I for one know what its like to get a lil special enjoyment from tooling around with an old toy, and epescially the enjoyment of wheeling and just generally getting a break from everyday life.
It seems you have assesed the cost of repairing your taco , or mabye you think its out of reach. I started year ago with a totaled 85 and now have one bad rig, but it ws a slow process. These things just don't happen over night. Between the origonal $450 purchase of my rig in 03/04 and now I have learned so much mechanical skill I could prolly open a fab shop. It all started with an idea that I would pick up a cheap 3rd vehicle to tool around on, and has turned into an obsession.
None of us know exactly what your going through but most of us have been in your shoes in some way or the other. If it is paid for then your not loosing anything by letting it sit till your ready to do something with it. If you are giving up on the dream, then......good luck with the sale.

OK, I haven't been on here in over a year, but I know you guys have more knowledge than me, so I thought I'd get some opinions. Let me start by saying that I love my truck, even though it's quite out of shape (like me). I've never put a For Sale sign on it, but over the years I've had many random knocks at the door asking if I wanted to sell it...I've always said "heck no, that's my baby!" Well, I still don't want to sell it, but the longer it sits the more I think that expendable income I'm waiting on to dump into it is a myth. Selling it might not be a bad idea. A guy recently offered me $2500 cash on the spot, and though I was tempted, I'm pretty sure I need at least $3500. KBB says $5000 in fair condition, so I feel I'd be getting taken at $2500. What would you do?

Here's a link to the truck in question.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124021

'98 Tacoma 4wd ext. cab, 3.4L V6, 5 speed
95000 miles
ugly but functional

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
DUDE, we thought you had fell off the edge of the planet (its square you know)

I say KEEP IT, you can get a fender cheap. you already have the tires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Naw Glen, I'm still around, just been real busy. Had a baby girl last summer, and she pretty much takes up all of my time not spent at work or asleep. Heck I haven't even mounted up all those tires yet. I got one mounted and put on my truck cuz I had a slow leak I got tired of always filling, but the others still sit, along with the other 3 Eagle Alloy Bajas.
I'm also holding onto new upper & lower BJs and inner & outer TREs. I figure all that stuff needs to be installed at the same time so I can get it aligned properly. Then maybe I'll feel safe taking it over 45-50mph. When I get to that point I'll actually be able to drive it to a trailhead and wheel it.
As for the fender, I'd prolly yank that passenger off to match before I'd get a new driver side. If I could, I'd cut off the whole front unibody subframe and tube it out...ya know anybody that's done that to a Tacoma? I know there'd be a lot of stuff to relocate, but I don't see why it couldn't be done. Of course I'd like to tie that tube in to a cab exo and back-halfed rear, but let's be honest...I haven't even put your tires on yet. Actually, I did load them and the rims up in the truck and took them to walmart, but they refused to mount them due to liability issues. But im sure I'll find some shop to do it at some point. I also need to get those ball joints pressed in.
As you can tell, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna sell it, just wanted to see what kind value you guys think it holds. I don't know, but I personally think it's worth well over $2500...so NO DEAL!!!
And gittinit, thanks for the advice, and when you open that fab shop, I'd like to be a customer. I envision my truck with a LOT of tube, and you seem to be the local expert with that

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
hey, my old tire guy will mount and balance for $13

not sure whats around LittleRock but I know Walmart will NOT do it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
newman99
trade you for a 94 4 runner with 117??? miles good AC auto V6 ???? Let me know
Dude, I AM looking for a 4Runner, but of the '04-'07 variety...Sport Edition 4WD, V6, 60-80K miles with a moonroof & rear spoiler, prefer white, silver, then black...but it's gotta be selectable 4WD, not that AWD stuff. I think I'd rather have the option for 2WD if I want. What's you guys' take on that, I like the idea of the center diff lock, but I'm a little wary on that, except maybe for a car (Subaru).
I haven't had much luck anywhere close running this specific search, so I'm good for now just waiting on one to come around.

In the meantime...

cztheman64
turn it into a trail rig! no need to sell..
That's what I'm talkin bout, has always been my plan, just need to get off my arse and into my junk. Just so happens I managed to get the day off Wednesday (don't ask), and I had to take a load to the dump. I figured I'd include the two trash tires in my truck bed, only problem was they were still on my stock wheels. I grabbed a crow bar and a screwdriver and gave all of a minute-and-a-half of effort before I decided "eff it, I've got an overdue date with a tire shop." So I loaded up the tires I bought off Glen a year-and-a-half ago and the wheels I bought off a donor junker I scavenged back in '06 and finally did something worthwhile.

Before

After

Reckon I better do somethin bout that rubbin, so...

And just cuz I said I would...

So now,

Next Up...

BJs & TREs

It's like a blank slate guys...suggestions welcome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts